HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:17 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
613 Posts
Question
Spektrum buddy leads -stereo or mono?

I have get a buddy lead so I can join my local mfc. Then find a member-instructor who uses a Spektrum Tx. Thems the rules - and most members use Futaba. Also, I will probably have to now switch to Mode 4 - after 12 months of park flying in Mode 2. Grrr!

Well anway, I've bought a 2.5m 'buddy lead' from eBay in anticipation, and I expected it to have a stereo jack connection similar the Spektrum flight sim donglebox-thingy. It doesn't, this one has mono jacks.

My question is - will it still work or was it mis-sold?
FlyBoy20 is online now Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Last edited by FlyBoy20; Sep 11, 2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: forgot to tick for email notification
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:13 AM
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
871 Posts
either one works
Tucci is offline Find More Posts by Tucci
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:00 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,241 Posts
Real ones are mono.
Stereo works.....sometimes. May not be reliable.
Audio cords work....generally....but some have resistors that screw up the signal. You can't tell by looking.
Some TX (DX5e particularly) have a finicky receptacle and don't' connect right with some cords. Known problem.

IMO - better to get a real Spektrum cable. The 90* cable end alone is worth it.
Try it, on the ground and thoroughly, with someone that knows how buddy systems work.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:44 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy20 View Post
I will probably have to now switch to Mode 4 - after 12 months of park flying in Mode 2. Grrr!
WTH?! Why? Don't let anybody make you change. You're using the most reasonable mode already. Mode 2 makes logical natural sense, and the other modes mostly exist due to limitations of older equipment, which don't exist any more. Don't let anybody make you switch, that's just plain stupid.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:00 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
WTH?! Why? Don't let anybody make you change. You're using the most reasonable mode already. Mode 2 makes logical natural sense, and the other modes mostly exist due to limitations of older equipment, which don't exist any more. Don't let anybody make you switch, that's just plain stupid.
+1 on that. There is no good reason to make you switch. You can connect a mode 4 and mode 2 as buddy boxes no problem.

The only reason you would have to switch is if someone there was going to fly your plane with YOUR transmiitter, and in that case, all you need to do is swap the rudder and aileron plugs at the reciver while they are flying. (carefull of any mixes though, if you have one thats required to fly, you would have to program its mode 4 opposite).
You might also consider a transmitter upgrade to one with selectable modes, like spektrums dx7s, 8, and 9, the swap from mode 2 to 4 and back is purly electronic, and all mixes would still work right reguardless of mode.
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:13 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,557 Posts
flydiver is right on. You have to be careful that the audio cable you use is not call an "attenuation" cable. You can't tell by just looking at it. A resistor is buried inside. You can check the site where you got it and see if they mention "attenuation". It won't hurt anything, but it just won't work

You can also check it if you have a muti meter. Set the meter to the 200 ohms mode and check from end to end of the cable. If you get a reading of 00.0, then the cable is ok.

Again, you can also just try it. If it is an "atteuation" cable it won't work and it won't hurt anything.

I pulled my hair out for two days until I figured this out.

Tom
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx