HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2001, 07:01 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,811 Posts
Art Hobby Elster

anyone know anything about the Art Hobby Elster? i've searched the web high and low, but could not find any reviews of it. it's a beautiful plane, and the price has recently come down to $136 USD, so i'm getting interested.
http://www.arthobby.com/gliders/elster.htm

thanks,
ben
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2001, 08:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
Try the April edition of Model Airplane News. I tried to buy one from Global Hobby and all they would say is "Sorry discontinued"....
If you hear of someone selling them I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanx,

Bernie
N6UBO is offline Find More Posts by N6UBO
Old Jul 30, 2001, 02:26 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,811 Posts
you can order them straight from art hobby's web site. http://www.arthobby.com/

i'm definitely going to get an elster. art hobby told me via email that their prices will be going down in august due to exchange rate fluctuations!
Old Jul 30, 2001, 03:14 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,811 Posts
what about the art hobby j.k. thermic? i'm undecided about whether to go with a larger sailplane, or stick with a HLG.
Old Jul 30, 2001, 04:28 AM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
All of Art Hobby's planes are excellent! I have the Falco which I set up for the slope and it flys a lot better than a $136.00 plane should. I also have the Sierra 2.5, as yet unbuilt. Excellent quality. They also make the 'Electro-Goofy' that Hobby Lobby is now carrying...
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411
Old Jul 30, 2001, 08:00 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
The JK Thermic also caught my eye, looks like a nice plane. What kind of flying are you going to be doing? and where?, of the bluffs locally, or the hill next to Laguna Niguel regional park? I use to fly down there years ago when I lived out that way.

Bernie
Old Jul 31, 2001, 03:09 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,811 Posts
hi N6UBO. i usually fly at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa. the flying field is just behind Estancia High School. i've also flown the cliffs near "Dog Beach" in Huntington. what's the story on the place in Laguna Niguel you mentioned? is that the one right on the water?
Old Jul 31, 2001, 07:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
Hi Ben 74
I had forgotten about FairView Park, been gone from CA about 6 yrs now. Go Down LaPaz until you get to the Federal Bldg aka the Ziggeraut, kinda of a pyramid looking building. Take a right at the light just south of there, I think that's Alsio Creek Rd. That use to curve to the left, but it's probably a large intersection with a light now, they were just starting to develop it when I left. Go left and there's a steep hill about 200 yards up on your left, across from where the old Olympic Training Center use to be. There's a nice ocean breeze that comes up the canyon most of the day. Use to be that the gas fellas would fly off the Fed Bldg's parking lot until noon, then the glider guys would take over, at least that was the convention. There's a freq board on top of the hill. Let me know if it's still there, and good luck.

Bernie
Old Aug 02, 2001, 07:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
Hi guys, I called Hobby Lobby today, and the helpful knowledgable fella who answered the phone said that if it's not on the web page "...we ain't got it, man." Will try Saturday and see if I get someone who knows anything about it.

Bernie
Old Aug 03, 2001, 10:19 AM
MD
Joined Jun 2001
39 Posts
I saw that plane the Art Hobby Elster at the CASA flying field in MD 2 weekends ago. The owner was very happy with the plane and said that he'd really enjoyed it and caught many beautiful days of flying with it.
-L.
kiwip is offline Find More Posts by kiwip
Old Aug 04, 2001, 08:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
I talked with Andre yesterday, very nice fella. I'll be sending him and order for both the Elster and Thermic very shortly. Se sent me a URL of the Calibri being discis launched, aka side arm launched. WOW!!!

He says that all of his HLG's are, in his words, "Perfect for SAL"
http://www.inmat.pw.edu.pl/bjanusz/d...s/colibri1.mpg

Bernie
Old Aug 04, 2001, 09:40 PM
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2000
982 Posts
I've had my eye on the Elster for awhile but the review in Model Airplane News has made me reconsider. In order to achieve proper cg the reviewer had to add 1 oz of weight to the nose and ended up flying the Elster at a relatively heavy 12 oz. The wingloading at this weight is 5.3 oz/sq.ft which is really marginal for top performance in a hand launch glider. Assuming that with extreme forward placement of gear proper cg could be obtained without nose weight it might be possible to get the AUW down to 10.5 oz which would give one a decent but not great wingloading of 4.6 oz/sq. ft. Anyone else have this concern? The specs say the airplane can be built as light as 9.5 oz but I have to wonder considering that the reviewer used very lightweight gear.

Greg
greg morrison is offline Find More Posts by greg morrison
Old Aug 04, 2001, 10:56 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,811 Posts
yeah, it seems like you could find a lighter plane than the Elster, but i'm really into it for the looks. the thing is a work of art, and i'm fairly confident that i can thermal a plane with 5oz of wingloading. hell, i've thermaled my 20oz 1.5m motor glider...
Old Aug 04, 2001, 11:00 PM
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2001
1,239 Posts
Have I missed something here? Is there a way for non Polish speaking folk to order from Art Hobby page?
Noone seems to sell these any more.
dang is offline Find More Posts by dang
Old Aug 05, 2001, 09:17 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
I saw that in the review also, but I also saw that he finished it with a water based poly of some type. I'm thinking that he added a little weight to the tail, and needed a full once in the nose to balance it out.
I think I would also be tempted to balance the plane by waiting until everything's together before I finalized the wing position.

Bernie