HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:00 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,223 Posts
Discussion
OS FS52 gummed up

This motor was broke in on the bench 15 years ago then sat in storage until now. It rotates but feels gummed up. Can it be saved with some cleaning and lubing up?

Eric
oldscooler is offline Find More Posts by oldscooler
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:57 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,809 Posts
It could be but I wouldn't.....it's time for a tear down and bearings.

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:33 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,321 Posts
liberal doses of fuel or other solvents will probably free it up nicely BUT it rarely gets the goo out of the engine. chunks of old congealed oil floating around inside will just cause problems down the line. so as said above, tear it down.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:32 AM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
906 Posts
I am in the process of tearing down an OS 40 FS Surpass. It has caused unbelievable frustration and cost an inordinate amount of time. You have to extract the wrist pin through a hole in the back of the crank case. If it is badly stuck, it is extremely difficult to remove. Even with a lot of heat from a torch, you will need to make a tool. A friend did that for me and succeeded. That's before you get to the bearings. I had a hard time getting the front bearing off, which is usually pretty easy. I never did get the cam bearings out, even after making a tool and using lots of heat.

After this experience I consider OS 4 strokes disposable engines. The time and aggravation are just not worth it to me.

The big question is whether or not the bearings are actually rusted. If they are, you will see rust elsewhere in the engine. If not, congealed castor will make it feel rough, but that is temporary. A heat gun will do a good job smoothing things out, and after you run it you will not be able to detect any roughness at all. IF they aren't rusted.

This is from my experiences with frozen up diesels with ball bearings. They feel rough at first, but with heat, they are absolutely fine.

Consider yourself lucky if all it is is congealed castor.

Jim
buzzard bait is online now Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:36 AM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
906 Posts
I went back to the first post. I hate to say it, but that engine looks terrible considering it was never flown. I suspect it was stored in a moist area and there is corrosion.
buzzard bait is online now Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:07 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,323 Posts
This is what happens to a connecting rod if the congealed oil doesn't clear out of the big end oil holes fast enough.

I hear people run gummy engines all the time, but the above rarely happens. This happened to a friend of mine who loosened the engine with solvents and heat. Luckily, it didn't blow a hole through the crankcase. I can't bring myself to run an engine without clearing the oil holes in the rod.

Yes, if you have to pay yourself or anyone else, it's hardly "worth" the time to rebuild an engine. This only reinforces that these things should be cleaned and stored properly to avoid them being turned into a lot of work. Kindly dispose of your engines into my mailbox.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:41 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscooler View Post
This motor was broke in on the bench 15 years ago then sat in storage until now. It rotates but feels gummed up. Can it be saved with some cleaning and lubing up?

Eric
If you wanted to spend the money on shipping both ways I would rebuild your engine for free. Only need to spend on parts needed if any.
The only cheaper way is for someone in the US as nice as me willing to do the same job.

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:49 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
The only cheaper way is for someone in the US as nice as me willing to do the same job.
Bill,
Better yet, make me a fair offer and I will send to you on a one way trip.

Eric
oldscooler is offline Find More Posts by oldscooler
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:48 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,216 Posts
I started an OS 20 today that hasn't run in over 25 years! Yesterday I sprayed some thread unlocker (can't remember the name) and working the engine over and over until it was free. Then today after some tinkering, started it up! Flew 4 flights no less....this engine is a bearing engine, not roller bearings......
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc