HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:47 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
Discussion
construction suggestions

So i've got this nice new motor from Nitro for my micro hotliner project, I've got the wings and v tail done, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to go about building the fuselage. I dont want to have a pod and boom style fuse, but rather a full fuse like the pic below.

Wishing I was more skilled in the art of fiberglass molding as I'd really like to do a fully molded fuse, but I dont think that will happen. So I'm thinking maybe a long block of balsa, carved into shaped, then cut down the middle, hollowed out then glued back together...seems like it would work. It could be much easier if I go with a square sided fuse, but I really want it rounded.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:03 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,748 Posts
I've built fuses like that before and works well. Easier way is to tack glue two pieces of pink insulation foam together, carve to shape, then split it apart. Hollow out with a soldering gun with a piece of copper household wiring shaped like a spoon. To shape the fuse, make templates from bristol board with the inner shape to the curve of the fuse. Different ones with different shapes as the fuse gets smaller toward the rear. This way you keep both sides of the fuse exactly the same shape. This one was for a 25 sized glow, scratch built many yrs ago before I got into electrics. It was covered with 1/16 balsa, but not necessary for electric. Hope this helps for some ideas.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:52 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
810 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1376793&page=3

post number three.

Use the technique often.
gklein is online now Find More Posts by gklein
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:13 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll have to give both of those techniques a shot.

I've got a long time friend of the family who happens to be an amazing clay artist, I may have to put him to work.

Thanks again,
Nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder