SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:08 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
LOL kp, i see you havent perfected the 'bob and weave' technique as i have (oh wait they named it after me ) and... i know way better than to 'well YOU spent XXX on _____' ... that only pours petrol on the fire LMAO
+1 on that Bob. I'm lucky in so far as The Wife is a crafter and whenever I've caught her looking longingly at stamps, punches, ribbon, card stock or whatever I've always said "if you need it sweetheart you go ahead and buy it." Now it's paying out cos she never questions what I'm spending on my helis. Frickin KARMA or what?? What goes around...?

Having said that, so far there is still food in the fridge. Let's see what the reaction is when that runs out...
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:12 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,840 Posts
Quote:
LMFAO... mine gives me 'that look' when i pick up the v911 controller... (i put several not so tidy marks on HER 32" flat screen tv) cannae help it laddy, the v911 seen some rather striking scenery on the telly and just wanted to experience it
LMFAO too . Have you tried a micro-fibre cloth? Worked wonders on mine .

*sitting at the computer due to hurricane-force winds in Germany*
Fin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
i see aliexpress is '3 weeks to ship'... must be chineese new year
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
of course a car battery charger will work... be advised it isnt well-filtered direct current, and the '12 volts' is more like 15-20 volts, perhaps more. and a nice touch is the amp meter to see its actually charging (if ever you need 3 cell charging capabilitys, the extra voltage will be handy)
cheers Fin
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:53 AM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
Woah woah woah wait a minute! So you guys are saying it is possible to use a car battery charger as a power supply for a LiPo charger/balancer? That would be the easiest power supply solution for me.
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:56 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,840 Posts
Quote:
of course a car battery charger will work... be advised it isnt well-filtered direct current, and the '12 volts' is more like 15-20 volts, perhaps more. and a nice touch is the amp meter to see its actually charging (if ever you need 3 cell charging capabilitys, the extra voltage will be handy)
cheers Fin
Could this cause damage to my lipo charger? (the battery charger has incorrect polarity and thermal overload safety)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:05 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
I see triggertoo posted answer but here is mine.
Thanks - One other thing, will I have to re-level the swashplate or anything after bending the bone?
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:22 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Thanks - One other thing, will I have to re-level the swashplate or anything after bending the bone?
You might need to make a minor adjustment. If you bend them equal you should be fine.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Could this cause damage to my lipo charger? (the battery charger has incorrect polarity and thermal overload safety)
personally i'd add some filtering (a filter capacitor) because the output voltage is 'pulsating dc' and i'm guessing here, them li-po chargers are crammed full of digital/intergrated circuits. a 25,000 microfarad 35 volt 'cap' would work nicely (less microfarads work, stay with 2-3x the base voltage though). be sure to observe polarity on the cap... i seen em empty a newspaper newsroom LOL (i didnt do the deed, i was standing there when tissuepaper and tinfoil rained down after the BOOM). and got the task of building a 10 hp variable speed printing press controller... from nothing... in kodiak alaska... with a 24 hour deadline)
cheers
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:39 PM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
Woah woah woah wait a minute! So you guys are saying it is possible to use a car battery charger as a power supply for a LiPo charger/balancer? That would be the easiest power supply solution for me.
I think it can be dangerous.
If it just a basic charger (a transformer and a rectifier) they are chances the output voltage at low or no output current jumps well over 15 volts like Bob said, and that could be BAD for your Lipo charger.
A basic charger also does not have a capacitor after the rectifier, so the voltage goes to 0 volts 100 times per second (here in Europe, 120 times in the states).

Some more intelligent car battery chargers monitor the voltage of the battery they are supposed to be connected to, so if you connect them to other things than a battery they may not even start, or have weird behaviour.

I would not try it...

Some gadgets you have at home (Led lamps, internet box, electronic devices, wireless phone) may have an external switched power supply that plugs directly in your wall outlets (don't be sure it's the right word ?) and have a connector at the output, with a little luck you will find one wich outputs 12 V at enough current and connects to your Lipo charger

Roland
Rollmops67 is online now Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:40 PM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
Guys, I need your help. Is there any option how to test if the stock F45 battery charger is working correctly? I really dont want to destroy more batteries...
I have, may be 10 small balance lead chargers of the F45 type, and it is the most reliable. I mostly use my Accucell 6 for my 2200 mah and I am very happy of its performance.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:24 PM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
Rollmops67 oh, so it could be dangerous... better not risk. About those 12V wall power supplies, I found a lot of them and the most powerfull has only 1A :/ ElectricAussie told me that for a 30W LiPo charger I will need +/- 2,5-3A power supply...

Anyway, I dont really understand these LiPos - a 2S LiPo has 7,4V what is 3,7V per cell. But on many places I have read something about 8,4V and 4,2V per cell. Also the stock charger has 8,4V output. Can someone explain me that?
Maybe my battery and charger is all right and only I'm dumb Right now I have 7,88V, 3,66V cell#1, 4,22V cell#2
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:26 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
528 Posts
I broke my F45.

I was doing "figure 8s" in the yard today. I did a beautiful banked turn (not claiming on purpose), and the wind gusted from out of nowhere. I cut the throttle to 30%, and the F45 started drifting back down... right into a small tree. Two flips and straight down on the tail rotor! Broke the whole gearbox off and bent the motor shaft...

Time to order a few parts... Dammit.
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:14 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
I broke my F45.

I was doing "figure 8s" in the yard today. I did a beautiful banked turn (not claiming on purpose), and the wind gusted from out of nowhere. I cut the throttle to 30%, and the F45 started drifting back down... right into a small tree. Two flips and straight down on the tail rotor! Broke the whole gearbox off and bent the motor shaft...

Time to order a few parts... Dammit.
Ha, I did that too....well I didnt break it off, but mine fell out of the heli eater tree and landed on the tail. Broke 2 of the spines on the tail gear... super glued it and flew it till the new tail and boom assy came... noisey bugger, but flew just fine
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:20 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
528 Posts
Quote:
Ha, I did that too....well I didnt break it off, but mine fell out of the heli eater tree and landed on the tail. Broke 2 of the spines on the tail gear... super glued it and flew it till the new tail and boom assy came... noisey bugger, but flew just fine
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully the motor shaft will bend back somewhat straight... LOL
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc