HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,342 Posts
The tiny Hi-Def camera is from HK for like 40 bucks.I just cut a hole and removed Pilot and thats were camera sat.Canopy is tinted so it makes video dark but I still like it.
I dont know about Sims, I never had one,been flying way before there was such a thing....
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:24 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro View Post
PS. Does this thing fly anything like the Phoenix RC model in the sim?
Not IMO. The sim model is hypersensitive to roll input and the actual model is much more reasonable.

That said

1. I'm flying a Habu 2 and the sim model is the original Habu.
2. I have 40% expo in high rate, and expo can't be programmed in a DX5 (the included controller for Phoenix). I don't know if it can be set somewhere in the program.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:28 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,879 Posts
I can answer the camara question. It's $37.00 at HK. and Hd 720I. Check a good video I put in the wings/strikerQ section last week. Best there is for a low price.
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:43 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,342 Posts
Ahhhhhh, expo/duel rates....I never had them in the begining learning to fly so now I still never use them,I set max throws and just fly the sticks.Never even measure control throws, from experience I just judge how much throw I think I will need and go with it.I have let others fly my planes and after about 10 seconds they scream for me to take radio back as planes just all over the sky...I just laugh.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
In Phoenix flight sim you can go to "edit model" and there is a tab there that allows you to set expos regardless of the tx bein used. There is also a physics tab (which I find to be a contradiction of a sim) that allows you to either "dumb" a plane down making it doscile or make it fly more realistic.
I have been flying the Habu 2 in the sim extensively at 100% physics level with 60% ail, 50%, elev, 25% rudd expo rates. And I find the model to have an unrealistic ability to float/ glide at no throttle which makes the flaring up on landings so crazy.
However I just purchased the real model and I intend to use the same rates with the reccomended throws. So this will be an interesting maiden as I compare it to the simulation.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:27 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,342 Posts
Thats cool, let us know how it compares, I tried a sim in the LHS just to see and it just does not feel right at all.If you have to program it to be more realistic,what do you do with the real plane when it doesnt act like a sim?
I think Sims have their place, for a totally new person, it gives them somewhat of a feedback of the sticks but does not have the ugency of a real crash mistake.
Oh another note, I installed my new 6s 3300 65c in mine, Picked up almost 500 watts, 4000 rpms and about 15 amps. It had great verticle before and could hover just fine, but now it propels up hard holding onto it. I am saving it for end of month when a bunch of us are going up to Colorado flying Labor day weekend.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined May 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
In Phoenix flight sim you can go to "edit model" and there is a tab there that allows you to set expos regardless of the tx bein used. There is also a physics tab (which I find to be a contradiction of a sim) that allows you to either "dumb" a plane down making it doscile or make it fly more realistic.
I have been flying the Habu 2 in the sim extensively at 100% physics level with 60% ail, 50%, elev, 25% rudd expo rates. And I find the model to have an unrealistic ability to float/ glide at no throttle which makes the flaring up on landings so crazy.
However I just purchased the real model and I intend to use the same rates with the reccomended throws. So this will be an interesting maiden as I compare it to the simulation.
I'd be interested to know how you get on if you manage your maiden before me. I like to fly at 100% and havent touched rates on mine at the moment but if it makes for an easier maiden, I might give it a go.
Boro is offline Find More Posts by Boro
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:49 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
And I find the model to have an unrealistic ability to float/ glide at no throttle which makes the flaring up on landings so crazy.
Yes, I forgot to mention that. I promise you the physical model doesn't behave that way.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined May 2012
83 Posts
Hopefully maidening mine tomorrow if the weather forecast is right :-)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro View Post
Hopefully maidening mine tomorrow if the weather forecast is right :-)
You and me both, Boro. I am actually quite pumped up about it despite it being just another little foamy. I will get some video and will report back how it goes for me.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:17 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,342 Posts
Lets see them videos! There are not many vids out there but maybee weather will be good for some flights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined May 2012
83 Posts
Weather sucked today here in Southwest UK. However, the SE had the hottest day on record. Go figure!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
...and the weather was perfect this morning up in the pacific north west.

whalleyb0y's new habu (8 min 24 sec)

I set it all up at reccomended rates with flaps and gear and used my 4s 3000 30C lipo. Now that I can compare the real deal to my Phoenix sim version I have to conclude that the characteristics are identical. Even on flared landings the real plane did carry a long ways as it does in the sim. On my first landing it surprised me on how agile and light this foamie really is. I'm not sure what the fuss about the CG is all about? I set it up as detailed in the manual and cg was good with this battery. I didn't have to trim anything but the flap/elev mix I guessed at when setting the tx. Awesome plane that left me wanting more. My Dynam Pitts bipe is faster than the habu which is kinda sad but I will be dropping in a 6s setup into it sooner or later.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:31 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
Lets see them videos! There are not many vids out there but maybee weather will be good for some flights.
well ok then
this was my first video on my new camera last sunday and recorded Blair's new Habu v2 so it can and will get better but I was surprised how well it did come out I just need to work on keeping the jet framed and not zoom too close

Blair's Habu V2 in HD (4 min 10 sec)
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:59 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,342 Posts
Whallyb0y, nice video.It does fly good stock!Your roll out was shorter then I have seen on other videos,looks like it has plenty of power stock.
As far as second video......yea,I heard conversation midway through
Camera takes very good video! I think if you leave it on auto focus it wont blur sometimes, my friend that takes my vids learned that with his hi def camera.Nice save on 1st landing approach!! Mine being heavier does not float that well and doesnt seem to bounce allthough 1 rough landing and I may bend some gears.
RCG Plus Member