HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:09 PM
United States, VA, Quantico
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
Well I finally fixed my elevator that had broken off and went for another flight with my brushed RTF. I flew in the middle of a large football/soccer field, but sadly my piloting skills made my SS seem drawn to every large metal stadium light pole. Out of 2 flights that lasted longer than 10 seconds, both ended in a collision near the top of the light pole and a 30 ft drop to the ground. Pretty resilient foam, but one of the wings got a crack from the middle of the wing diagonal back towards to the corner of the aileron. I CA'd and taped that crack together, but the leading edge of the wing has a 5" crush dent mark. Is there any way to get the dent out of the leading edge?
AmishLou is offline Find More Posts by AmishLou
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:13 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishLou View Post
Well I finally fixed my elevator that had broken off and went for another flight with my brushed RTF. I flew in the middle of a large football/soccer field, but sadly my piloting skills made my SS seem drawn to every large metal stadium light pole. Out of 2 flights that lasted longer than 10 seconds, both ended in a collision near the top of the light pole and a 30 ft drop to the ground. Pretty resilient foam, but one of the wings got a crack from the middle of the wing diagonal back towards to the corner of the aileron. I CA'd and taped that crack together, but the leading edge of the wing has a 5" crush dent mark. Is there any way to get the dent out of the leading edge?
Soak it in hot water.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:13 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Oh. Heck. Set the value from 1-15 (binary) and the ESC will play a variety of songs. If you haven't done it, please do so. I promise you it is very cute and enjoyable to play the various songs. If you get bored, you can always set the ESC back to 0 (all lights on) and go back to a song-silent ESC. Enjoy...
AJ
Oh man, I don't think I can on my turnigy escs. I have a couple of cheap ones coming in the mail from grayson with the microjets I bought, I'll see if they have configurable boot up tones.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Soak it in hot water.
I've had some success using urethane glue as a sort of foam bondo. I had a minor dent in my nose that I fixed with gorilla glue, sandpaper and packing tape. Looks like new since I always cover the nose with tape anyway.

I've read that other people have used lightweight spackle or something which I'm going to try on my depron scratch builds on score/fold seams.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:40 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Sticky situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Soak it in hot water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
I've had some success using urethane glue as a sort of foam bondo. I had a minor dent in my nose that I fixed with gorilla glue, sandpaper and packing tape. Looks like new since I always cover the nose with tape anyway.

I've read that other people have used lightweight spackle or something which I'm going to try on my depron scratch builds on score/fold seams.
IMO, both of the above suggestions are excellent. I would just add that you make sure the water is not over 200 degrees because it will "mangle" the surface of the foam (think basketball/alligator looking) But, if you do get that, use the convex side of a spoon to "iron" out the flaws.
I think what Dkumagai is referring to is "Microballons" filler. I have used it several times and it is like magic to fix those really deep dents without adding hardly any weight. Try it, you will love it. Oh, here is a link:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHZ15&P=7
You can probably find it somewhere else cheaper. I bought a gallon of it a year ago. I have used very little of it. So, I do not recommend buying that much. A little bit goes a long way.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post

Amishlou.

If the dent was smaller the foam has a memory and a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun will help it expand back to normal. You just have to watch that you don't apply a lot of high heat or the surface will start to "popcorn".

The size of that dent requires the steps that NorCalMatCat, Dkumagai and AJ gave you. Really warm water, filler then shape it and tape it.

I actually had not heard of the Microballons that AJ mentions and will get myself some. I can always use something to patch and shape my foamy.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:59 PM
wottree
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Nov 2011
302 Posts
Ok guys, Please don't tell me I am the first...

Weather, calm, sunny, crystal clear with a 4 mph breeze. Field empty. 4 x fully charged 2200. Sweeeeeet

Perfect launch ... Something not right!?...the wings

Yes...I forgot the wing spar left it at home 14 miles away

considered using a piece of tree branch

Head held in shame
ands is offline Find More Posts by ands
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:24 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
Ok guys, Please don't tell me I am the first...

Weather, calm, sunny, crystal clear with a 4 mph breeze. Field empty. 4 x fully charged 2200. Sweeeeeet

Perfect launch ... Something not right!?...the wings

Yes...I forgot the wing spar left it at home 14 miles away

considered using a piece of tree branch

Head held in shame
Boy that's a first.
Actually it's not. Saw a guy do it with a EZ*. Kinda neat the way the plane looked like it was flapping like a bird in flight. Brought a tear to my eye.....after I crashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishLou View Post
Next time try to hit the poles. You'll miss them every time.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, TN, Oakland
Joined Sep 2008
29 Posts
My new camera mount for my Kodak Playfull camera. We'll see how it goes this weekend. I used the mount from plans found on ilovefvp.com and added styrofoam with a nylon screw on the bottom of the mount to attach the camera
dmoshiloh is offline Find More Posts by dmoshiloh
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
In this case, I did contribute both of them. But, only because I did not know the first designer of my second contribution. I am sure you noticed that I always proudly give credit to whoever was the original designer. In several cases, I had to do a great deal of research to find out who did the mods so I could give proper credit.
AJ
Both of them. there are four of them,[some others i can't remember}
1.small 3m hooks, 3mm cf tube {four pieces} and elastic.+balsa inserts.
2.magnet method.
3.velcro.
4. gluing, or some sort of silicone that is easily to remove.

