HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:18 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,910 Posts
Awesome info!
thank you

has anyone done any performance mods to this plane?

thanks
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:23 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Hi Guys

I got a Mossie a couple of weeks ago. The maiden flight was very eventful, took her out in a a little breeze, but as with others i have now read about (didnt know this before i flew her) she was very tail heavy. The flight was very eventful, but managed to get her down in one piece after a couple of minutes of messing with the trim first to try and sort her out.

I then decided to read this forum found out about the tail heavyness. I first tried a small 10 c coin (South African) which helped alot, but eventually i used a 20c coin which made a huge difference. I had three awesome fights with her yesterday, she flies and sounds beautiful.
Nobby33 is offline Find More Posts by Nobby33
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:47 AM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,092 Posts
Where do you guys place the coin exactly? I can't fit anything under the nose cone (plastic battery cover). The most I managed was a couple of small watch batteries with tape under the cover, but then I have to push the battery back a little. I'm just on the verge of the cg and any breeze still pushes the nose up a lot...
gadorey is online now Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadorey View Post
Where do you guys place the coin exactly? I can't fit anything under the nose cone (plastic battery cover). The most I managed was a couple of small watch batteries with tape under the cover, but then I have to push the battery back a little. I'm just on the verge of the cg and any breeze still pushes the nose up a lot...
Just go to a 500Ma battery and you will be fine, you can fly it until your thumbs fall off!
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:38 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Awesome info!
thank you

has anyone done any performance mods to this plane?

thanks
Some are trying brushless setups. But we arent very motivated becuase stocl the Mossie has ALOT of power. Very high thrust to weight to the point where you can point the nose up firewall the throttle and she goes and its unscale!!!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Some are trying brushless setups. But we arent very motivated becuase stocl the Mossie has ALOT of power. Very high thrust to weight to the point where you can point the nose up firewall the throttle and she goes and its unscale!!!
That's what I wanted to hear!!
my UM Spitfire lacks power to go vertical.. it just falls out of the sky when I try that sport flying..
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Well i wouldnt say the mossie goes vertical, but it can do a very aggressive climb.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:37 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Well i wouldnt say the mossie goes vertical, but it can do a very aggressive climb.
Swapping the factory battery with a Hyperion 240 adds just enough thrust that it can takeoff nearly vertically... maybe an 85 degree climb.

With the factory battery, not so much.

Might have to make a parallel connector and try dual Eflite 25C's to see how these do.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Swapping the factory battery with a Hyperion 240 adds just enough thrust that it can takeoff nearly vertically... maybe an 85 degree climb.

With the factory battery, not so much.

Might have to make a parallel connector and try dual Eflite 25C's to see how these do.
That's good enough for me
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:01 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Either way, there's not much point doing motor mods, maybe things to make the motors last longer, but that's it.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,910 Posts
what about different props?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Ohhh---But contraire!!!

I'm about to experiment with Bravo SX motors that have proven to supply waaaay more power than the stock motors...The issue is with the reversed motor is requiring the brushes on the reversed motor being "reversed"....I'm going to put a Bravo SX motor on the "normal" rotating prop and take apart a stock Mossie reversed motor and use the reversed brushes from the end cap of the stock Mossie motor to get the Bravo SX motor rotation correct with reversed brushes...

I posed using the stock Mossie motor reversed brushes in a Bravo SX motor question in the "Bravo SX/Solo Motor" thread but with no reply...I guess that I'm the guinea pig for this mod...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Oct 08, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:10 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
BL55 no one has tried different props, couple reasons.
1. It has plenty of power.
2nd, but really utmost, any bigger the prop and youll dice up the nose.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Ohhh---But contraire!!!

I'm about to experiment with Bravo SX motors that have proven to supply waaaay more power than the stock motors...The issue is with the reversed motor is requiring the brushes on the reversed motor being "reversed"....I'm going to put a Bravo SX motor on the "normal" rotating prop and take apart a stock Mossie reversed motor and use the reversed brushes from the end cap of the stock Mossie motor to get the Bravo SX motor rotation correct with reversed brushes...

I posed using the stock Mossie motor reversed brushes in a Bravo SX motor question in the "Bravo SX/Solo Motor" thread but with no reply...I guess that I'm the guinea pig for this mod...

Kevin
bring on the power bro!!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:32 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Ohhh---But contraire!!!

Kevin
Why not just try it without contra rotating props?
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install