Nice flight Jimbo !! AWESOME flying spot

Do i build a heavier one now LOL
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Oct 21, 2014, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by jimbo320
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,831 Posts
Some more flights as the autumn storms arrive bringing strong winds, with all the ballast, quite a wide speed range this little beauty has.

M60 Rips the Cliffs (4 min 27 sec)

Hurricane Gonzales hits uk shores. Winds up to 110mph recorded up in the North of the UK.

Tail of a Hurricane (2 min 28 sec)
Last edited by jimbo320; Oct 21, 2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by Nebulas
Still fighting gravity
United States, OR, Coos Bay
Joined Aug 2013
102 Posts
Nice flying with the big winds!! Nice spot too!! Makes me miss my M60 even more....
Nebulas is offline Find More Posts by Nebulas
Old May 30, 2015, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by wopachop
Joined Apr 2007
2,113 Posts
Read this entire thread last weekend. Holy moly i never do that!! My eyes were burning. I had lots of questions and comments. Made a huge post, waited until the morning to post and lost it when i refreshed the page.

So a week later i will try to remember. One thing is i wish there were more pics of the build process. Especially the different covering techniques. Ive never used an iron or any of the different covering films. Seems like there are different choices and thicknesses. What are people using these days?

Glues:
Are there areas that Foam Tac would be ideal?
On the fuselage i believe there are 3 techniques. Thinned down Goop, Welders at max stregnth, and PU with thin CA on top. Is that correct?

Would epoxy with Glass fiber cloth work well? Does Polycrylic have a place with slope planes?

Servos:
Potting the servos sounds fun. What about blue tape around the servo instead of sandwich bags? I picture the sandwich bag crinkling up in spots, creating a gap.

Does anyone else do an Upper/Upper mounting of the servo horn and the control horn? There was 1 guy who said thats how he did it.

Ballast Tube:
At the end of this thread people were talking about how many Lead slugs are included and talk about balance. I saw 11, 12, and 13 lead slugs mentioned. I believe the Ballast Tube comes with 11 lead slugs according to the website. Its a 12" tube and the slugs are 1" so that leaves room for the end caps.

Regarding the balancing i think you can use an Odd or Even number of Lead slugs and still be balanced. If you are using an even number, just use a wooden down in the very center.

Somewhere in this thread someone linked to a different post about the slugs getting stuck. Matin gave some great advice. He said to roll a 2x4 on top the lead slug over a flat surface. Theyre soft enough to thin out and not get stuck inside the tube.

Cant wait to fly a M60. Will be my first real slope plane. Im ready!! Emailed Matin and he said they should be back in stock early June.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old May 31, 2015, 07:11 AM
Find More Posts by jimbo320
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,831 Posts
wopachop, build it as spec in the manual and choose you covering of choice, i have always used film, which is OK but as an m60 will be one of the most used models in your hanger, it will probably get tatty. So some sort of more resistant covering technique if poss.
Potting is the best way as the servos dont more and your linkage is excellent. I have never broken a servo horn so bottom mounting is fine.
Ballast tube, make openings at both ends you can easily remove the lead if you bend the tube after a hard impact.
The only modifcation i would make would be to replace the standard carbon longeron with a steel bar of the same diameter, adds ballast, and makes the fuseagle unbreakable. Flying performance is improved with more ballast.
Heres another outing in 52.

M60 in 52mph (3 min 24 sec)