HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 12:09 AM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
868 Posts
Build Log
How About a Second Zipp Tugster Build???

So, my plans all along were to have at least two of these Springer Tugs. I ordered the second kit the other day, and I got started on the build tonight. To be honest, I will probably end up making at least four of these...one for me, one for my wife, and one for each of my parents to give as Christmas gifts...they are looking for a house on a lake, so something like this would be great for them to mess around with on their dock.

Anyways, I'm to the final stages of the first kit, so I figured I'd get started on the second one. My goal was to have both of them finished so that I could prepare and lay paint only once, instead of having to worry about painting twice. So, the last coat of sealer was put on the first Tugster tonight...tomorrow will be the last bit of sanding, and the boat will be ready for paint. That means now is the time to get started on the second one.

On this build, I'll be using the things I learned on the first build to hopefully get this one together better, faster, and more easily.

Some of the things I learned on the first build:
1. Make sure everything is square. Check it several times. If it's not, the whole thing can be slightly off.

2. Sealer needs to be put on in very thin coats. Thick coats cause runs and pooling that ends up being more trouble than it's worth.

3. Gorilla CA is infinitely better than the Krazy CA I was using, so the Gorilla will be my go to CA for the build, when I'm not using slow curing epoxy.

4. Get some extra tools to facilitate the build.

The first thing I did was get some slow curing epoxy. I got some from a gentleman on RCGroups named Andre for free. He wanted me to have it so that I could do some of the parts of the build better. He sent it Priority Mail and I got it the other day...a brand new set of two part slow curing hobby epoxy. Very cool.

The second thing I did was follow Andre's instructions on what I should do for actually building the hull. The Zipp Instructions have you put the front and rear of the hull onto one side, then let it dry, before then having it glued to the other side of the hull. Andre suggested that I use a "strap clamp" to just put all four pieces together, so I ordered one from Amazon.

On my first hull, I ended up with this a bit "off" I think. It ended up making the hull seem like it was twisted, VERY SLIGHTLY. Not enough to even really measure to figure where it needed to be fixed, but enough that you could tell it was slightly off. The strap clamp should help alleviate that as an issue.

Oh, the other thing I've done is made sure that I will fill this thread with pictures by making sure the opening section has pictures. On the first build, I realized my camera didn't have an SD card in it after taking a whole slew of photos...not so much, this time!!!!

So, the first thing I did was put the double sides together. When I was doing this, I realized that the wood was VERY SLIGHTLY cut at different sizes, like a total of .5mm. If I lined up the bottom, then the top was off. If I lined up the top, then the bottom was off. What I did was line up the sides as best I could, then glued the two pieces together.

After getting them together and letting the CA set, I then sanded the top and bottom to make sure that the pieces were even. Then, to go a step more, I actually put the two hull pieces together and sanded them again to make sure that they were even with each other. The end result was two sides that were identical to one another, which means everything should go together nice and tightly, while being square and level.

I mixed the epoxy that Andre had sent me, and set it up on the indents on the sides of the hull. This is 30 minute epoxy that then takes 24 hours to fully cure. I had a good long time to work before it started to cure, so I made sure I had the ends covered in the epoxy well, then got everything nice and square. I then set up the strap clamp to make sure that it would hold everything together.

The strap clamp forces the hull to be held together at 90 degree angles. These things are used a lot in woodworking to make picture frames. They held the hull pieces at PERFECT 90 degree angles to one another, so the hull will be perfectly square.

The wax paper in the photo is to keep the epoxy from gluing the hull to my work desk. You can see the clamp in action. This thing is great. It made this part of the build infinitely easier, and it will come out much better. I was able to make sure that the hull was level as well, no twists this time. After getting it set up like this, two 10 pound dumbbells were set on the hull to keep it from moving at all in the vertical plane.

After letting the epoxy cure for a good several hours (not enough to handle the piece yet, nor to be fully cured) I left the hull in the clamp but added the bulkheads. My reason for doing this was to make sure that the bulkheads were in place without adding any angular stress to the hull that might contribute to any kind of twisting or bending. The bulkheads had their ends sanded with just a few passes of 80 grit paper, then were CA'd into place.

Here is the hull as it sits right now, just waiting and curing...

The epoxy should be fully cured by the time I get home from work tomorrow. At that point I will take the next steps in the build and add the double front and rear pieces to the hull. I'll then start sanding the bulkheads and the bottom line of the hull to get it ready to have the bottom added.

In another piece of news, I have almost enough hardware to build a third Tugster already. I just need another stuffing tube and drive shaft, and a hull, and I'd have enough to put a third boat together. I've contacted Zipp to see if they can sell me just a stuffing tube and drive shaft. If so, I will purchase another hull, the Kentucky wheelhouse, and a fourth hull. The fourth hull will be used to make a different type of wheelhouse to see how that goes.

Well, I'm done for the night. Tomorrow I'll get back to work!!
Gimpdiggity is offline Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:57 AM
Portland Oregon
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Apr 2014
89 Posts
Jeff,

That is the way they should look, just perfect! That is exactly the way I would build one of Tugster's. Keep up the good work.

Andre
Andre Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Andre Anderson
Old Today, 01:13 AM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
868 Posts
Thanks Andre.

This one looks a lot better just sitting on the desk than the first one did. I'm already planning on using that clamp for several other portions of the build...it should make it all so much easier.
Gimpdiggity is offline Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity