HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2014, 07:03 PM
United States, IL, Effingham
Joined Feb 2008
94 Posts
Discussion
1/2a Texaco...

So I do realize that there is an old timer forum and that some of my questions may be better asked there, but I have decided to start here. After about 4 or 5 years of saying someday I'll build a plane and go compete at SAM Champs in the 1/2a Texaco category. Well this year I actually built a 1/2a Dallaire Sportster for me and me and my 14yr old son put together a 1/2a Playboy Sr for him to compete with. So we're just going out and going try our best as a couple of rookies going up against pilots with a lot of experience. Our only goal is to not get a 0.
Both planes have Cox Texaco Jr II with the required 5.1cc tank. I added 5 head shims to each and am running the Cox 8x4 props. With that setup I'm getting engine run times of between 3:30 and 4:45 with the majority being sub 4:00. I'd like to get those times up, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Overall flight times have been mostly 8 to 10 minutes with a few over the needed max of 15...and I also had one flight of 44:12.
Have any of you flown these type of events? Do you have any advice for the rookies?
Thanks,
Rich
jorno67 is offline Find More Posts by jorno67
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2014, 07:28 PM
Joined Jan 2004
351 Posts
RCG is a great resource. But you could also try over at the Cox Engines Forum. It's dedicated to Cox engines and has a great many people who are extreme Cox gurus. The site is:
http://www.coxengineforum.com/

I've been on RCGroups for years, but for Cox stuff I go to the CEF.

Mark
gettinout is offline Find More Posts by gettinout
Old Sep 02, 2014, 09:44 PM
Joined Feb 2008
94 Posts
Mark - thanks! I will definitely check it out!
Old Sep 03, 2014, 03:34 AM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,057 Posts
Taibi PowerHouse pic http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4383064

I fly 1/2A Texaco out here in the west. I thought your motor runs sounded a bit short, then I realized you are using the small fuel tank. Sounds like you're getting a very good time.

My set-up is about the same as yours. Make sure the fuel pick-up is at the bottom rear of the tank. Use small silicone fuel line and cut it so it curves down and rests on the bottom lip of the back plate. Make sure there is an angle cut on the end of the tubing so it doesn't block the fuel flow.

The Cox motors can be fussy and usually because old fuel has gummed up the needle valve or the reed. Pull the needle valve and force fresh fuel through the needle hole to clear it. Be careful you don't flood the engine. BTW, don't use the needle spring. The needle has shoulder and I use a short piece of small fuel line to make a seal.

Cox plugs need a hot battery, never had much luck with the factory Cox 2-D cell package so I use a 12v RC power panel.

You can play with the fuel, 10% nitro will give a longer run than, say 25%. Sig Champion with 50-50 castor/syn is good.

There are some guys getting longer runs using larger diameter APC electric power props.

The PowerHouse I fly is very large and it helps stay in sight. Even though the timer is allowed to follow the plane, mine has disappeared OOS straight overhead. A small plane is at a disadvantage. After a couple OOS flights, it now has a tracker and RDT installed.

That's my 2 cents! So good luck!

Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:18 AM
Joined Feb 2008
94 Posts
Thanks for your insights Norm! I wish I'd have read this earlier. I screwed up big yesterday afternoon, I launched without turning on my receiver battery...I'm an idiot! I've been out looking for my bird in a cornfield. going back later. Wish me luck!
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:36 AM
United States, WA, Mt Vernon
Joined Jun 2014
164 Posts
Oh man, good luck! hope you find it!
MiZer1981 is offline Find More Posts by MiZer1981
Old Sep 04, 2014, 08:19 PM
Joined Feb 2008
94 Posts
Still no luck...going back out to the corn tomorrow.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 10:35 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,057 Posts
If you saw the plane go down, experience says it's not as far out as you think it is. If it went OOS, all bets are off!

I hate corn! If it's still tall, it helps if you get a helper and you carry a pole with a flag on it. Using a 2 way or phone they can watch and keep you on line.

Good luck!

Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2014, 08:50 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,358 Posts
Time to buy a drone with live vid feed to do a search n rescue or if you know a buddy who has one.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Sep 05, 2014, 06:46 PM
Joined Feb 2008
94 Posts
Found it! And without a scratch!
Old Sep 05, 2014, 07:28 PM
United States, WA, Mt Vernon
Joined Jun 2014
164 Posts
Sweet!!!
MiZer1981 is offline Find More Posts by MiZer1981
Old Sep 07, 2014, 11:48 PM
GO HARD OR GO HOME!
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jun 2007
177 Posts
I use an enlarged Kerswap, from memory about 8% bigger, wing area is now about 340sq. In. Norm is right about the bigger model being better and, what you lose in the climb, you certainly make up for in the glide. My Kerswap on more than one occasion has been the higher of the the models in the same patch of lift.

On props, I run an APC 7x5E, you might want to try an APC 8x4E also. I found that at the lower revs the electric props do give more thrust for only a minor penalty in RPM, and stil maintain a long motor run.

My fuel is 20% nitro, 20% castor and 20% toluene.

Hope this helps.

MT

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=75
mickey t is offline Find More Posts by mickey t
Old Sep 08, 2014, 10:25 AM
Joined Feb 2008
94 Posts
Thanks Mickey! My Dallaire Sportster has 300sq in. and I've switched to the APC 8x4E prop for a bit but ended up having the most luck with a GWS 8x4. Also I'm running 5% nitro. Last flight with that set up yesterday gave me a 3 1/2 minute engine run but if it had gone any longer I'd had been OOS.
Last edited by jorno67; Sep 08, 2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2008
94 Posts
My sons Playboy on the left, My Dallaire Sportster in the middle, and my friends Playboy on the right.