2,703 Posts
I just got notification that mine shipped. :-D
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
LHS owner had one out in the parking lot this afternoon. It flies very nice even
outside with just a hint of a breeze.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,554 Posts
Maiden flight in my basement this evening. Goes where my Plantraco Butterfly and Carbon Butterfly wouldn't dare. Much easier to putt around than a 2 channel living room flyer. The battery has no problems with a 5 min. flight timer. The motor was warm to the touch, so I don't recommend longer flight times as the pager style motors do not like heat.

9.2g with the battery on my scale. There's room for some weight savings through removal of non-essential parts.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:46 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,458 Posts
interesting tim, could you take some dimensions of the brick on it? how small is it compared to the old vapor one? it is surely lighter if its only 9.2 grams
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:08 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Ordered mine last Thursday, UPS delivered today (Monday). Seems there is slender advantage to living in Illinois after all...

Have tinkered with indoor RC since flying one of the first Kolibri kit- builds.in the US, circa 1996, when Andy Clancy imported the kit from Germany. Still have the RC gear and a 50mA nicad from my Kolibri - a comparison photo is needed here.

No doubt the Mini Vapor could be improved on by someone with the unique skills to build at this scale - build, I do, but not around this level.

But! I got mine out the box, RTFM (read the flippin' manual), charged up a cell and flew her around our condo garage. Yes, I have done a little flying in various environments.

Got the RTF version with the kiddy-wink toy tranny, so all I have to haul to indoor sessions is the nicely padded box. Might bind it to my Spektrum 7 ch tranny as well, just to tinker some.

One - trimming is called for, as she flies real nose high/high alpha. Took a lap or three to live with this, but it proved easy to get in and out of. Turns equally left and right, figure eights are easy. I did as I was told and ran a timer, landed just after 4:30.

Two - I think it will 'fit' in our bedroom. The garage is good, but people do keep driving in and out

Three - the UC is staying. She does real easy going rollers (touch and go).

On the whole. A tad pricey, longevity to be seen - though my 'Ember' is three years old or so and is still running fine, but for being able to fly indoors in the depths of a Chicago winter - worth it, I believe.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
interesting tim, could you take some dimensions of the brick on it? how small is it compared to the old vapor one? it is surely lighter if its only 9.2 grams
The brick is 18mm long x 25mm wide.

Removed about half the velcro from the battery and the airframe. Snipped off the excess length of the wire tie used to retain the wires on the fuselage stick. Removed the the backside and pull tab portions of the label on the battery. Got it down to 9.1g

Prop shaft was factory lubed, but a bit heavily. Cleaned it up and added just a tiny bit of my favorite "slot car" red oil. Looks like transmission fluid, but doesn't smell.

I keep making small CG changes and it keeps getting better. It will fly figure 8's in the length of a 6 place dining room table.

I'm going to need more batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Had a brainstorm when I ordered mine. Got four extra cells and a couple of 'spare' props! Having but one cell would be a pain

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,458 Posts
So it is a smaller footprint than the 6400, its 23.45mm by 27.75mm. It sounds like its the size of the old kyosho Cessna receiver, which was lighter as well... Should allow for some nice peanut scale planes at least
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Bit the bullet, purchased a BNF for myself, with a spare prop, motor, gearbox, axle and battery.

Horizon Hobby has such a SLOW website!
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Jun 2008
680 Posts
Been playing with mine for a couple days now, absolutely love it. Must have for an indoor or calm day flyer. Practically can hover as well
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:18 AM
Concorde :D
Joined Jan 2012
59 Posts
Hi all I joined this forums a year ago but I haven't posted much but I'm back with a question about my ember 2. I'm trying to design a set of tail feathers for the plane but i can never get the measurements right. So can anyone here post the plans for their custom ember tail feathers? Thanks guys
Ozvooky is offline Find More Posts by Ozvooky
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:11 AM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
AHHHHHH I just got one and I have to wait until I go to my indoor flying site to feel it out and that will be next Thursday.

I have t wait drat. My wife bought it for me as my birthday and she said it is :CUTE". That ruins a plane it will never fly right.
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:46 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
On the whole. A tad pricey, longevity to be seen - though my 'Ember' is three years old or so and is still running fine, but for being able to fly indoors in the depths of a Chicago winter - worth it, I believe.

Regards

Dereck
If my memory is correct, you probably paid less for the Mini Vapor than you did for your Ember (Jan 2010 Ember BnF was $89 and Vapor was $99, from WayBackMachine, and Mini Vapor is currently $79 BnF). IMHO, there is no way this plane is pricy. It's less expensive than the original Vapor was when it was first released, which I think was $99 in BnF version. The Mini Vapor is a screaming bargain (again IMHO).

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Nov 21, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Sep 2002
6,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
If my memory is correct, you probably paid less for the Mini Vapor than you did for your Ember. IMHO, there is no way this plane is pricy. It's less expensive than the original Vapor was when it was first released, which I think was $99 in BnF version. The Mini Vapor is a screaming bargain (again IMHO).

Gordon
Even more of a bargain compared to the Carbon Butterfly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:20 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,389 Posts
Mine showed up this afternoon, and I've gotten ZERO work done since. Awesome little plane, just wish I had the foresight to order more batteries.

-A
AJWoods is offline Find More Posts by AJWoods