New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:37 AM
Find More Posts by nuteman
Joined Apr 2013
1,093 Posts
Discussion
Canard with adjustable vectored thrust

OK, I got some time this weekend and I've made and flown a vectored thrust canard with adjustable thrust angle: 45 degrees for takeoff and then immediately after takeoff set to fully forward thrust for "normal" flight.
Only a single engine was needed.

The three take-offs and two landings in the video below pretty much says it all, but I've also made a "tips" video discussing the final modifications.

Take-offs and landings:

Canard vectored thrust takeoffs and landings - huge success (1 min 6 sec)

Tips/discussion:

Tips for Canard vectored thrust (4 min 51 sec)
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
Last edited by nuteman; Jun 16, 2014 at 09:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,346 Posts
interesting design. the layout of it reminds me of a dragon fly. seems to fly well. very cool.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:23 AM
Find More Posts by nuteman
Joined Apr 2013
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
interesting design. the layout of it reminds me of a dragon fly. seems to fly well. very cool.
Thanks. Yes, it is by far the most interesting plane I've made - both in planform/structure and in flight characteristics. Though it is pretty ugly after all the re-work/repair from crashes in the initial stages.
To be fair though, the basic idea of a large foreplane (canard) has been done many times before (some call it a "tandem wing" design). Though I'm not sure if vectored thrust for take-off has ever been applied to a tandem wing design.
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman