Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob00 View Post
first ever run
happens during "loading aircraft"
happened after deleting the xml as well
Hi Jumbob00,
I'm sorry, I misinterpreted your first message, on further inspection it seems to be related to the fact that your are running in the French locale. Probably switching '.' and ',' in the aircraft parameter file (which is strange because I'm running in the similar Belgian locale). If you're still up for it, could you send me a screenshot of the entire errormessage (the one containing "at cv.b(String A_0)"), you can PM me, or send me an email at info(at)rcdeskpilot.com. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rota
Works perfectly! It automatically calibrated my controller inputs, the graphics are great, and the flying physics are pretty good! I really like what you've done here. Great work.
Rota, thanks for the feedback!
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2009, 10:16 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Hi Jumbob00,
I'm sorry, I misinterpreted your first message, on further inspection it seems to be related to the fact that your are running in the French locale. Probably switching '.' and ',' in the aircraft parameter file (which is strange because I'm running in the similar Belgian locale). If you're still up for it, could you send me a screenshot of the entire errormessage (the one containing "at cv.b(String A_0)"), you can PM me, or send me an email at info(at)rcdeskpilot.com. Thanks!

Rota, thanks for the feedback!
Davy
indeed this is french locale, i will try again tonight and send you whatever error i may get
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Nov 02, 2009, 01:53 PM
Brussels, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
"You finished in 1:19.898"

Love this sim, pylon racing is great!

I can't image what it will become when people start creating models and scenery for it, this is way better then FMS ever was. Congrats!
kodel is offline Find More Posts by kodel
Old Nov 03, 2009, 10:13 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
sorry i forgot to test. i hope i wont today
Old Nov 04, 2009, 01:27 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
Quote:
sorry i forgot to test. i hope i wont today
i confirm changing locate to us english fixes it
the .par files have . for number separator and , for values separators
probably u can fix that somewhere so it understand it properly
Old Nov 04, 2009, 02:12 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
i confirm changing locate to us english fixes it
the .par files have . for number separator and , for values separators
probably u can fix that somewhere so it understand it properly
Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix it as soon as possible!
Davy
Old Nov 15, 2009, 01:49 PM
Brussels, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
Just to let you know that I wrote a blog post about R/C DeskPilot:

http://delvauxkoen.blogspot.com/2009/11/rc-deskpilot-new-and-free-simulator-for.html
Old Nov 15, 2009, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodel View Post
Just to let you know that I wrote a blog post about R/C DeskPilot:

http://delvauxkoen.blogspot.com/2009/11/rc-deskpilot-new-and-free-simulator-for.html
Thanks Kodel, appreciate it!

I'll be releasing the flightmodel SDK soon (more info here).

Davy
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:24 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,923 Posts
I just popped into this thread to thank you for introducing a new sim to the freeware sim realm.

Although FMS is old and hoary, it does some things quite well and ggunners comments do apply. I make 3D models for FMS and Targetware, I also do the FM for both of these and I've learned some valuable lessons along the way.

Targetware and FMS uses a user text editable flight model/damage model, and targetware has in addition, text editable graphics animation and AI for aircraft guns and scenery weaponry ( it's a combat sim foremost..) Also in Targetware, the flight modeling files are closely tied to the structure of the 3D model, although in no way as tight as X-Plane.

One thing that would make your sim better would be easy importing of other format 3D files. (This is of course a selfish desire as I have a bunch of 3D models.) With the advent of Blender you can just about convert nearly any 3D file to any other using their Python scripts.

I'd also like to see some backwards adaptability in your sim for older video cards, and those of us running hoary old 32 bit OS's, would be nice, since freeware users tend to be on a tight budget and would tend to use older systems and OS's.

What Gary said about airfoils is quite right, what he said about overall drag areas also is important. I'd consider using a flight model built on data tables, with non airfoil, (wings,) surface lift areas, side lift area, (and drag,) propeller torque, and flow of propeller airflow ( prop blast?) over all the affected flight airfoils and fuselage surfaces. You can actually model some of this crudely in FMS, given enough time and using Wordpad, the PAR files would get out of hand quickly.

Do you use Javafoil to make your airfoil data?

Could we import or customize the motors like FMS allows in their PAR file? You can create in FMS, really reasonable simulations of motor drives both electric and fuel.

Sorry, I've got a lot to say, new sims get me excited.

Just some random babbling from an old sim model maker.

Thanks

Lewis
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Last edited by Looooeeee!; Nov 15, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 09:54 AM
Joined Sep 2009
46 Posts
I can confirm this runs great on Windows 7 64bit, I have Radeon 4870 with the last drivers that came out yesterday.

I just used a joystick to try it, need to try setting up my DX5e next.
rknbhg is offline Find More Posts by rknbhg
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:25 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Lewis,
thank you for your comments. Like with ggunners, your comments are very useful.
I use the same .x format as FMS for the 3D models, with seperate files for the control surfaces.
You may have already looked at my .par files describing the aircraft parameters. It is in human readable XML format. I do use datatables for lift and drag coefficients. I still have a lot of work to do on the flight model part, in particular the propulsion is in a very crude form at the moment.
Something you might be interested in is that I'll be releasing an SDK for the flight model soon. This will allow you to write your own flight model code as a plugin (not just the aircraft parameters). Someone with more aerodynamic expertise (who also kindly provided me with Cl and Cd graphs) is trying it out at the moment.
At a later stage I hope to release an easy-to-use editor (maybe with ggunners suggested sliders in a 'basic mode') to create your own aircraft. But that's unfortunately not for tomorrow.
I plan to have a look whether I can easily import FMS models as this would of course instantly multiply the number of models available.

rknbhg,
thank you for letting us know your Windows 7, 64-bit results.

I have one development screenshot I would like to share, it might be of interest for Malc C

Cheers,
Davy

Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:50 PM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
I have one development screenshot I would like to share, it might be of interest for Malc C
Cheers,
Davy
Not just Malc! Eagerly awaiting a new beta with HELIS HELIS HELIS...

All planks and no blenders makes shiz a dull boy...
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Nov 20, 2009, 06:44 AM
Bedlington, United Kingdom
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
hi, will a GWS T6A tx work with this??
michaellown is offline Find More Posts by michaellown
Old Nov 21, 2009, 04:08 AM
Brussels, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
Yes, I'm using one with it. But you need to install PPJoy, to let the GWS tx work as a joystick under windows
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:14 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
L

Cheers,
Davy

Yessss we have a heli.......

can't wait to give it a whirl
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C