HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:58 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,718 Posts
Discussion
VHS tape issues

Got a question for those have rolled a bunch of booms.
I had a bunch of VHS tapes laying around the house when I first took up rolling booms. Most of them had some kind of recording done on them and the history or age was unknown. Sure I had broke the odd one inside the boom when pulling it out from inside but never any really sticking issues. I ran out of those tapes.Most of them but not all were tdk tapes.
I since ordered a dozen new tapes from E-BAY and somewhere on the forum I read JVC tapes where preferred.
I went ahead and rolled 10 booms and the darn things are sticking. I managed to have a few work out alright but its clear the old tapes I had previously where better.

Three thoughts
- Is there one brand that is somehow better?
- would the tapes that were unused / brand new with no recording on them be somehow different?
- could it be from heat effecting the strength of the tape? god only knows the history of tapes bought from E-BAY even though they are new in the wrapper.

Its a bit frustrating to not have a consistent supply to tapes I can trust.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,216 Posts
All of my sticking problems have come from using old tape. Once I started buying unused JVC tape my problems went away. I've heard others say that old tapes worked better for them, so I guess it might just be hit and miss with this stuff. I remember reading that somebody found rolls of cheap plastic film about 1/2" wide at their local hardware store, and they worked consistently. I don't recommend curing with heat until you've removed the tape.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:22 PM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,718 Posts
Thanks Bill. Yea , I know about the curing with heat. Odd that Im using new JVC and having trouble. MM?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:30 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,709 Posts
I was the one a while back (maybe 3 years ago) who suggested using new JVC tapes. I have been using that same batch of tapes without any issues. Could be epoxy compatibility. What are you using? All of my layups are MGS 285 / 287 on booms.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:38 PM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
I was the one a while back (maybe 3 years ago) who suggested using new JVC tapes. I have been using that same batch of tapes without any issues. Could be epoxy compatibility. What are you using? All of my layups are MGS 285 / 287 on booms.

Stranger yet, Im using MGS as well. Im not having a lot of trouble pulling it out from inside because I put a light amount of Vaseline on the tape covered mandrel but Im having trouble with the edges tearing when I remove the outer wrap. Its leaving the appearance rather crappy as well. Maybe I just have a old production run.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:42 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,709 Posts
I think the tapes just may be batchy, or made in different places and supplied by the lowest bidder. Hard to tell. Certainly there's been some inconsistency.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,216 Posts
I've been using RR 2050. Haven't tried with MGS. Oh, and FWIW I'm Brandon, not Bill
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
I've been using RR 2050. Haven't tried with MGS. Oh, and FWIW I'm Brandon, not Bill
Thanks guys. I might just try another order. Sucks that I dont even have a VHS player anymore.

@Brandon, sorry bud. I forgot your Brandon. I can appreciate you not wanted to be Bwandon so I dont know why I came up with Bill . My bad
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:28 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
At the risk of offending your knowledge (I don't mean to) Are you putting the correct side of the tape towards the boom? You have been doing this for a long time so I figure that is not the issue but I figured I better ask.

PaulluaP
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,216 Posts
No worries you're not the first.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:40 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
The stuff for tomatoes works well...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UJrizGt5mSM

Hopefully that link works...

If not search "sturdy stretch plant tie" on home depot...
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:50 PM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
At the risk of offending your knowledge (I don't mean to) Are you putting the correct side of the tape towards the boom? You have been doing this for a long time so I figure that is not the issue but I figured I better ask.

PaulluaP

Not offended but no, I got that part right. I just did a batch of resin with 3 different tapes stuck down to a piece of plastic. I have a known good tape. a jvc and a tdk.

I will have to wait till it cures .

Thanks Heliwill [Bill] I might check that out.

I have all the supplies for a one pc fuse mold and have wanted to go that route, Im tired of rolling booms. Problem is I diced up 4 yrd of kevlar for a bunch of pods. Took me 2 days Isnt that the way it goes ,eh!
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:22 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
You could make a new mold the the same pod

No wasted Kevlar....
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:25 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,709 Posts
Nothing worse than cutting large batches of kevlar. I cut enough for 20 one piece fuses a couple of weeks ago... 14 pieces of kevlar per fuse

Let us know how your epoxy test goes. I'll do the same this evening as I have about six different epoxies downstairs.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:13 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,130 Posts

Just try curly ribbon instead of VHS tape.
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er