HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:02 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,476 Posts
Discussion
FPV Maritime Heli...from scratch

OK, here's my next project. A FPV RC Heli.

I was 1:1 scale pilot with around 2500 hours in big helis...but I can't fly an RC heli to save my life. When I started flying RC planes, it was a slow start until I put a camera on the plane and goggles on my face. Hopefully, I "get it" with helis as well.

The goal is to be gain enough skills to take-off, fly around and land from the back of a kayak.

I got a Honey Bee King 2 for Christmas, last year. I'm going to start with that.

It took me about 6 monts of thinking and testing before I got to the light house. This will be a longer project. Be patient. Hope you stick around and help.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Sep 30, 2008 at 08:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:19 AM
Defrost the chicken!
Duluth, GA
Joined Sep 2008
83 Posts
Helis sink real fast!
talbot is offline Find More Posts by talbot
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:52 AM
Joined Mar 2008
495 Posts
it would be pretty foolish to land a heli that close to yourself especially when you are trapped in a kayak unable to run away (maybe you have a really big kayak). don't underestimate the power of a blade strike from a small heli, or the motion induced by a small puff of wind. those blades are moving very very fast, and have lead weights in the blade tips. I hope you have G4 or another good simulator to learn with. don't even bother to fly the real thing until you can fly in the simulator. if you crash in the simulator then you will crash with the real thing.
CATPart is offline Find More Posts by CATPart
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:50 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATPart
it would be pretty foolish to land a heli that close to yourself especially when you are trapped in a kayak unable to run away (maybe you have a really big kayak). don't underestimate the power of a blade strike from a small heli, or the motion induced by a small puff of wind. those blades are moving very very fast, and have lead weights in the blade tips. I hope you have G4 or another good simulator to learn with. don't even bother to fly the real thing until you can fly in the simulator. if you crash in the simulator then you will crash with the real thing.
Very aware of what rotor blades can do...

Plan to build a small landing platform and a "hangar face" between me and the helo...

Having a headwind helps, just as in real life. I'll probably wind up getting a small trolling motor to make way instead of paddling.

I'm used to flying off these. You get the concept...

If it can't be done on a kayak...I might have to do it off a cabincruiser instead.

Eitherway, I'm going to take small steps, methodically...Like I said, it will take a while.

Thanks for the criticism. Keep them coming.
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Dec 17, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:25 PM
Europe/Germany
Joined Apr 2008
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
The goal is to be gain enough skills to take-off, fly around and land from the back of a kayak.
Nice goal. It may take a while .. escpecially if the kayak moves and the landing platform (with person protection) is only as narrow as the kayak.

Maybe it's an option to try it first with a small Quadrocopter? The walkera Ufo or an X-3D-BL (or Mikrokopter) can't hurt you and maybe they are a little bit more easy to fly.
Ygramul is offline Find More Posts by Ygramul
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:13 PM
My other heli is a Vapor
Houston, TX
Joined Dec 2007
983 Posts
I was thinking that a coax might be helpful as a stepping stone, but I can't think of a model that is big enough to carry the FPV gear. I would also be concerned about tipovers, particularly caused by movement of the kayak even after the heli is down. Maybe you could build a frame with a net around the helipad to catch it if it goes over.
eander315 is offline Find More Posts by eander315
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:18 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygramul
Nice goal. It may take a while .. escpecially if the kayak moves and the landing platform (with person protection) is only as narrow as the kayak.

Maybe it's an option to try it first with a small Quadrocopter? The walkera Ufo or an X-3D-BL (or Mikrokopter) can't hurt you and maybe they are a little bit more easy to fly.
Maybe if I crash the Honey Bee King 2 beyond repair.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:19 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
It shouldnt be that hard if you have 2500 hrs of full scale, the feeling is quite similar. I`ve only been flying my trex 450 FPV a lot for a week but I could definately land it on a platform, especially now that I've taken the time to balance it and fix all the vibrations I had much smoother flights/ videos to come.

Pretty cool idea you have there, cant wait to see how it turns out.

Taking off wont be a problem just pull on the collective real quick and you`ll skyrocket up
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:21 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eander315
I would also be concerned about tipovers, particularly caused by movement of the kayak even after the heli is down. Maybe you could build a frame with a net around the helipad to catch it if it goes over.
Flown in wx like this...Not fun but do-able.

Had to deal with this problem in real life as well. The full scale solution is the "RAST" system...

My solution:
Hold the heli down with rubber bands over the skids before take off...and land on a bed of velcro...

BTW...I managed to learn and teach how to land on boats without ever having to test the bouyancy of a helicopter...It just takes tiime, good procedures, and patience.
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Sep 30, 2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:06 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,985 Posts
I would install powerfull magnet on your skids and electromagnet on the platform, so you just have to come close to the platform and the heli will land straight each time...

it's a joke if your not sure
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:11 PM
United Kingdom, England, Derby
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Helicopter Accident (2 min 11 sec)

was mentionned in ATTF
jbourdon is offline Find More Posts by jbourdon
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:52 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer
I would install powerfull magnet on your skids and electromagnet on the platform, so you just have to come close to the platform and the heli will land straight each time...

But there's something to this...
Old Oct 01, 2008, 10:02 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer

A joke? Why? It´s a great idea Denis

Actually I thought landing on a kayac is not a good idea until I read this

Maybe you wouldn´t need it to be electromagnetic. If you find the exact magnet strenght needed to keep the heli in the kayac, but that the heli still can take off with full throttle, that might be nice
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Old Oct 01, 2008, 10:04 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
Flown in wx like this...Not fun but do-able.

Old Oct 01, 2008, 10:08 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourdon

That was CLOSE, specially the tail rotor to the man in the left