SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2014, 05:01 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzdecat View Post
excellent ... I 'd like to have a big portrait painting on the wall with a set of those eyes embedded and a motion sensor for them to follow the movement of people in the room
Ya you can use facial detection software to lock a box onto the face and then have the eyes track it. they would get trick with the video though... needs to be dynamic video clips
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2014, 05:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
LOL, that reminds me of the old film-strip viewers where the slide-switch signal was an audible tone. It was hard to listen to - it really distracted from the educational experience. If you never got to experience film-strips, consider yourself lucky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filmstrip

Using the TFT screens with Arduino is surprisingly easy. You could run your 'eye' as an animation that way. I'm using it to make a password lock for my house.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 06, 2014, 08:05 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Heres everything running off the Pi.
I can't get the servo to work off the same batty pack unfortunately..
It mush have something to do with the ground on the audio chaco but I have all the polarities correct. I need to somehow isolate the power sources or something...

Digital - Analog Eyes (0 min 23 sec)
Old Jan 06, 2014, 08:06 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
LOL, that reminds me of the old film-strip viewers where the slide-switch signal was an audible tone. It was hard to listen to - it really distracted from the educational experience. If you never got to experience film-strips, consider yourself lucky.

Using the TFT screens with Arduino is surprisingly easy. You could run your 'eye' as an animation that way. I'm using it to make a password lock for my house.
I don't think you can do video with the arduino though.. as in a quicktime movie.. with an audio track..
Old Jan 06, 2014, 11:16 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Yeah I don't know, it's used to process video sometimes but I don't know about the other way.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 12:40 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I don't know, it's used to process video sometimes but I don't know about the other way.
Btw I'm surprised it haven't seen you in the estes proto x forum. Have you gotten one of those yet? They're pretty cool for 40 bucks.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 12:54 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Naw I don't have one I think five quads is enough for now
Old Jan 07, 2014, 12:56 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:

Yeah I grew up in the '80's.. I had a super 8 camera and a projector. Had fun making stop motion animations
Not sure what the slide-switch your talking about is though
Old Jan 07, 2014, 12:57 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Naw I don't have one I think five quads is enough for now
Ya im not much into them.. I only have this one. I saw it on the counter at the hobby store and it was so tiny I had to try it out. its only about 2" square.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 01:04 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Yeah I grew up in the '80's.. I had a super 8 camera and a projector. Had fun making stop motion animations
Not sure what the slide-switch your talking about is though
Basically, you would stick the film in the projector, and an audio cassette also in the projector. You would play the audio tape, and on the tape there was a low frequency beep (some people claimed they couldn't hear it) - anyway that beep caused the slide to advance. Early form of multimedia, very popular in schools in the 70s. In the 80s it was mostly replaced by videotapes, in many cases, of the old film-strips.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 01:19 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Basically, you would stick the film in the projector, and an audio cassette also in the projector. You would play the audio tape, and on the tape there was a low frequency beep (some people claimed they couldn't hear it) - anyway that beep caused the slide to advance. Early form of multimedia, very popular in schools in the 70s. In the 80s it was mostly replaced by videotapes, in many cases, of the old film-strips.
Oh you mean the slide projectors.. Not filmstrips.. but still slides.. Right you'd load the circular thing up with all your slides and then there was a wired remote to advance them firward/back. I don't think I ever saw the type you are talking about with a tape to control it.. Ya there were a lot of sound controlled things back then.. I had a toy robot that listened for a clicking sound from the "remote" and it reminds me of those horrible tv remotes that made nasty clanking sounds to tell the tv what to do.

I think a lot of animatronics chuck-e-cheese type things work off sound as well to control when to move. There is an audio control track to drive the actuators playing along with the music/voices etc..
Old Jan 07, 2014, 12:37 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Oh you mean the slide projectors.. Not filmstrips.. but still slides.. Right you'd load the circular thing up with all your slides and then there was a wired remote to advance them firward/back. I don't think I ever saw the type you are talking about with a tape to control it..
Yeah that was a different kind of thing - you can still get slide projectors with the round tray. I personally had one that used a linear rack, and it worked ok, sometimes the slides would get stuck in it.

The film-strip was a different thing. It was a set of slides, but all linked together on a single strip of film with punch-holes in the side. The projector just advanced it 'one slide' each time it heard the tone from the tape player. I think they were only made by a few companies and probably sold with the media. Basically it was low tech power point

Slide film is still used... it has extremely high grain, so you can capture details that a digital camera won't.

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Carousel...9119693&sr=1-3