HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:49 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Lengthening Ailerons on T-28

Hello all,

Getting back into RC and got a great deal on a very gently used Parkzone T-28. So far I have replaced the bad servo it came with and I bought new decals for it as the old ones were starting to peel.

Then the builder in me got going and I decided that I will spackle, sand and paint it while it is apart for repair/refresh to get rid of the old hangar rash and such.

Then I thought, well while I have it apart, how about lengthening the ailerons by a couple inches? Has anyone done this? My thought was to cut the aileron out with an exacto knife, then extend the aileron 2-3 inches further down the wing. Use toothpicks and glue to stick the two pieces together and then pin hinges to glue the aileron back into the wing. Does that sound like a reasonable plan??
Nathans_Dad is offline Find More Posts by Nathans_Dad
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,793 Posts
you could just use more throw instead of lengthening them. is there a reason for the lengthening?
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Not other than wanting to get the roll rate up. I have an ultra micro T-28 and it rolls pretty slowly. I had heard the parkflyer size rolled slowly too so I just thought while it was apart it would be a good time to do mods like that.

So just increasing the throw gives acceptable roll rates? If so, that's obviously easier than lengthening the aileron.
Nathans_Dad is offline Find More Posts by Nathans_Dad
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:54 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,793 Posts
yes, increasing the throw will help your rolls. either connect the clevis to a more inner hole on the aileron control horn and/or use a programmable radio to adjust rates.

i have one micro (pz spit) and i noticed that the ailerons run all the way to the fuse. not the same on parkflyers.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:29 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathans_Dad View Post
Not other than wanting to get the roll rate up. I have an ultra micro T-28 and it rolls pretty slowly. I had heard the parkflyer size rolled slowly too so I just thought while it was apart it would be a good time to do mods like that.

So just increasing the throw gives acceptable roll rates? If so, that's obviously easier than lengthening the aileron.
The big T-28 rolls faster than the um one as is. And you can improve it more by changing the throws.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:57 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,245 Posts
I considered increasing the aileron throws at the clevises on my PZ T-28 too. But as it is with throws set at the stock location, the foam hinge on the the top of both ailerons have a crack that runs the whole length of the ailerons.

And that's after only 2 years of flying it, and no crashes.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Last edited by Logan4169; Mar 07, 2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:16 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,171 Posts
I have the big and the baby T-28. The baby has a long throw servo set to 87% (more than that and the white plastic bit bends!) and the big one has maximum aileron throw. The big one rolls way better than the baby one. It has almost maximum rudder and elevator and I found, to my delight, that it will now spin properly
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:03 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
I have lengthened ailerons to get a faster roll rate on a couple dozen planes.
I have also widened them sometimes, to get more control at lower speeds.

I took the ailerons off my crashed Parkmaster and put them on my TwinStar, then I took the TwinStar ailerons and put them on my MiniMag, which greatly improved to roll rate of both, and they still looked stock.

The more throw the control surface uses, the more disruption of the smooth airflow across that surface.
So a larger control surface with less throw, is more efficient than a smaller one with more throw.
But the faster the plane goes, the more sensitive it gets.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777