HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2006, 08:30 PM
columbus oh
Joined Aug 2006
21 Posts
Discussion
SF501 Preassembled

Hello

I should be getting my first 1/5 scale bake any day! I couldn't decide on nitro or elec. So I got both!!! Have to wait a couple weeks to get the SF501 elec race version but was able to get a preassembled nitro one sent right away!! My question is should i disassemble and reassemble making sure all is locktighted? And any other helpful tips would help too.

Thanks,
Pete
pistol974 is offline Find More Posts by pistol974
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2006, 08:35 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,655 Posts
well since it's your first bike... it might be wise to disassemble the bike just to see how it's put together anyway... makes it easier when it come time for repairs/upgrades..

and you get to see how it all works
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Sep 13, 2006, 08:47 PM
columbus oh
Joined Aug 2006
21 Posts
what % fuel should i run?
OS A-3 is what everyone uses for plug?
geting very excited to get the bikes!
Anyone in ohio race bikes?

thanks again
Pete
Old Sep 13, 2006, 08:48 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,655 Posts
I use 20-30%... 30% on cooler days.... 20% above 90
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Sep 13, 2006, 09:14 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Two bikes! Man you definitely jump in with both feet, don't you? You'll fit in just fine on this forum!

I'd -definitely- disassemble it and locktite everything, or you will spend most of your time looking for stuff that falls off. You will probably also need to adjust the chain tension, unbind the forks in the triple clamps, check/service the rear shock, etc. You may also want to go ahead and relocate the crashbar mounts, a simple and very good mod to do. There are about a million and one tips, mods and improvements for these bikes to make them perform better, too many to list, I'm afraid. Once you get the hang of controlling your bikes, you will want to start going faster and improve their handling, and this is the place to find out how to do that!

Welcome to the madness, and keep us posted on your progress!
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Sep 13, 2006, 09:54 PM
2 Wheel Junkie 4 Life
San Diego Lindberg, California, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,433 Posts
Yep, you need to play with the bike and learn to drive, then
consider what upgrades you would like to do so you can
improve the bikes handling.

Lorenzo
lorenzo_MiniGP is offline Find More Posts by lorenzo_MiniGP
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:05 PM
columbus oh
Joined Aug 2006
21 Posts
I'm planning on using the elec to practice with so when it's time for nitro i just have to worry about tuning instead of learning to drive and tuning the engine. Will the stock tires be good for learning? I'm going to start with a 19 turn and pulsar quantum comp 2 spedo. I race offroad elec cars so i have many motors and batteries.

Pete
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:22 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Excellent plan. Electrics are easier to drive and learn on. If you have any experience with r/c planes or you ride 1/1 motorcycles, that will help you out also. Nitros throw an extra layer or two of complexity on top, more so than just engine tuning. You will still have a learning curve of sorts when you fire up the nitro bike, even if you feel very comfortable driving the electric. But once you start getting the hang of the nitro, your electric bike will probably start gathering dust.
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Sep 14, 2006, 05:05 AM
Everyone crashes sometime
Orlando, FL and Washington D.C.
Joined May 2006
1,427 Posts
I started off on the same foot. Bought an electric and a nitro at the same time. Learned a ton of stuff messing with the electrics and then switched over to the nitro. IMHO, a world of difference. And while I really do appreciate the cleanliness of the electrics, you just can't beat the smell of nitro in the morning.

As Allan Waterfall said, "Running electric is like watching TV without the sound."
quickster47 is offline Find More Posts by quickster47
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:51 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Well you would definitly have to learn to love nitro.And also have patience but in the end nitro will hook you in and take you over egde if your not careful.

I'm starting to think i need professional getting worse with this addiction.DAMN BIKES!
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:38 AM
Brossard, Quebec Canada
Joined Aug 2006
51 Posts
Welcome, pistol974 to this forum. I'm like you, can't decide between elec or nitro so I ordered both. I have bought nitro pre-assembled too. I am sure you will enjoy this forum, everyone are very helpful in sharing and guiding newbies like us in the thrilling rc. Should I assume that in the past that you are into guns as well?(just because of your alias)

Enjoy !!!!
bossyng is offline Find More Posts by bossyng
Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:15 PM
Warwick - UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,151 Posts
Has anyone found a way to make kit tyres work? I'm starting to wonder why they bother supplying tyres with the kits at all when everyone throws them away and fits GRP or PMT !
Dez82 is offline Find More Posts by Dez82
Old Sep 14, 2006, 05:26 PM
columbus oh
Joined Aug 2006
21 Posts
Man do I hate waiting for stuff to arrive! I do have a Honda xr250 and have been riding since 4yrs old (now 32), never owned a street bike though I have ridden many. Also have elec heli, elec plane, Elec car x3, and nitro car x2. I fly my elec heli ( Hirobo Lepton ) most of the time. We have a pretty good heli club.Hopefully I will be able to convert some of the heli guys to the bikes. In the winter we have a indoor offroad club that I will be looking for new bikers too. I have always found it to be much funner running your car, truck, ect... with someone else than by yourself. Well hopefully my bike will arive tomorow.

Pete
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:02 PM
columbus oh
Joined Aug 2006
21 Posts
I put a order in for some molded inserts at Formby Models and was wondering if any of you other USA guys order from there and how long it usually takes to get here? They seem to have alot of parts in stock. Anyway hopefully my bike will come tomorrw!

Pete
Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:01 AM
koh
Joined Jun 2004
97 Posts
Hi all,

Any one know which GRP tires (front and rear) Formby Models selling is 45 shore?

Thanks.
koh is offline Find More Posts by koh