Old Jul 07, 2013, 01:38 PM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
873 Posts
Discussion
Jw Spar repair

Hey Folks,

I have a light Jw (53oz) that has a broken spar, about 8" from the wingtip.
Feels like a pretty clean break, rest of plane is still in good shape.

Looking for ideas on how to fix the spar without dismantling the whole thing and cutting out the whole spar. If that's the case, I'd rather just buy a new one.

TIA,

Colby
flytrip is offline Find More Posts by flytrip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2013, 04:26 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,050 Posts
I've "fixed" loads of broken spars in foamies. I do it like this: Cut away a strip of covering alongside the spar broken part, the width of a new spar. Dremel out a channel to take a new piece of spar. Glue the new piece in, finish nicely, recover with tape or something. If you broke top and bottom ones, do it twice. The length of the new piece you'll have to decide for yourself. If its a break in the centre of the wing, Id use about 12", out near the tip 5" or 6" will be plenty. My foamies end up riddled with these kind of repairs and the still fly fine. Just keep getting heavier.
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Jul 12, 2013, 03:27 AM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzo View Post
Just keep getting heavier.
And flying faster
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:16 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,672 Posts
I will add to Gizzo's repair tip to double check the tip-to-tip balance of the wing after the repair. It will most likely be off quite a bit so its a good time to balance things out again after major surgery like this.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:12 PM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
873 Posts
Thanks fellas, got it fixed.
flytrip is offline Find More Posts by flytrip
Old Jul 14, 2013, 04:34 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
wouldn' t the spar just break again where the new piece...

Quote:
I've "fixed" loads of broken spars in foamies. I do it like this: Cut away a strip of covering alongside the spar broken part, the width of a new spar. Dremel out a channel to take a new piece of spar. Glue the new piece in, finish nicely, recover with tape or something. If you broke top and bottom ones, do it twice. The length of the new piece you'll have to decide for yourself. If its a break in the centre of the wing, Id use about 12", out near the tip 5" or 6" will be plenty. My foamies end up riddled with these kind of repairs and the still fly fine. Just keep getting heavier.
hits the old spar due to wing loading? or am I missing something?

thanks
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:55 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,688 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grfcon View Post
Wouldn' t the spar just break again where the new piece hits the old spar due to wing loading? or am I missing something?

thanks
Grfcon, I read Gizzo's post as meaning adding a new section of spar alongside the broken original spar; with the new section acting as a doubler. Ideally, the doubler would taper in thickness at its ends to reduce the chance of a stress concentration.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:07 AM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56 View Post
Grfcon, I read Gizzo's post as meaning adding a new section of spar alongside the broken original spar; with the new section acting as a doubler. Ideally, the doubler would taper in thickness at its ends to reduce the chance of a stress concentration.
I see it now..didn't catch that the first time. makes sense..thanks for pointing it out.
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon