HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:35 AM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Spoilers arrived and they have been mounted. I will see if I can come up with some pics and video this weekend. First flight with them was great. Mild wind conditions and I got in quite a few low passes where I could check out their performance. I have them set up on the 5th channel (gear) and a mix on my DX6i. Flip the gear switch and the spoilers come up. Depending on the toggle of the mix switch they either come up halfway or full. So far, from what I have observed and my purpose of spoilers full deployment might be the most used option.

They really do a good job on reducing the glide. There was a slight nose up when they deploy but it's perfectly manageable so far, and it also slows up the glider a little. It's fun to watch the glider accelerate and change glide ratio when you pull them in too.

I did some quick tests from higher up where I nosed it over and hit the spoilers. It seems to help control the dive speed and keep it from getting too fast. I also tried out full right or left rudder and full up elevator. With the spoilers up the spin is at a much slower rate and steadier, with a good amount of sink. I goofed around with them for about an hour flight and am happy to report I am pleased with them. The install went well and the results are quite noticeable.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:46 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Since those are verticle deployed spoilers they could be called airbrakes. They will induce quite a bit of drag.

The other kind, the barn door type that bring a flat plate up at an increasing angle induce a little different behavior. They will usually induce a nose down result.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:27 AM
United States, NJ, Chatham
Joined Mar 2003
133 Posts
aeair,

Did you ever try the Radian wings with flaps that I sold to
you?

Tom Unger
baldy is offline Find More Posts by baldy
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:56 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
flaps work awesome on my bros radian.
i also have ordered these airbrakes but to fit to my 3 meter condor. whats the quality like?
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:00 AM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,472 Posts
second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Were we talking about contest flying where the landing may be scored in inches from a point, and the difference between first and 10th place can be a matter of seconds on a clock? Then a glide path tool can make a huge difference, and can be called necessary.

When you would be happy landing within 10 feet of a mark for fun flying and there is no clock running, then it is not.. At best it is a nice to have.
So since this hobby is "modeling" would this be "remodeling"?
If its FUN do it!! Adding unneeded weight is never good so if you do it, do it light
The flap route has more useful ways to be operated so may be more FUN.
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:46 AM
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
the whole hobby is sposed to be fun. so do what makes ya happy.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:06 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Since those are verticle deployed spoilers they could be called airbrakes. They will induce quite a bit of drag.

The other kind, the barn door type that bring a flat plate up at an increasing angle induce a little different behavior. They will usually induce a nose down result.
Both types will create a nose-down condition ...
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:11 AM
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Both types will create a nose-down condition ...
not in all cases! some airbrakes can and do induce a nose up attitude.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:08 PM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
I have a couple more flights in with the spoilers/air brakes from HobbyKing. I am thoroughly pleased with them. They really work well and while the glide ratio drops dramatically, their deployment doesn't affect the flyablility of the plane. It makes landing a lot nicer when you can come in way too high, hit the spoilers, and still put it down right in front of you. I have also been trying things like going up and deploying spoilers and trying to loop. It just will not do a loop with them out, which is a good thing in my opinion. They also seem to keep the speed under control in a dive and I don't feel like I am about to rip the wings off anymore. Of course you really don't even need to dive with them on, but it's good to know they help out.

Having them on the plane seems to be a little confidence boost as well. I hit a thermal the other day that was amazing how fast the plane was going up. I stayed in it much longer knowing that I had a backout plan if I needed.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:30 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
aeair,

Did you ever try the Radian wings with flaps that I sold to
you?

Tom Unger
Yes, I did. They work fine. I put a pair of hitec HS-55s and have them on a Y cable to the left stick of the DX5e that came with the RTF. I have moved throttle to the gear switch.

They do add a degree of camber control which can be useful for thermal climb and reflex for wind penetration, as you would expect.

They do help shorten the landing with more control on location, also as you would expect. Will be helpful for ALES contest landings and for tight landings when slope soaring.

However, most of the time I fly it with the standard wing. Quick and simple to set-up and I don't have a lot of problem with landing control on the standard set-up. But for contests and tight landing areas I will use the flapped wing.

For anyone who is looking for a flapped Radian wing, the one I got from Tom is very well done. The servo pocket is routed out and the flaps are nicely hinged. I am very happy with it and would recommend his wing set-up to anyone.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 09, 2013 at 12:41 PM.