HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2009, 01:40 AM
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
Discussion
PC & eLogger V3 connection issues **FIXED**

Hey guys I just got my Eagle Tree eLogger V3, I've tried to follow the directions on setting it up on the PC. But.... my computer doesn't recognize the logger. When plugging it in I see a LED illuminate for 2 seconds then it flashes again every second. It doesn't do that every time it is plugged in though. Sometimes it doesn't do anything at all.

It appears to work ok plugged into my plane and using the LCD to work as a watt meter.

I'm using Vista 64, I've even tried my 32 bit XP with the same results. I've restarted several times and verified my connector is correct too. I'm at a loss of what to do!

Does anyone have any ideas?

***UPDATE***

Below is an email I got from Don @ EagleTreeSystems

"Hi Jason,

Sorry for the delay, we are shipping a replacement V3 eLogger to you at the following address. Unfortunately, we have been out of stock on replacement units until very recently:

Your eLogger may have had an intermittent issue, but we could not reproduce the problem you experienced. The replacement unit has been configured/tested with our latest release version (7.84) software. We recommend that you download and install this version prior to connecting to your computer, we also would recommend that if USB connection problems persist you might try using a USB hub to connect the unit to your computer."

So I get so excited when it arrives on the 21st, I plug it in and the same thing happens sometimes it doesn't energize and sometimes just the single flash. So I decided to try in on a computer at my work. Bamm.... same thing, nothing. So thinking about it I had another USB cable, plus the same pins and connector to make a new USB adapter cable. So I made the new cable get home and look it now works, and it's up and running.

So word to the wise if you're reading this because your logger isn't working, try a new cable.
chayos00 is offline Find More Posts by chayos00
Last edited by chayos00; Oct 23, 2009 at 03:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2009, 03:26 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
854 Posts
I have had similar USB connection issues (Windows XP). I have only been able to connect the elogger to my PC via my powered USB hub. If I try to connect it directly to my computer's usb port, i just get the 1hz blinking led (the power panel also shows the sensor readings). Even when I connect it to the hub, sometimes I will get the "device connected sound" followed quickly by the "device disconnected sound" and I have to unplug it and replug it back in for the computer to recognize it. I also tried plugging it into a second computer and I could not get it to recognize it at all. So, I can use the elogger, but I am a little concerned about this weird behaviour.

I sent an email to eagletree support about this (and another problem) about a week ago, but I have not received a response.

The only suggestion I can offer, is if you have a powered usb hub you may have luck connecting the elogger via the hub.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:57 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
That's odd behavior (in both cases). Can you let me know what types of PCs you are using? Sometimes we get reports like this with off-brand PCs.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:42 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
854 Posts
It's a custom built pc, but the motherboard is an aging Asus A7N8X deluxe.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:49 PM
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
Did you ever get any response from those guys?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:08 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
chayos00, I was asking above what type of PC you have? Grumpy, I think the problem you are seeing is due to the custom PC. If you have a chance, could you try the logger on a name brand PC? What we see is that the timings on non-mainstream PC's can sometimes have issues with USB.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:31 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Grumpy, I think the problem you are seeing is due to the custom PC. If you have a chance, could you try the logger on a name brand PC? What we see is that the timings on non-mainstream PC's can sometimes have issues with USB.
What timings are you referring to? I am not overclocking or using aggressive memory timing. If there is a bios setting that you think might make a difference, I can give that a try. Many "mainstream" PCs use ASUS motherboards, and I have found that they are generally quality products.

What I find particularly strange is that the elogger seems to work OK when plugged into the hub, but if I unplug the hub an plug the elogger into the same port as the hub, the elogger does not go into "USB mode".
Last edited by grumpy42; Jul 28, 2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:29 AM
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
chayos00, I was asking above what type of PC you have? Grumpy, I think the problem you are seeing is due to the custom PC. If you have a chance, could you try the logger on a name brand PC? What we see is that the timings on non-mainstream PC's can sometimes have issues with USB.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree

Sorry I didn't notice your response earlier. Yes my PC is custom built, but it is also all "name brand" items. I have an I7 920 cpu, with an Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard. This PC is top notch and works great with everything else. I'll try it on my brothers "Dell" computer as you say it should work on.

I'll keep you updated!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:18 AM
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
Ok I tried the logger on my brother-in-law's laptop last night. Same exact results. It is a 1 year old dell inspiron.

I did notice that when I first go my logger it "smelled" funny, and still does. Not sure how to explain it.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 04:40 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi chayos00,

Thanks for trying with a Dell. That eliminates the "custom PC" issue. If the eLogger smells funny, I think it may have been damaged. We will need to get the unit in-house for repair/replacement. could you email us at support@eagletreesystems.com for an RMA number? Please post here if you don't hear back in a day or two from your email. I am worried that a spam filter may be blocking it.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:24 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Grumpy, what we have found over the years is that, in general, when we get reports of USB issues, they occur on non-mainstream PCs. My suspicion is that the issue is with the BIOS, but I don't have any first-hand evidence of this.

The fact that it works with the hub sort of confirms this. I suspect that the hub's BIOS is within spec, but perhaps the BIOS on the Asus is not. Mainstream PC vendors often update their BIOS for USB and other issues.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:28 PM
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
Thanks Bill I sent the email. Plus I got the standard response of we'll be in contact soon. Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2009, 09:40 AM
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
Hey Bill I just realized today that I never did get a response from your company about my logger!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:26 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi chayos00,

Yikes! I am assuming a spam filter is to blame. Can you reforward your email to support2@eagletreesystems.com?

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:51 AM
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
I just sent the message. It's from chayos00@comcast.net.