HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:30 AM
United States, KY, Vine Grove
Joined Jun 2012
242 Posts
Yippee!
New pilot has hit the skies with a T-28 Trojan

New airplane pilot here is finally in the air, woot woot!!!

My entry into R/C flying started 6-months ago with a cheap Chinese-made micro-coaxial heli. No joke, for $19 on Amazon a JXD Drift King 340 is actually a fantastic toy-grade heli that is lots of fun flying in indoors in a small room. After a few weeks playing with that I began my internet research on "real" heli's. Between internet info and talking with few people, a Blade 120SR was the clear choice for me. Soon after this I got really lucky in finding a slightly used JR9503 TX at my LHS. Though I soon realized the learning curve for me in learning FP-flying was going to take a little time so I decided to go ahead and add airplanes to the mix (originally part of my big-picture plan anyway). Phoenix was my next purchase, and that was 3 months ago. Today my TX shows I have 32-hours of Phoenix sim-time.

After just a little time on Phoenix I began planning on an airplane as my birthday present to myself. My LHS main-guy highly recommended going with a T-28 Trojan so I did. Bought it mid-October for my early-November b-day, and didn't fly until my birthday. Here's the recap of the 4 sessions I've had so far:

Session 1 (2 weeks ago)
Flight 1 - My first attempt to fly the T-28 is a blur, ha. All day I had butterflies in my stomach about flying in the afternoon and my anxiety level was high. I was a nervous wreck when it came to trying to hold the gimbals. Here's what I remember - I couldn't take off exactly where I wanted to at the private-location I chose so I moved towards the front of a nearby parking lot and cornered myself into a bad spot for landing, gotta luv hindsight. As soon as I took off the first time my nervousness really got the best of me and I immediately flipped her back around and coasted her right into the wood-line and smooth-landed right into a tree...oops. DAMAGE REPORT: Engine Cowl but still air-worthy I thought.

Flight 2 - I took off ONCE again from the original bad take-off and landing spot, duh. I think I circled twice before I started worrying about my lack of planning for landing, all because of where I took off from. I did manage to do a little trimming but decided to land ASAP because now my hands wouldn't stop shaking. Landing #2 ended hard on the left-wing. DAMAGE REPORT: Left-aileron servo dead, left-wing slightly cracked but easily repaired with packing tape.

Session 2 (last Friday)
Flight 1 - Now I was nervous about doing this on my own the first time but I was 99.9% sure I really just needed to watch someone else fly my T-28. So I took my LHS on their offer to go with me to a nearby spot they use. The instructor took off, did a little trimming and landed after a few minutes. He handed me my TX, I took off, did the pattern for maybe 5 minutes, then had a decent landing in the grass. I told him after he landed that I already knew I was going to be fine even before I took off. I just really needed to see the thing fly by someone else's hands.

Session 3 (Sunday, yesterday)
Picked a much better spot and had five 7-minute good flights, 5 good landings.

Session 4 (Monday, today)
Picked another good spot and had four 7-minute good flights, 3 good landings but 1 very indecisive landing that ended ugly and just off my runway spot. DAMAGE REPORT: 2 spots need hot-glue.

I have read probably every post on RCG that has "T-28" in it so I'm well aware of the majority-opinion on first-planes definitely NOT being a T-28 and I get that, but I'm proof that a T-28 can be just fine as first-plane...and I ain't got no special skills. I think of the last 6 months as having been my ground-school, which includes my sim-time, and only now has my flight-school training started. And props for RCG members...lots of what I have learned on this site has definitely contributed to my current success in hitting the skies with fixed-wing flight.
vg33 is online now Find More Posts by vg33
Last edited by vg33; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:46 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,013 Posts
Well, it you were going to go low wing, the PZ T-28 Trojan was the one to get. The Trojan was actually my 4th plane after a HZ Champ, Super Cub and Firebird Stratos. Mine is still flying and I have only crashed her once with very minimal damage. She is the first warbird I put up in the air on any given session.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,078 Posts
several folks on the t-28 thread do support t-28 as a first plane.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
Noob
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Oct 2012
30 Posts
I hear you about the nerves. I think we all experience them. I am so new that I still do a little bit. I also hear ya on choosing a bad spot to start flying in. My first three flights were that way (you'd think I would've learned after the first one).

