HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2014, 03:51 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,076 Posts
indeed NC, the incident with my smaller plane was a good wake up call so i'll constantly have that in the back of my mind on the next run with the Siren, attached a picture of the covering job i did after fixing the dent., (don't mind the washing i chucked on the bed) and yes it is actually lever arch label stickers, so basically a paper sticker with clear tape i added over that afterwards to seal the paper from water should a drop or two fall on it, not ideal covering but it worked,
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:11 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,840 Posts
Flew mine in 15 - 20 mph winds a few days ago. Man, is that fun. Especially when the rest of the flyers are siting on the sidelines complaining about the wind. A few months ago, I flew it in even stronger winds and had a blast.
Don't let the wind turn you off when it comes to this plane.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:11 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
...Don't let the wind turn you off when it comes to this plane.
For sure

There's a vid somewhere of someone slope-soaring one of these things.

Plus the wind is your friend for take-offs and landings.

A good headwind helps to slow it down a bit and cruise-on in on landings - provided, of course, you can land into it. I wouldn't want to try to put it down if there's a raging cross wind with those big wings it has...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Sep 12, 2014, 04:55 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,737 Posts
Found it

It was KiwiKid who put the vid up of a Siren slope soaring...

GP Siren parkflying and ridge soaring (3 min 54 sec)

BJ
Old Sep 14, 2014, 01:54 AM
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
251 Posts
Hi everyone. Would appreciate some feedback. Recently I became interested in the Kunai. Now I see that it has an even bigger sibling, the Siren. What are the pros and cons of both? Which one would probably be better for an intermediate pilot new to warmliner/hotliners and why?
daniirwan is offline Find More Posts by daniirwan
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:21 AM
flying at SCMAC
Australia, SA, Hindmarsh Island
Joined Apr 2013
561 Posts
slope flew the siren today in 20+ knts off the bluff here at south australia, added ballast and it flew well, working on video now and will post later
ask21flyer is online now Find More Posts by ask21flyer
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:31 AM
flying at SCMAC
Joined Apr 2013
561 Posts
slopeing my siren today

My Siren hotliner sloping at the bluff today (2 min 37 sec)
Last edited by ask21flyer; Sep 15, 2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:33 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
Nice pic
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:55 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,840 Posts
What about the landing ASK21?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Sep 15, 2014, 07:15 AM
flying at SCMAC
Joined Apr 2013
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
What about the landing ASK21?
battery went flat before i landed, slope season is just starting so ill get more footage
Last edited by ask21flyer; Sep 15, 2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:00 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask21flyer View Post
slopeing my siren today

http://youtu.be/KrENCJhA9m4
Jeez - what was the big bird in hot pursuit there? Sea Eagle?

Was the flight moto-off, or did you give it a tickle every now and then - she was certainly shunting along there

You mentioned adding ballast - did you just make it heavier around the CG, or load the nose up a bit?

BJ
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:01 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniirwan View Post
Hi everyone. Would appreciate some feedback. Recently I became interested in the Kunai. Now I see that it has an even bigger sibling, the Siren. What are the pros and cons of both? Which one would probably be better for an intermediate pilot new to warmliner/hotliners and why?
Mmm, the Siren is more like a cousin to the Kunai than a bigger sibling - the Siren is definitely NOT a bigger version of the Kunai.

The Siren is more toward the "fast glider" end of the spectrum or "warmliner" good for full-throttle speed passes down the runway or fast vertical climb to altitude and some thermaling if there is lift (though the Siren is not solely designed for thermaling like a Calypso or Radian).

The Kunai is much the same thing, but lighter weight, more nimble and a stronger wing also capable of whatever aerobatics you can throw at it.

Either is great for an intermediate pilot, but the Kunai will be quite a bit easier to get setup and airborne as it comes with the motor installed and all that. The Siren requires motor installation, radio installation, and you have to do a little research and ponder which motor/battery/prop for the Siren. With the Kunai, the decision is made for you.

Here's a link to my blog on the Siren. I still have it today and love flying it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686872

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:17 PM
flying at SCMAC
Joined Apr 2013
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Jeez - what was the big bird in hot pursuit there? Sea Eagle?

Was the flight moto-off, or did you give it a tickle every now and then - she was certainly shunting along there

You mentioned adding ballast - did you just make it heavier around the CG, or load the nose up a bit?

BJ
flight was with motor off, i dont know what type of bird was having a close look at it for a bit there and i added weight fairly much around the c of g point , ill put her on the scales to see the all up weight
Old Sep 19, 2014, 02:47 AM
flying at SCMAC
Joined Apr 2013
561 Posts
the siren all up weight when i was slope flying it - 1280 grams and c of g at 70mm
Old Sep 19, 2014, 04:56 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,889 Posts
I'd back ordered a Kunai but thinking now I'll go the Siren instead. I have a nice composite 2.2 glider for thermaling but was really chasing something good for windy days and hot dogging around like I use to do with my much missed Blizzard
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63