HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:24 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,178 Posts
I agree with BarnOwl

I got PNP/PNF (Didn't know there was another choice, at least in AUS warehouse) - which includes Motor/ESC/AIL/RUD/RUD servo.

I replaced all the servos (as HXT900's from HK are so cheap have at least 30 new on hand), one stock servo came pre-gears strips and another DOA and I made the flaps functional, using metal gear Turnigy TGY90S's love them too.
All the control clevis need to be replaced or pinned with paper clips.

I don't trust the ESC so I put a BEC in it.
As for the motor, again I have a stack of spares from HK that I can put in if (when) the stock one quits, but I'm trying to stick to 2S (2450mAh) battery to extend it's life (crashes aside) and it's been fine so far. Still tempted to do a 3S flight though!!

I must do the upgrade to a proper prop/alloy spinner upgrade, but I've got bunch $1.99 prop/spinner's to play with first.

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:36 PM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Just get the PNP and at the same time get the following items from HK:
  1. XT900 x 5
  2. 40 a ESC with build-in 4a BEC
  3. 2836-1000kv motor
  4. 1300 mAh lipo packs
  5. Get a proper spinner
Ok, now you´ve got that, strenghten the firewall as described in this thread and get a proper set of blades from Aeronaut and you´re all set to have a very pleasant flying experience!
Thanks... I will go with the shopping list! What about the clevis what would be a good replacement?
choopi is offline Find More Posts by choopi
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:54 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Thanks for the answering skyhawk. ..Does your plane climb vertically?

It can climb vertically..
See post 865 for a Vid,,,
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Last edited by skyhawk newbie; Oct 11, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:28 PM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choopi View Post
Thanks... I will go with the shopping list! What about the clevis what would be a good replacement?
Some seem to have a problem with them, I think you must be lucky. I never had any problems with them, just secure them by using shrink tube or some other tubing material.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
It can climb vertically..
See post 865 for a Vid,,,
What's the auw on your bird?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:17 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
Quote:
What's the auw on your bird?
No idea....

Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:33 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Some seem to have a problem with them, I think you must be lucky. I never had any problems with them, just secure them by using heat shrink tube or some other tubing material.
Did the same meself... Only have clevices on the Rudder and Elevator..

Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:40 PM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Some seem to have a problem with them, I think you must be lucky. I never had any problems with them, just secure them by using shrink tube or some other tubing material.
Is the ARF come with the prop?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:00 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choopi View Post

Is the ARF come with the prop?
Mine did 10x6 ,
but if you up-grade the motor (Turnigy2836 Brushless Outrunner 1000kv )
You cann't use the 10x6 prop...

2836 runs best with a 9x6 to keep it under 300watts...

Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:12 PM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,270 Posts
Ordered done JIT 3-5 days.

I will use that motor, as I have one sitting:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=2106
Last edited by choopi; Oct 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:33 PM
Mexico, MEX, Naucalpan
Joined May 2009
29 Posts
B!LL,

I think I understood the way you have your battery and I have it the same way, but in my case the battery is hold only by 1 square inch of velcro, because the battery is really to the back, and I wish it was at least twice that.

I saw the picture and somehow my crash was harder on the fuselage and the motor survived almost intact, the battery tray was completely pulled out of the frame including the screws, and the fuselage bent was harder, even the join of the two half's of the fuselage was broken, right under the canopy close to the nose.
fbm224 is offline Find More Posts by fbm224
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:51 PM
Joined Oct 2011
58 Posts
hi

i m planning to buy this and the motor i m interested in is NTM Prop Drive Series 35-36A 1800Kv / 875w

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Kv%5F875w.html

will it work with the glider and is there any restriction on using high powered motor with stock propellor

i m new to this so looking for some expert advice
shkimran is offline Find More Posts by shkimran
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:25 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shkimran View Post
hi

i m planning to buy this and the motor i m interested in is NTM Prop Drive Series 35-36A 1800Kv / 875w

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Kv%5F875w.html

will it work with the glider and is there any restriction on using high powered motor with stock propellor

i m new to this so looking for some expert advice
I'm certainly not an expert but I've got the smaller 35-30 1100kv 88g NTM motor in my Phoenix, and it works very well. It is comparable in weight with the popular 2836-1000 upgrade, but arguably higher quality.

I'd advise you against the even bigger NTM 35-36A 1800kv that you linked to. While it would "work" given the right ESC and battery positioning (to achieve CoG with that heavy 120g motor up at the front), you'd be talking about ~800W or so and current draws of over 70A at full throttle.

It would fry the stock ESC quite easily, and the speed would quite possibly snap the wings during tighter turns. If you stuck to very low throttle settings then you might get away with it, but then what's the point? Why not use a lighter motor and enjoy better gliding capabilities?

One advantage that I think all these NTM motors (except for the small 28mm jobbie) have over the stock Phoenix motor and the 2836-1000 is their greater diameter. That helps the body of the motor to effectively reinforce the firewall and dampen vibrations.

The 2836-1000 has 19x16mm mounting centres. The NTM motors we're discussing are 25x19mm. That also means you'd need to do a bit of redrilling at the front, but it's not a big deal if you enjoy power tool usage
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:05 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
He probably knows he has to use an appropriate esc and battery for that motor...I'm also very interested in that motor because of it's power if I go fpv, that I'll still have enough kick ...So the wing strengthening is the only issue...Would an additional aluminium or cabon fibre rod be enough to maintain that additional power ...Probably aluminium is preffered, because it doesn't snap, just bends..There's at test on youtube about this motor, he can look there for reference on amp draw with the props and lipo's used...Also he'd have to use strong servos..
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; Oct 12, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:05 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,724 Posts
Quote:
He probably knows he has to use an appropriate esc and battery for that motor...
Thanks for that.

Quote:
I'm also very interested in that motor because of it's power if I go fpv, that I'll still have enough kick
Being a relatively beefy motor, at 1800kv it may have the strength to push the stock prop to considerably in excess of 10,000rpm, which would possibly be very, very dangerous to anybody whose face or other exposed bits should happen to be close by.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4