to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:21 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,969 Posts
Very nice n sweet.
A Green Woddie, who'd think.

Your combination of modern state of the art blended with old school woodie is choice.
Must be a #22 thing.

Jared
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:34 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Hi Everyone
I have been trying to catch up with Merrill for many days and last night I finally caught him. Merrill says that since the fall fest at Visalia it is like he has been working a second full time job and trying to juggle family obligations, with no flying time on the weekends and no extra time to spend on the computer . That is one of the big drawbacks to a one man shop, Merrill says he has thought about hiring someone to help with production, but he would have to raise the price of the kit to pay wages to someone. The biggest issue he has about bringing someone into his shop is the consistency of quality of the product. Merrill has a true love of the kits that he produces and he is very picky about the quality of what he puts his name on. There is a bunch of work that goes into each kit -the painting, the laying up of the fuselages, wrapping spars, and the cutting of all the little pieces. Even with all of that work this kit is affordable to all. It is hard to find a good quality building kit and not break the bank like planes out of Europe and Asia.
In this age of instant e-mails and messaging we need to realize that we as a people start thinking that we should get everything we want right now without waiting, but it still takes time for the paint and epoxy to cure because every kit that Merrill produces is made to order and it takes time for a quality kit to come from MM Glider Tech.
Just for clarification I don’t work for MM Glider Tech and I don’t receive any compensation.
Merrill Brady is a great friend and is my flying partner when I am in California and best of all I love to build the kits he has to offer.

Clarence Ashcraft
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
Well, My Oculus is finally complete. I will fly her in the morning! It has been a joy to build.
Vern
vfrank59 is offline Find More Posts by vfrank59
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:10 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethermal View Post
Hi Everyone
I have been trying to catch up with Merrill for many days and last night I finally caught him. Merrill says that since the fall fest at Visalia it is like he has been working a second full time job and trying to juggle family obligations, with no flying time on the weekends and no extra time to spend on the computer . That is one of the big drawbacks to a one man shop, Merrill says he has thought about hiring someone to help with production, but he would have to raise the price of the kit to pay wages to someone. The biggest issue he has about bringing someone into his shop is the consistency of quality of the product. Merrill has a true love of the kits that he produces and he is very picky about the quality of what he puts his name on. There is a bunch of work that goes into each kit -the painting, the laying up of the fuselages, wrapping spars, and the cutting of all the little pieces. Even with all of that work this kit is affordable to all. It is hard to find a good quality building kit and not break the bank like planes out of Europe and Asia.
In this age of instant e-mails and messaging we need to realize that we as a people start thinking that we should get everything we want right now without waiting, but it still takes time for the paint and epoxy to cure because every kit that Merrill produces is made to order and it takes time for a quality kit to come from MM Glider Tech.
Just for clarification I donít work for MM Glider Tech and I donít receive any compensation.
Merrill Brady is a great friend and is my flying partner when I am in California and best of all I love to build the kits he has to offer.

Clarence Ashcraft
nice post C! Only a few of us close friends to Merrill, realize how much work goes into producing this kit! I promise after I get off of Saturday duty, sometime in December I will hop back on my Oculas, and E- Oculas build!

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrank59 View Post
Well, My Oculus is finally complete. I will fly her in the morning! It has been a joy to build.
Vern
Wow another Oculus to take flight, Take some pictures Vern

Clarence
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:50 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
I will hop back on my Oculas, and E- Oculas build!

Al
AL set the kit in front of you on the table and resist the urge to hop on the Oculus...I don't think the balsa will handle the abuse.

Clarence
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
Whoo Hoo! She Flew!.
Well finally finished my first Nice sailplane kit. Aprrox. 75 hrs. to build it. The manual helped out tremendously. Even though I thought I read it 3 times, I still missed inputting some info in my head. I finally found the info on the last page on how to hinge the rudder!
The Oculus has a Hacker 30xl motor in it with a 3 Cell 2100 mah Lipo battery. Graupner 15 x 8 folding prop. Performance is perfect with this combo. I placed the servos under the wing. The CG is at 4 3/8 in right now. I needed 3 click of down elevator to fly hands off.
I launched it with about 3/4 throttle and it leaped at a 45 degree angle climb out.
The first thing I noticed was how quick it headed for the moon. Point the nose down and it is pretty quick also. I did an few loops and 3/4 rolls. No problem doing that. Rudder was extremely touchy, waggling all over the place. I calmed my thumb down and it settled nicely. I am used to flying stuff with max throws and that's is what I had for the rudder. The spoilers are terrific and powerful. I had them set for 90 degrees up and Boy did it want to come down fast , like it was sliding down a pole. I checked the rudder throw and set it per the manual. It flys great now.
Weight came in at 77 oz. I did not have to add any lead for balance. This is the first time that has happened to me!
I flew it for 3 hops today, Best one motor launch was 34 mins. It picked up a couple very light thermals and just as claimed , the wing tips really let ya see what is happening. I hope to get in some good flying time tomorrow. The weather is gonna change and blow Friday around the desert.
Thanks, Merrill, for designing such a great kit. By the way the Chair is large.
Vern
Last edited by vfrank59; Nov 07, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:37 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
487 Posts
Hmmm either Clarence is very short or that chair is overly large... Otherwise that is some def eyecandy there guys..
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:06 AM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Vern that is a great looking plane. and to have some great first flights with it...well that makes for a great day.

As I am typing this I am a little jealous after looking at your pictures because right now I look out My window and I see snow falling outside and sticking to the road.

Clarence
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
Yes, the weather is now perfect for us in the desert. This is the begining of our flying season. Anything above 85 degrees is the stop flying time, for me. The radiant heat from the sand makes it feel much hotter. I have been waiting to have some fun.
Vern
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:34 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrank59 View Post
I have been waiting to have some fun.
Vern
After all the building it is time to enjoy.

Clarence
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
487 Posts
Well Clarence you could move down here to sunny south Texas... none of the nasty white stuff...
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:12 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt62 View Post
Well Clarence you could move down here to sunny south Texas... none of the nasty white stuff...
jt
I don't mind the white stuff... I don't ski anymore and we are only average 30 minutes from 5 different ski resorts.and the nice thing is that all those visiting skiers bring there money to our state and that is proven by our 5% unemployment rate.

Clarence
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:26 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Well the holiday season has slowed me down on projects and today I had a bit of time to work on the E-Oculus I am going with a geared (aprox) 600 brushless from Cermark with a gearing of 4.3 to 1 this is it http://www.cermark.com/products/Cerm...-Gear-box.html

I started testing with a 15x8 prop and it would pull 75 amps and give all kinds of thrust, that was too many amps for where I wanted to be so I got a 13x8 prop and it brought the amps down to 40 and it brought the RPMs up by 7000 so it will be a rocket and with a 1300 mah 3s lipo I can get 3, 30 second runs out of the battery so I should be set.

Clarence