SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:58 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Nike 2 Q.....

Hello all, just a quick question for anyone with a Nike 2 concerning the stabilizer mount. There is only one (nylon?) screw attaching the stab to the glass hinge block, which seems precisely one mounting screw short, to my mind. Has anyone experienced problems with the stab loosening/flexing using this system? Thanks, -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2004, 05:47 PM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,889 Posts
I have...BTW DO NOT use a metal bolt on the tail...it eats the glass WAY too easy. Thanks to Jay (soho) I've got a new one and have learned my lesson. Getting back to your ?...what I do to stop the pivoting motion is take a 1/4-20 nylon washer and carve "cleats" into it with my dremel. Nothing big, just something to grab a bit. Probably would work without the cleats too...you just need something larger than the nylon screw head. I thought about tapping out a second hole but thats just overkill.
Joe Ford is offline Find More Posts by Joe Ford
Old Dec 20, 2004, 05:49 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
I used double sided tape between the saddle and stab. Drilled and tapped for another screw between the existing one and the LE. I feel much better now.
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Dec 20, 2004, 05:57 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Thanks guys. I was going to set this up for take-down, but I've a mind to epoxy AND screw that puppy on now. -thumbs
Old Dec 20, 2004, 06:28 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
I have thought about the twisting of the hstab and to be honest, it doesn't seem to matter. But yes it definitely builds confidence to build it with a second hold down...

j
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Dec 20, 2004, 08:27 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Hi Jay. Yup, a little "sohoverhauling" couldn't hurt . On the subject of heading off possible trouble spots, those aileron horns don't exactly inspire confidence, what with the lack of a load spreading base or torque rod attached. I'm used to a more robustly built type of bird (converted glow, etc.), but if you guys haven't experienced any problems I'll go ahead and use them as is. Thanks, -thumbs
Last edited by fumblethumbs; Dec 20, 2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 03:35 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
80 Posts
locating pin

The stab on my Nike 2 would spin a tiny bit so I put in a small locating pin behind the main screw and drilled a hole in the stab mount. I don't think you need another screw, but the locating pin works great. FYI, I just used a cheap metal hanger and cut a 1 cm section from it for the pin.

Also, watch the small metal rod that acts as the pivot point for that stab. It may work itself loose and slide out one side.

P
psoutowood is offline Find More Posts by psoutowood