HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2011, 12:25 PM
Joined Aug 2004
16 Posts
Help!
dx6i wont enter bind mode

I am new to dx6i. Can anyone help with info here?

I have a MCX. It binds and flies fine with the controller it came with. My dx6i simply refuses to bind.

Steps:
-TX has a new mem channel selected, all sticks/trim/switches at default
-turn TX off
-plug batt in MCX, light flashing
-hold Trainer switch up while turning TX on

Result:
Nothing. The TX beeps three times and shows the default screen with the model and trim info - just as it would if NOT holding the trainer sw. It NEVER says "binding" or anything. It doesnt matter whether I keep holding the trainer sw, or let it go after a few seconds. The MCX never stops flashing, never binds.

Am I missing something obvious? Seems that this should just work!
roachslayer is offline Find More Posts by roachslayer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2011, 12:44 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Did you put in all the mCPX settings into the DX6I first before you bind?
Also make sure throttle trim is all the way down, not center.

I have a setup guide for the mCPX/DX6I with step by step video.

Post #15

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1325037

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Jul 08, 2011, 12:49 PM
Joined Aug 2004
16 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!

I just opened up the CASE on my dx6i, and discovered the plug for the Trainer switch was plugged into the WRONG SOCKET!

It was behaving as though the trainer siwtch had NO effect, so I decided to open the thing up and discovered this insanity inside. I unplugged the connector from the WRONG socket and plugged it into the socket labled properly for trainer/throttle mod (they share the same plug), closed up the case, and I entered BIND mode without issue - Problem SOLVED!

Does anyone know what the socket labeled "WR" is for, right next to the trainer/throttle mod socket on the board??? I wonder what might have been damaged, if anything, by these switches being plugged in wrong.

Anyway, I then read the sticker that says "Made in China", and this all made sense.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 01:44 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2010
336 Posts
Opening the case was a good idea. I was going to ask if the trainer switch worked normally otherwise and if not, would have suggested the same thing. You might have had a broken wire or broken switch. But incorrect assembly is much more interesting!

If the "WR" socket is a 2-pin socket as for the other switches, then it probably IS just a switch socket... perhaps a hidden one for service use, I don't know. I haven't opened my DX6i.

In any case, if "WR" is a switch then closing it is probably not going to damage your TX. It's not switching high voltage, probably just a digital signal that's read by the software. If everything seems fine after your repair, it probably is fine.
horseflesh is offline Find More Posts by horseflesh
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:17 PM
Joined Aug 2004
16 Posts
The "WR" socket is a 5 pin, and the Trainer/ThrottleHold socket is 4 pin (those two switches are wired in and share the same connector)

Here is a pic of the trainer connector plugged into where it SHOULD be (circled), and an arrow points the empty 5pin socket named "WR" that it was impropley placed in. Other than pin differences, the socket type is the same - meant for this type of connector.

Looking at images online, it looks like most folks controllers (production shipped) dont have anything plugged into this WR socket. However, strangely, the dx6i manual seems to have a ribbon cable plugged in there, running around to the front. Odd.

I havent found anything wrong with my controller after this, but it's not like I tested every function. The strange thing is, you would have to be an IDIOT to put a 4pin plug into a 5 pin socket, as the plug doesnt even line up properly, not to mention a 4 pin socket right there available! It's as if this was intentional....
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:05 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Is this a NIB transmitter or did you buy it used?

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Jul 08, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Aug 2004
16 Posts
oh, I certainly should have specified, good point Tom.

It was bought used, but the prior owner claims he never opened it. Also, he had no trouble binding it to his plane using a bind plug (which I have not tried - I only am binding to Eflite rx's that dont use bind plug).

If the trainer switch connector was disconnected inside, I would say he's lying - the TX would never, ever work for anything. But it was technically connected... to the wrong place. So depending on what that WR connector does, there is a chance maybe it worked in certain scenarios. It is unclear whether it came from the factory this way. I just cant see how this TX would have EVER been useable at all, nor how or why anyone would make that "mistake" internally.

The mystery is unsolved. Certainly a fascinating, very unexpected issue.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:33 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,382 Posts
Quote:
you would have to be an IDIOT to put a 4pin plug into a 5 pin socket
Unless you were an 11yo Chinese girl not really paying attention.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
Joined Aug 2004
16 Posts
Horizon Hobby provided a very unfriendly, unhelpful response (below). It is disappointing that a company cannot be more open to being helpful with things like this.

"I cannot offer any support regarding the inner workings or schematics to Spektrum and JR transmitters, sorry. Shorting the pins, could have potentially damaged something in thetransmitter."

They also said:
"Any customer experiencing problems due to manufacture defects can send in their products for warranty inspection, replacement and/or repair."

Well of course it could be sent in for warranty repair, but the fact is, that is not what the inquiry was for. If I was providing a product and my customer had a question like "hey, what would happen if I do this?", then I would be happy to respond with "oh, that connector is for X, and would cause X behavior". It's not as though I asked for a schematic for the entire unit.

This is a HOBBY product, and as such, it's good to provide some level of detail beyond - nothing. When I buy a car, I want more than a users manual and a dealership - I want a repair manual too, and I actually DO care about how my engine and various functions work, and what to expect when faults happen. THAT IS WHAT HOBBYISTS DO. So, sorry that I ACTUALLY CARE about my product, Horizon Hobby, thanks for nothing.

Meanwhile, my TX seems to work great . But this was a good test of how customer oriented a certain company is and whether I would want to invest in further products. Also, it is still uncertain, though possible, that it came from the factory this way.

FAIL
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:08 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Did you try contacting them through the spektrum site or the horizon hobby site?
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:43 PM
Joined Aug 2004
16 Posts
Horizon Hobby. I assumed the support inquires simply route to the proper dept in the end, but maybe not?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:52 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,382 Posts
Quote:
If I was providing a product and my customer had a question like "hey, what would happen if I do this?", then I would be happy to respond with "oh, that connector is for X, and would cause X behavior".
In an ideal world, yes. But the depth of product understanding you seek doesn't exist among phone answerers. The cable guy who comes to my house has it, but the phone answerers do not.

Here's an example from within the hobby industry. When I first did business with Hobby Lobby (the one in TN, not the chain) their phone guys were actual hobbyists. If they didn't know something, they knew who did and would pass me over. A corporation bought them out and laid off all those knowledgeable guys. Now you're lucky to get the phone answered at all, and the person doesn't really 'know' anything.

Business just isn't willing to pay for live knowledgebase at the phone level. What they do is put the answers to the questions they can think of at the time into a computer. Then they can hire phone people to do nothing more than enter what you tell them and read what pops up on the screen. If you ask something they didn't think of, you get the response you got.

IOW, the guy you talked to didn't have the slightest idea what you were talking about. Virtually every consumer business with phone support works this way.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:06 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachslayer View Post
Horizon Hobby. I assumed the support inquires simply route to the proper dept in the end, but maybe not?
I doubt it... try again through the spektrum website and see what happens. You may still end up with the same answer but then again... maybe not.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss