HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:01 PM
When in doubt, mumble
United States, NC, Lincolnton
Joined May 2008
166 Posts
anyone replaced the stock motor in this thing? Want a little more power. With the gopro on top it is a struggle to gain altitude. Video sure looks good tho.
TyCarp is offline Find More Posts by TyCarp
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:58 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCarp View Post
anyone replaced the stock motor in this thing? Want a little more power. With the gopro on top it is a struggle to gain altitude. Video sure looks good tho.

You can prop the stock motor up so you are drawing more power from the motor, the stock prop is a 5x5. You will get better performance without risking burning your windings if you went to like an APC 6x4e, assuming you are running a 3S lipo, if you are running 2S lipo, you can go with an APC 6x5.5e.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
fernley, NV
Joined Apr 2007
271 Posts
I tried the 6x4 apc, the ESC got VERY hot without proper ventilation. You need to cut an air in and air out else you will melt your esc with that prop.
xylqrm is offline Find More Posts by xylqrm
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:51 PM
When in doubt, mumble
United States, NC, Lincolnton
Joined May 2008
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
You can prop the stock motor up so you are drawing more power from the motor, the stock prop is a 5x5. You will get better performance without risking burning your windings if you went to like an APC 6x4e, assuming you are running a 3S lipo, if you are running 2S lipo, you can go with an APC 6x5.5e.
That's good to know. I'll give it a try, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylqrm View Post
I tried the 6x4 apc, the ESC got VERY hot without proper ventilation. You need to cut an air in and air out else you will melt your esc with that prop.
I cut to the chase and moved my esc outside the plane and cut slits for the wires to run back in under the canopy. Doesn't even come down near warm. Doesn't look good but I'm a function over looks kinda guy. Find a good cook, marry her
TyCarp is offline Find More Posts by TyCarp
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:25 AM
There's Always a Way
Australia, NSW, Stonehenge
Joined Mar 2008
66 Posts
Solo Eagle Wing hybrid

I finally got someother projects out of the way so after my disastrous crash on the slope flying inverted, I'm putting together the wings and spare tail on a new fuselage. I want to discover why the ailerons were not as responsive as the CloudsFly despite bieng bigger. THe fuz is based on an EagleWing which has the same winspan. THis is my first build of a polystyrene fuselage and already I can see I'll cut my build time down considerably on traditional construction methods on this and future projects. I'm covering with white paper that came as packing. It has a semi-gloss on one side and is the perfect finish for iron on film. I'm using traditional 'Solarfilm' which I've used since I started building in 1976. First pictures of the process and more to come.
I was going to use a Moxie motor which is used on the CloudsFly. I felt this had plenty of power and assumed it would be better on this new project. A bench test however, with same ESC, battery, balanced 7" prop, shows the Moxie provides 300 grams of thrust while the Solo motor is a massive 750 grams! What a difference. Lesson - never "assume" anything.
26th July 2012. Flew maiden today. Trim was good but the normal pitch balance point was way out so I removed most of my balast and the balance is about halfway along the wing chord. I put this down to the high angle of the wing. has good lift without power which is what I wanted to achieve.
Peterperfect is offline Find More Posts by Peterperfect
Last edited by Peterperfect; Jul 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
will maiden

About to try mine out, covered wings and fuse with 5mil laminate film.

First V tail i have tried.

Fingers crossed.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Bad Maiden

Flew it today, motor and or controller fried after 30 seconds or less.
Motor only oscillates back and forth and controller gets extremely hot.

Pissed beyond belief !!!!!

Tim
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Repaired

Fised Motor issue and flew successfuly last evening. Used a 2200 3s battery to balance on servo wires. Need some final balancing but flew fine. So porposing but recovers if you leave it in neutral for a bit.
Hardly used the battery mostly just floating around, had some breeze that helped keep it up but also would blow it around a bit.

Watch for vibration, the supplied prop adaptor does not run true and motor shaft either. I cut motor shaft off, helped, did not use spinner, way out of balance and did not run true, balanced prop with tape. All of together made terrible vibration.
Acceptable now but still needs a different prop adaptor.

Never heard fro HK just fixed it myself, no support at all from them.

Looks like a keeper.

Tim
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
2 flights on repaired and all went well then 3rd flight I must have been going too slow and it snapped and spun into ground, repairable but not looking as nice as it did.

Tim
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, IA, Sioux City
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
I've had three of these and on order for my fourth. I had my first one for months. I put some protective packing tape on the bottom as its going to take some rash coming in for landings. I mounted a small camera on top and have flown the heck out of these. I even emailed the guys ate Bridgesky who really took care of me. I also had a prop balancing issue which made snap right off in flight. Fortunately, on that flight I had full control of all surfaces and glided it right in.

Not once have I taken this to anywhere close to a "soaring" area. I flew it in a flat field at Fort Benning, GA for hours on an 1800-2200 mah, 11.1 battery, which everyone has laying around from Parkone. The control I had with this aircraft is the best of any plane I've owned. For such an inexpensive foamy, thats a strong statement but for example, coming in for a landing, crosswind picked up, conditions changed when I was literally inches off the deck but high and fast enough to do some damage, I just circled around at about 3-4 feet until the conditions were perfect and dropped it at me feet. I love it and cannot wait for my next one to arrive. Rocky, ya did great brotha

Master Sergeant Todd Landen
todd.landen@us.army.mil if you have any questions.
LandenTD is online now Find More Posts by LandenTD
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:43 AM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
959 Posts
removed by author
Cathay Stray is online now Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Feb 07, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:08 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
533 Posts
Ive just bought one today...now its just the 6week wait for delivery.

Is the v-tail or the T-tail better when used on this plane??
Does it make mach difference on this plane, It wont be fast or super agile either way I'd imagine.
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:41 PM
S.R.V.
United States, FL, Melbourne Beach
Joined Nov 2012
34 Posts
Be wary of the ESC in this plane.

On my maiden with it the ESC overheated and caused a RX brownout.

My plane got damaged to say the least...
krytikul is offline Find More Posts by krytikul
Old May 17, 2013, 10:24 AM
Joined Apr 2013
1 Posts
How to order?

Hi Guys. This looks like a nice alternative to the AXN, but how do you order? I found the web site, but no prices or way to order online.

Thanks,
Dashman
Dashman42 is offline Find More Posts by Dashman42
Old Nov 15, 2013, 03:29 PM
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Nov 2013
2 Posts
Solo 1500 Stock Motor Shaft Size ?

I'm ordering Solo 1500 from HK/USA and would like to add Folding Prop 6x4 .
(ESC Upgraded =30amp).
Can anyone please tell me Stock Motor Shaft Size ? ( 3mm/4mm.....???)
Anyone else added Folding Prop to Solo 1500 ? Suggestions?
Thanks.
NCMAX is offline Find More Posts by NCMAX