HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:35 PM
I like Golden Age
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2007
235 Posts
Discussion
Are the forums controlled by a few bad apples?

One of the annoying and consistent problems in the forums are people with exhaustive experience that are glad to give advice until they have to work in community with others, or have their advice challenged. If they are not allowed to have the last word they check out in a huff. I don’t get that.

I work in aerospace as an engineer where our discussions effect the lives of millions of travelers. Being a part of a community discussion is critical to successful throughput and solutions. People who only want to participate if they are allowed to have the final word, or are not willing to be challenged, don’t last long for very obvious reasons.

Seriously, how “knowledgeable” in a discipline can a person actually be if they are unable to work in harmony with others or resist being challenged?

Being able to embrace those two areas and navigate them without being insecure or diminishing others is a key to being a true leader that can successfully mentor others and pass on knowledge.

I’m glad that we have so many knowledgeable people in the forums; I just wish we had more professional ones.

Some days I do not even want to ask a question on the forums because it appears that these are the only people who exist on it anymore. And you can’t get rid of them because they don’t actually break any forum “rules. However, they create a poison atmosphere because true community dialogue cannot exist.

So anyway, is this just my experience, or am I accurately perceiving a culture that really exists in the forum?
ronj10 is offline Find More Posts by ronj10
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2014, 02:53 PM
Registered User
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,448 Posts
On the other hand when you do have information to impart which you know is accurate it can be distinctly annoying to have it continuously challenged by people who are obviously just guessing or who "think that's how it must work".

Challenging opinions - fine. Challenging facts - not so clever. Understanding the difference - essential for a comfortable existence around forums .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:57 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj10 View Post
I’m glad that we have so many knowledgeable people in the forums; I just wish we had more professional ones.
But then we'd have to charge you.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:36 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
I find it interesting that some feel they HAVE to read the posts of those annoying them but fail to realize NO ONE is forcing them. If you don't read something, from a certain individual, you CAN'T be annoyed.

Personally I think we get our expectations largely fullfilled. If we want to find annoyance and control, by others, we will.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 06:42 PM
Ultra Violet
Electromagnetic's Avatar
Joined Feb 2013
2,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj10 View Post
One of the annoying and consistent problems in the forums are people with exhaustive experience that are glad to give advice until they have to work in community with others, or have their advice challenged. If they are not allowed to have the last word they check out in a huff. I don’t get that.

I work in aerospace as an engineer where our discussions effect the lives of millions of travelers. Being a part of a community discussion is critical to successful throughput and solutions. People who only want to participate if they are allowed to have the final word, or are not willing to be challenged, don’t last long for very obvious reasons.

Seriously, how “knowledgeable” in a discipline can a person actually be if they are unable to work in harmony with others or resist being challenged?

Being able to embrace those two areas and navigate them without being insecure or diminishing others is a key to being a true leader that can successfully mentor others and pass on knowledge.

I’m glad that we have so many knowledgeable people in the forums; I just wish we had more professional ones.

Some days I do not even want to ask a question on the forums because it appears that these are the only people who exist on it anymore. And you can’t get rid of them because they don’t actually break any forum “rules. However, they create a poison atmosphere because true community dialogue cannot exist.

So anyway, is this just my experience, or am I accurately perceiving a culture that really exists in the forum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
I find it interesting that some feel they HAVE to read the posts of those annoying them but fail to realize NO ONE is forcing them. If you don't read something, from a certain individual, you CAN'T be annoyed.

Personally I think we get our expectations largely fullfilled. If we want to find annoyance and control, by others, we will.
I completely agree with both of you. I have firsthand experience with a few examples of this phenomenon.
Electromagnetic is online now Find More Posts by Electromagnetic
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:23 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
Of course if one looks at the common denominator, in all the fora, one discovers the actual problem.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
I believe the single denominator is that we are all human and VERY complex entities, capable of grand community helpfulness AND petty selfishness, at oh so many different levels.
We also tend to read too much between the lines, making too quickly, flawed judgements about the content of character of the other fellow, and visa-versa. And we're doing ALL this thru a VERY limited window.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2014, 07:18 PM
Ultra Violet
Electromagnetic's Avatar
Joined Feb 2013
2,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Of course if one looks at the common denominator, in all the fora, one discovers the actual problem.
Thanks for helping to prove the OP's point.
Electromagnetic is online now Find More Posts by Electromagnetic
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:05 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,382 Posts
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about then you know it's not my nature to be mysterious but I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why. (Brad Pitt)
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Just finished my first balsa plane, here are a few pictures. supercubcv Electric Plane Talk 19 Feb 15, 2014 09:42 PM
Discussion Bad idea to try 1.3ghz with 2.4ghz radio control? Troiano27 FPV Equipment 7 Oct 30, 2013 04:56 PM
Discussion Not All Drones Are Bad patrickegan UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 4 Oct 24, 2013 08:54 AM
Discussion birds are just BAD A@@ metalwizard Thermal 22 Oct 02, 2013 06:05 AM
Discussion Bad Friday weather, a few photos, new A4 & Castle are awesome Fokker Ace NEAT Fair 1 Sep 15, 2007 12:22 PM