Should'nt there be more options on page 1.
Oops i forgot one. The nylon/light metal cubbord latches, iguess that's 5 isn't it.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Mar 29, 2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: FORGOT SOMETHING had to edit 3 times.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
United States, VA, Quantico
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Amishlou.

If the dent was smaller the foam has a memory and a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun will help it expand back to normal. You just have to watch that you don't apply a lot of high heat or the surface will start to "popcorn".

The size of that dent requires the steps that NorCalMatCat, Dkumagai and AJ gave you. Really warm water, filler then shape it and tape it.

I actually had not heard of the Microballons that AJ mentions and will get myself some. I can always use something to patch and shape my foamy.
Thanks for the help everyone. Next time I will aim for the poles like 2500GENE replied and then I'll miss them.

Ryan
AmishLou is offline Find More Posts by AmishLou
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,740 Posts
Quote:
First, well done on both those motors. I, too, have used both. Here is bench measurements in a static configuration with a 2300mah LiPo.
CF2812-1535 with APC 8x4E:
24.05Ap
11.29Vm
276.0Wp
2212-6 with SF7x4:
35.32Ap
10.11Vm
356.3Wp
So, you might want to try a bit bigger prop on both motors just to experience more pi-zazz. The only caution is the second one is ~5A over the maximum rating for the motor. So, I suggest you do not use WOT for very long and a LiPo of at least 2200-30C to keep the Lipo safe. Make sure and take some videos to share. Oh, if you want to go insanely fast with your Sky Surfer, get a MicroDan 2505-2835 motor (pricey-but worth every penny) with a 6x4 and it will really get up and go vertical until you cannot see it anymore. Here are the stats for that in my SkyS:
42.87Ap
10.41Vm
449.7Wp
Prof100 suggested it and I have to say it was a rush to fly with in a SkyS. But, in the end, it was just too much horsepower for my needs and desires. I have a video around somewhere. Hmmmm....
AJ
I actually propped down from a 7x4 to a 7x3 with the RC timer CF2812-1535. IIRC I was pulling about 15A with the 7x4 and haven't measured the 7x3 but I would guess somewhere around 12-13A. Even with the 7x3 it'll still climb nicely at a 45 degree angle. The 7x4 would just about go vertical on a fresh battery. It was more than I needed or wanted. I had hoped to use a 1300-1800 mAh battery to keep the weight down but even with a 2200 it just balances without additional weight. I've thought about stretching the nose a couple inches so I could use a lighter battery.

My Bix must have a warp somewhere. In a power off vertical dive it requires more and more left aileron as the speed builds up so something isn't quite right. It's fine for what I use it for (AP) and it glides better than I thought it would. I've got other planes for sport and aerobatic flying.

A SF7x4 on a 2212-6!!! Remind me to never buy a used motor from you!
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:15 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Both of them. there are four of them,[some others i can't remember}
1.small 3m hooks, 3mm cf tube {four pieces} and elastic.+balsa inserts.
2.magnet method.
3.velcro.
4. gluing, or some sort of silicone that is easily to remove.

Should'nt there be more options on page 1.
Oops i forgot one. The nylon/light metal cubbord latches, iguess that's 5 isn't it.
I see the options on wing holding in Post #3 - Steps 5 & 6. Are there more attachment methods listed that I don't see? the 3M hooks are sort of like the method in #5. But, I will list the magnet method in the future. I did not post the gluing method because that method is in the assembly instructions that come with the kit. Besides, gluing the wings in is so obvious that I decided it was not needed. Thanks for keeping me up on page #1. I do try to keep the accuracy and content up to date as required.
AJ
P.S. I will have to do the research to find out who came up with the magnet method first. Oh, spar reinforcement is covered in post #3, Steps 22, 23, 24, and 25.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Is it possible to use my Dx5 spektrum on my sky surfer?

Best,
Alvin
zaai is offline Find More Posts by zaai
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Boy that's a first.
Actually it's not. Saw a guy do it with a EZ*. Kinda neat the way the plane looked like it was flapping like a bird in flight. Brought a tear to my eye.....after I crashed.

Next time try to hit the poles. You'll miss them every time.
Planes, light poles... that reminds me of a YouTube video.

SlowMoWatt Crash 09-29-10.mov (4 min 23 sec)

Why, I even think the pilot is our very own Ajbaker .