I am getting better and better with my Super Cub (first plane); no more crashes. When I feel 100% proficient, I will be looking at getting a 4-channel and T-28 is next on my list. I just wish HZ had continued selling the Air Force version when the Navy one came out. I am not a fan of this color scheme, but I guess noobs can't afford to be too picky.

Thanks much for your first hand report. Very good to hear and best of luck. Confidence is the most important tool in a new rc pilot's arsenal.
ManiZ is offline Find More Posts by ManiZ
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:52 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Glad you got your RC wings with a T28 Not many can say that. You did it right and was patient specially with your simulator time. That alone saved you a lot of grief. But you have some RC flying talent there, a natural. Seriously, I mean that.

Remarkable feat, IMO, to learn and have the T28 still flyable. Good job!
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:59 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vg33 View Post
New airplane pilot here is finally in the air, woot woot!!!

My entry into R/C flying started 6-months ago with a cheap Chinese-made micro-coaxial heli. No joke, for $19 on Amazon a JXD Drift King 340 is actually a fantastic toy-grade heli that is lots of fun flying in indoors in a small room. After a few weeks playing with that I began my internet research on "real" heli's. Between internet info and talking with few people, a Blade 120SR was the clear choice for me. Soon after this I got really lucky in finding a slightly used JR9503 TX at my LHS. Though I soon realized the learning curve for me in learning FP-flying was going to take a little time so I decided to go ahead and add airplanes to the mix (originally part of my big-picture plan anyway). Phoenix was my next purchase, and that was 3 months ago. Today my TX shows I have 32-hours of Phoenix sim-time.

After just a little time on Phoenix I began planning on an airplane as my birthday present to myself. My LHS main-guy highly recommended going with a T-28 Trojan so I did. Bought it mid-October for my early-November b-day, and didn't fly until my birthday. Here's the recap of the 4 sessions I've had so far:

Session 1 (2 weeks ago)
Flight 1 - My first attempt to fly the T-28 is a blur, ha. All day I had butterflies in my stomach about flying in the afternoon and my anxiety level was high. I was a nervous wreck when it came to trying to hold the gimbals. Here's what I remember - I couldn't take off exactly where I wanted to at the private-location I chose so I moved towards the front of a nearby parking lot and cornered myself into a bad spot for landing, gotta luv hindsight. As soon as I took off the first time my nervousness really got the best of me and I immediately flipped her back around and coasted her right into the wood-line and smooth-landed right into a tree...oops. DAMAGE REPORT: Engine Cowl but still air-worthy I thought.

Flight 2 - I took off ONCE again from the original bad take-off and landing spot, duh. I think I circled twice before I started worrying about my lack of planning for landing, all because of where I took off from. I did manage to do a little trimming but decided to land ASAP because now my hands wouldn't stop shaking. Landing #2 ended hard on the left-wing. DAMAGE REPORT: Left-aileron servo dead, left-wing slightly cracked but easily repaired with packing tape.

Session 2 (last Friday)
Flight 1 - Now I was nervous about doing this on my own the first time but I was 99.9% sure I really just needed to watch someone else fly my T-28. So I took my LHS on their offer to go with me to a nearby spot they use. The instructor took off, did a little trimming and landed after a few minutes. He handed me my TX, I took off, did the pattern for maybe 5 minutes, then had a decent landing in the grass. I told him after he landed that I already knew I was going to be fine even before I took off. I just really needed to see the thing fly by someone else's hands.

Session 3 (Sunday, yesterday)
Picked a much better spot and had five 7-minute good flights, 5 good landings.

