scottrod31 is offline Find More Posts by scottrod31
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:38 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Wow!

I love the idea.

I've been wanting to build small gliders for a while now. The idea is that with a low enough sink rate I can catch those evening thermals that used to threaten my free flight rubber scale planes. Then I was very aware of the hazard of those thermals, but with RC all of a sudden the look like a nice niche for a quiet flight or two in the late afternoon while the big gliders are being packed away.

Maybe it's just a day dream, but I can't wait to try it out.

Edit:

UMX ASK-21 BNF by E-flite (2 min 17 sec)

This blows me away. Also three axis gyro stabilization means that you can fly in pretty rough air as long as the wind isn't strong enough for you to wind up facing forward and flying backward. (Ask me about that some time!)

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Last edited by PeteSchug; Feb 01, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:51 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Yes, I like your thinking, Pete. HH "had me at hello" with this one.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
I've been thinking about small scale RC gliders for a couple of years now. Planning to shoehorn an AR-6400 brick into an Earl Stahl TG2. Looks a bit narrow, but I can get it scaled up at Kinko's.

http://www.theplanpage.com/esp.htm

Also started a Vampyr, but went a little to small for the brick so it's backburnered for another attempt, but this ASK-21 blows me away. My full scale home field (have valid license in pocket, but need more than a check ride after all these years) has two ASK-21's and I've been sorely tempted to at least take a demo ride.

This new toy fits right in with my daydreams and fantasies.

Pete
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:06 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,884 Posts
Pete,

A fellow Boeing buddy of mine and I have for several years toyed with the idea of 1-meter-span scale gliders, towed behind an electric tug. I was going to do the Sterling Schweizer 2-32 (42" span), or maybe a 39" Hutter 17, but we never got around to it.

Now this. Seems Horizon sensed our yearnings, so I guess I'll just have to get one of these ASK21's and see what we were on to!

BTW, the AR6400 brick and the Earl Stahl TG-2 were made for each other! Good suggestion (hmmm... I have that plan, and an idle PKZ3351 brick...)
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Glad to share that. I hope you get one built and post it here.

I'll concentrate on getting a reasonable version of Vampyr going. I got the plans (really just drawings) reprinted at Kinko's in a slightly larger scale to fit the brick and (daydream) stick my tiniest video cam in the pilot's seat.

Probably won't get it built soon though. Too much clutter to deal with in this tiny apartment.

Pete
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
My ASK-21 shipped today.

Naturally the thermal season is over hear in New York State and we're going to have a full blown hurricane around the time my little glider gets here but I really look forward to getting it and I'll probably need a new one by spring!

Pete
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:26 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2008
5 Posts
Adding a ballast

The ASK 21 is very light, which is nice.... when it's calm...

I am used to flying a stout discus launch glider which is a blast to slope soar in 20+mph winds.

Has anybody had any luck with adding a ballast to this thing? If so, how much? and what did you use? Lead weights? and, most importantly, did the wings snap off during any G maneuver?

If nobody replies I am going do some experimentation and I'll let you know the results.

Thanks,

Jace
dotnetdotcom is offline Find More Posts by dotnetdotcom
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:24 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,843 Posts
I don't think the wing can take much added weight in windy conditions.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:29 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2008
5 Posts
You're right, the wings do seem rather flimsy. They certainly flex a lot during high g maneuvers (and this thing canít exactly pull high g manuvers).

Anyway, I did add a small ballast in the form of a larger battery. I used a battery that I already have, an E-flight 1S 500mAh (http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...odID=EFLB5001S). I installed it in the canopy of the the ASK-21. It fits in the canopy perfectly and is snug enough to not move around during flight, and the CG stays acceptable since it is closer to the wing.

I flew it in ~10 mph wind on a slope and it was a blast. I could gain altitude without even trying and pick up significant speed in dives (enough to do multiple consecutive loops). Plus I stayed in the air for about 40 minutes (thanks to the larger battery capacity).

So, if youíre looking for a small ballast and/or longer flight times, try out this larger battery. You will need a small adapter to connect this batter to the receiver (came with an E-flight charger already had).

Jace
dotnetdotcom is offline Find More Posts by dotnetdotcom
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:37 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
I figure on a two month wait for real glider flying weather around here and I'm really looking forward to it. My ASK-21 is still in good condition and my Carbon Cub is too.

Seriously thinking about the 1/4th scale Blanik also.

Pete