HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2001, 07:34 AM
RFD
Park Ridge, NJ
Joined Jun 2001
32 Posts
Charge me.

I'm looking for a Great charger that can do it all - for any transmitter batts, for glider 4 cell flight packs, for 6 to 8 cell electric flight packs; 110mah through 700mah flight nicads and nimh stuff. Something A/C that'll peak charge, auto trickle charge, and even cycle (????). I want good stuff and will pay the price. What's out there?
RFD is offline Find More Posts by RFD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2001, 02:25 PM
Newport News, VA USA
Joined May 2001
155 Posts
Dymond Super Smart Charger.
made by Simprop, also sold by FMA (not sure what they call it)
Dymond's site http://www.rc-dymond.com/

go to Batteries and Chargers, Chargers.
Sotos is offline Find More Posts by Sotos
Old Jun 06, 2001, 02:27 PM
Newport News, VA USA
Joined May 2001
155 Posts
Sorry, didn't notice that you said AC, but at this price, you can afford a Marine Deep cycle batery and an AC charger for that.
Old Jun 06, 2001, 02:51 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
Or if you like, you could call it an RCLINE Supernova. So many names for one charger!

I'd second Sotos' choice. A great piece of equipment, and relatively cheap too.

Ben C
Ben C is offline Find More Posts by Ben C
Old Jun 06, 2001, 03:39 PM
Joined Mar 2001
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben C:
..I'd second Sotos' choice..
I'll third it
qadsan is offline Find More Posts by qadsan
Old Jun 06, 2001, 06:55 PM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
Astro 110d or 112d will do it all. A dc power supply will be needed for ac charging. Astro sells them too.
My 112d will charge 1 to 36 cells nicad and nimh with a built in whatt meter(for chaging only)
-fish
Here's a link http://www.astroflight.com/chargers.html

[This message has been edited by fisher (edited 06-06-2001).]
fisher is offline Find More Posts by fisher
Old Jun 06, 2001, 06:59 PM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
Here's a link to what looks like all you ashed for. http://www.aveox.com/hobby.htm
I don't know anything about it personnally.
-fish
fisher is offline Find More Posts by fisher
Old Jun 06, 2001, 07:08 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,495 Posts
I use Litco Alpha4, it can charge 4 packs at the same time, AC/DC, but charge only at 1amp. So I use it for smaller packs. Also the waiting list is rediculous.
Dymond Super Smart charger is my primary power pack charger. Excellent charger for the price.

But you said you want good stuff and will pay the price. If money is no object, Schultz is probably the best you can get. The higher end models are in $700 range though. www.rc-direct.com
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jun 06, 2001, 07:43 PM
Winchester; Ohio
Joined Feb 2001
876 Posts
The bad thing about having 1 do it all charger is the problems you run into when you want to charge more than 1 pack at a time. I have the Dymond Super Smart, Ace Digipace III, The ace Multiple output charger that can go down to 10ma, and the Ace auto add a trickle on the wall charger that came with the Radio.
If you are slow charging a flight pack for one plane and are needing a fast charge on a motor pack then what?
I would definitly recommend the Dymond charger or one similar to it. It is very flexable; but will only go down to 100ma so you cannot put a good slow charge on anything less than a 1000ma battery. You will need something different for that type of charging.
Adam
Adam Neat is offline Find More Posts by Adam Neat
Old Jun 06, 2001, 07:47 PM
Joined Apr 2001
120 Posts
I picked up a DC power supply that matched the Astro Flight at radio shack for $59.00. I use it with the Astroflight 112D. I think you'd like this combo.

BEst regards,
Martin

Quote:
Originally posted by fisher:
Astro 110d or 112d will do it all. A dc power supply will be needed for ac charging. Astro sells them too.
My 112d will charge 1 to 36 cells nicad and nimh with a built in whatt meter(for chaging only)
-fish
Here's a link http://www.astroflight.com/chargers.html

[This message has been edited by fisher (edited 06-06-2001).]
martin johnson is offline Find More Posts by martin johnson
Old Jun 07, 2001, 05:04 AM
RFD
Park Ridge, NJ
Joined Jun 2001
32 Posts
Thanx for all your good input.

The Dymond Super Smart ($109) and the FMA Supernova ($128) appear to be exactly the same, but the Dymond is $19 less. This looks like a really neat do-it-all charger - is there a wall wart AC/DC power supply for this puppy? Or, as Sotos suggested, would I hafta get a big wetcell on the side (with its own charger)? I'm gonna call Dymond up on this.

Besides their 110D ($115) and 112D ($150) chargers (which are both DC and require that separate wall wart for $75 - Martin, what's the model number of the RS AC/DC adapter you found for $59?), Astro has a 115D model that's both AC/DC - but no online price listed.

So, right now it's between the Dymond and one of those Astros ...
Old Jun 07, 2001, 05:06 AM
Mesa, AZ USA
Joined Mar 2001
86 Posts
I've got the Dymond Smart charger for doing my motor packs and a Sirius charger ( www.siriuselectronics.com )for my radio gear. Both work great. The sirius charger is probably the best investment I've ever made in my 20 yrs in this hobby. I also have a Sirius Super Test and I think it's a little more accurate in telling me the capacity of my packs. The only drawback to the Super Test is that it has fixed load currents of 125, 250 and 500 Mah. Tho that is more than adequate for cycling TX and RX batts.
The Dymond charger is probably more flexible but it's less tolerant of input voltage. At least from my experience. However it will only charge one pack at a time. With the Sirius Charger you can charge your TX and RX packs at the same time, or two RX packs up to 2000 Mah.
Using my Sirius Pro Charger and the Super Test together I was able to recondition a 10 year old TX pack in my Futaba super 7. I'll never regret buying these two pieces of equipment. In fact my friends are always asking me to cycle their stuff for them.

I use a 10 amp regulated power supply at home to power all of my DC goodies. Think it was under $50 from radio shack. I wouldn't waste my money on the small wall unit power supplies. You're better off spending some extra money and buying something decent. Hey, it's only money. <G>

Tom
Aero-BearAZ is offline Find More Posts by Aero-BearAZ
Old Jun 07, 2001, 07:18 AM
Newport News, VA USA
Joined May 2001
155 Posts
RFD...

One thing to consider when choosing between the Astro and the Dymond is that the Dymond has an automatic feature whereby it will discharge the pack, wait for two minutes, then peak charge it. The astro doeasn't discharge (I own a 112D as well). Another feature I like about the Dymond/FMA/Simprop is in auto mode, during discharge as well as charge, it ramps up the charge/discharge rate at the beginning of the cycle, and then ramps it back down at the end. The Astro is much simpler to use, but it doesn't do as much. HTH, my $.02.

Old Jun 07, 2001, 10:58 AM
RFD
Park Ridge, NJ
Joined Jun 2001
32 Posts
And the winnah is ...

Sirius Charge Pro Series ($130) plus a Sirius Charge AC adaptor ($23)

This unit will charge from 125 to 1000 mah, TX and RX at the same time, and is AC/DC ready.

Check it out - http://www.siriuselectronics.com/pro_ser.htm

Thanx again for all yer help, folks.

Old Jun 07, 2001, 11:07 AM
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2000
982 Posts
RFD:

Are you sure you'll never want to charge more than 8 cells? This is a major limitation of the Sirius charger in my opinion (otherwise it looks great). Many flight packs exceed 8 cells so this is something to consider.

Greg

[This message has been edited by greg morrison (edited 06-07-2001).]
greg morrison is offline Find More Posts by greg morrison