Session 4 (Monday, today)
Picked another good spot and had four 7-minute good flights, 3 good landings but 1 very indecisive landing that ended ugly and just off my runway spot. DAMAGE REPORT: 2 spots need hot-glue.

I have read probably every post on RCG that has "T-28" in it so I'm well aware of the majority-opinion on first-planes definitely NOT being a T-28 and I get that, but I'm proof that a T-28 can be just fine as first-plane...and I ain't got no special skills. I think of the last 6 months as having been my ground-school, which includes my sim-time, and only now has my flight-school training started. And props for RCG members...lots of what I have learned on this site has definitely contributed to my current success in hitting the skies with fixed-wing flight.
While a warbird is not optimal as a trainer, the T-28 was designed to be a trainer anyway, hence it's tricycle stance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-28_Trojan

I think you made a sound choice, and it sounds like your LHS guy steered you in the right direction.

Welcome to the addiction.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:38 PM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,489 Posts
Great job, I started with the um t28. Now go get a 2nd job to pay for your new hobby.
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Welcome to the club. Just so you know. Be prepared to get addicted, it happens so easily believe me. Sorry to hear about your crashes, but it happens and its a part of flying, its a matter of when, not if. I'm glad to hear that you are now having success. Congrats and welcome

Josh
JBFlyer85 is offline Find More Posts by JBFlyer85
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:47 PM
Controlled Chaos
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
I love the Trojan, they are great flying planes!
Congrats on the first flights, and welcome to the addiction.
OKJeepin is offline Find More Posts by OKJeepin
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:53 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiZ View Post
I hear you about the nerves. I think we all experience them. I am so new that I still do a little bit. I also hear ya on choosing a bad spot to start flying in. My first three flights were that way (you'd think I would've learned after the first one).

I am getting better and better with my Super Cub (first plane); no more crashes. When I feel 100% proficient, I will be looking at getting a 4-channel and T-28 is next on my list. I just wish HZ had continued selling the Air Force version when the Navy one came out. I am not a fan of this color scheme, but I guess noobs can't afford to be too picky.

Thanks much for your first hand report. Very good to hear and best of luck. Confidence is the most important tool in a new rc pilot's arsenal.
Heck man i still shake on every maiden flight of a new plane !! And if i have been flying the gliders for awhile then take out say the 48" sbach or the edge 450 i really shake for the first few minutes Your doing great man keep at it !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:04 AM
Joined Jun 2012
242 Posts
Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated.

I'm maidening a Hobby King Super Miss 54" any day. Bought it few months ago from an elderly gentleman, he only builds now so my Miss ain't been in the air. I upgraded the RX and converted the batt-leads. Been saving her for after I had flown T-28 several times. Gonna be fun I'm sure, or I hope.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:28 AM
United States, NY, Center Moriches
Joined Feb 2012
157 Posts
The T-28 was my second plane. It is a solid stable plane to learn on with some help. Your LHS sounds like a helpful place. Last week I started flying my T-28 on a 4s 2200 mah lipo and its a beast with that battery in it. I worried maybe the esc couldn't handle it but its been fine. Good luck with this great hobby.
John S. is offline Find More Posts by John S.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,088 Posts
Good job vg33 the T -28 is one awesome plane, enjoy, I still fly mine more than any other that I own.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Jun 2012
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
The T-28 was my second plane. It is a solid stable plane to learn on with some help. Your LHS sounds like a helpful place. Last week I started flying my T-28 on a 4s 2200 mah lipo and its a beast with that battery in it. I worried maybe the esc couldn't handle it but its been fine. Good luck with this great hobby.
4S or 3S?

2200mAH 3S's is what was recommended to me so couple months ago I began buying one of those each time I visited LHS - now have a total of 5-2200's and the 1-1800 that came with T-28 but can easily see having 10-12 2200's cuz I have a HK Super Miss that can now use same battery as my T-28.

Was also recommended that I get a Hitec X1 charger and that thing charges my 2200's fast...without even using the Fast Charge setting.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
192 Posts
Thanks for your post. I'm looking to more up to a t-28 next.
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb