HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2001, 10:21 PM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Float Flying In December!

Who would've thought I would be float flying a lot of so far in November and December,in Michigan? Today was no different, pond was like glass temp around 40 deg. F, no wind 7 packs through the Wingo on floats real nice. Blizzards are probably on the way, but so far it's been a great flying season and it's considerably shortened the flying downtime to spring! Indoor is nice, but there's nothing quite those Rise Off Water take-offs and skimming the surface landings. Do you think there are actually indoor meets with small pools for Tigermoths on floats? Naw, no body could be that crazy.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2001, 10:28 AM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
Rich S,

I haven't been float flying down here yet, but I've been flying every week down here in Atlanta. I can't believe how nice it has been. I'm from the Toledo, Oh area, and it is never this nice.

A couple of buds and I planned our yearly snowmobile trip to Paradise in the U.P. for next week, but they don't even have any snow. Last year the week before Christmas they had over 2 feet.

I've got a set of wingo floats, how did you attach a water rudder?

Thanks.

Tim
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
Old Dec 09, 2001, 10:50 AM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Wingo Water Rudder

Virus,

I don't even use one on this little plane, it's slow enough that I can usually bring it in within a few feet of shore. On my larger float planes I run a sleeved golden rod from a control horn on the rudder down to the floats (it's real easy). I'd like to get a few more e-float planes that work as well as the Wingo.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old Dec 09, 2001, 06:33 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,023 Posts
A water rudder is not needed on the Wingo because of the rear mounted motor and pusher prop blowing clean air on the fin/rudder. The Wingo Porter on the other hand needs twin water rudders because the twin pusher props don't blow any air on the fin/rudder and it goes where ever it wants when the wind is blowing. Trust me, I know. Even twin rudders were a problem because the left prop would blow air on the rudder and make the plane veer off to the left on takeoff under full power. Even with full right rudder and twin water rudders. I removed the floats and sold the plane, and put the wingo floats on my speed 400 powered Lazy Bee. It works great. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith