SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2005, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2005
24 Posts
Is it better to have more watts

Is it better to have more watts or just enough ?

I have a 16oz ( excluding motor / Lipos ) 3-d aerobatic and not sure what motor to buy to lean 3-d
I have been looking at Himax 2015-4100 ( 110W ) or 2025-4200 ( 175W )
http://www.toddsmodels.com/Brushless...gearedinfo.htm

One is rated at 10A the other 15A do i asume that the flight time will be shorter on the larger motor or if i use the power to fly the model on say 1/3 to 1/2 throttle i would get a longer flying time as i am not using all the watts or something like that ?

What i am looking for is a 10 minute flight using 11.1v lipo

Any suggestion's ??
woody uk is offline Find More Posts by woody uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2005, 02:33 PM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
It is hard to say which one would give you longer flight times. The small motor might be pushed more to the edge of it's ability and therefore have lower efficiency and lower flight times, while the bigger motor carries the plane easier and therefor more efficiently, but on the other hand, the bigger motor weighs more so it has to use more power to fly.

If I had to guess, I would say that the larger motor would give shorter flight times, because most people just use the extra power instead of putting a smaller prop on and running the motor efficiently. If you are worried about being on the edge of enough power, go with the big motor. It is better to have more power then not enough. You should still not have any problems getting a 10 minute flight out of either setup.
ryanl2006 is offline Find More Posts by ryanl2006
Old Oct 01, 2005, 04:50 PM
Joined Mar 2005
24 Posts
Thanks
Think I will go for the larger motor and use a smaller prop, then at least i will have the option of more power later if needed
woody uk is offline Find More Posts by woody uk
Old Oct 01, 2005, 06:04 PM
London Gatwick, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2004
244 Posts
Definitely go for the more power,you can always throttle down ,you can never throttle up!.I doubt if you would notice much difference in flight times,providing they were flown to give a similar performance. if you see what i mean.And also you may want yo try something bigger layer.
oldphart is offline Find More Posts by oldphart