HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone extra 300 begginer

Hi All,

Im looking for some advice, im a begginer with very little experience , i have a parkzone extra 300 which is little bit too advanced for me, and i want to get something little bit more forgiving.
The extra flys really good, very responsive and fast plane, but landings are just to hard for me. It needs a fast approach which is too tricky for me, and especially because it doesnt float.
I flew it the other day in windy conditions and she stalled on approach and nose dived broken landing gear and propeller...

What can you recommend me as a good large training model, i have dx6i tx?

Thanks
xpro is offline Find More Posts by xpro
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:30 PM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
If you can keep an extra 300 4ch aerobatic plane airborne, I'd recommend you build a cheap and easy scratchbuilt that you can learn (first) belly landings then landing gear landings with. I built a NASTY out of 1/2" house insulation foam that I learned to fly and belly land. You can then add landing gear if the plane has survived or build a full fuse plane and learn LG takeoffs and landings.

The 1/2" foam NASTY flew very slow and floaty if I wanted it to and took lots of abuse. Even as my first RC plane, it outlasted 2 sets of transmitter batteries.

*EDIT* OH, and since you already have a radio. If you build yourself a beater scratchbuilt, it can be done for around $50.
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:33 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
xpro,

It's a smart man who knows his limitations. Stick is giving you good advice. There are a lot of models like Leadfeather's Yak 55, Edge 540 and the SuperSlofly 28 that you can build out of a sheet of foam. Put a Blue Wonder 1300Kv, 10-12 amp esc and a 500 milliamp 3s battery on them and practice flying rightside up, upside down, bring them in on their belly, nose up on grass all day long...$50-$60 dollars. When you destroy the foam, build another one and transfer the motor etc.

If you don't want to cut your own, go to Fancyfoam or WMparkflyers and buy a kit already cut.
Tons of fun and when you think your ready, go back to the Parkzone Extra. I'll bet that when you do, you will be ready to fly it but you will never get rid of the foamy.

Regards,

Hankg

Post Script...Stick, is this your "Nasty"? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390003 If it is, perfect plane.
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Last edited by hankg; Apr 09, 2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: clean up spelling
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:03 PM
Stick, roger ball.
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
That's the one. Pics of mine are on pg 99...

She wasn't much to look at, but the point was to learn to fly, not look cool. On the other hand, once you can fly competently, having a beater practice plane is uber cool.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:13 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
If you want something ready to fly you may want to consider the UMX Beast 3D. With my DX6i this is a beautiful plane to get good on. Flys bigger than it is, and with the AS3X handles 10-12 mph wind fairly easily. I say this mainly because as stated above if you can fly and hot land this plane with only broken landing gear you need a plane to get good on, not a straight beginner one.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Parkzone T28. Easy peasy. Very enjoyable for newbie. Easy to setup and fly IMO
Or a FunCub
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:07 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,595 Posts
Slow is always best to learn on. I learned ailerons on this plane, it can do almost every trick, but can fly slowly. And it's TOUGH http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...m049kr1qktapn2
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I will get some cheap foamy to practice a bit for the time being, and get my extra repaired
I would swear its easier to fly a big aeroplane then a small Rc

I had a look at them foamies in the link above, i would prefer maybe something abit livelier. I can sort of handle the plane ok once airborne, but i certainly need to get my landings sorted out. Any suggestions on hobbyzone 4ch Cub?

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
xpro,

Wish I could give you the benefit of my experience with flying a highwinger like the Cub, but I've never flown one...but, I just finished this thread by NoFlyZone on cheating on landings. Thought you might find it interesting. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665597

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,914 Posts
I think it IS easier to fly a bigger plane. I wouldn't consider the PZ Extra300 a 'big' plane. I think you have to get to close to 60" wingspan for the 'stable' thing to really get noticed, and if you haven't watched the 33% stunt planes fly on rails in gusty conditions...

When I feel my landings on my warbirds are getting iffy, I pull out my trusty ol' Apprentice and just do touch-and-go's for a pack or 2. I'm not sure I buy into the little flat foamies for landing practice. And if you do go that route, be careful, as I've seen a few that are weak enough the fuselage and parts bend and twist while you're flying.

For me, if you want to learn to land, you should get something in the 60" range like the Apprentice (because I'm biased since I started with it!) or there's that Sensai that looks cool, but I don't know if you can get it without a radio. I know the Apprentice is durable.

It's good you're able to fly the Extra already, but I would think you need something more trainer-like to refine your skills. There's the old cliche, takeoffs are optional, but landings are mandatory. If you can't land your planes, you're crashing them, and that'll get old and expensive fast.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:11 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,595 Posts
If you have a place with tall grass and at least 45* of travel on your elevator , you can " land " your extra on the tall grass by shutting down the throttle and giving it full up elevator - it will kind of parachute down . Try it first from a higher altitude to a lower altitude to see it's rate of descent .
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:18 PM
Stick, roger ball.
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
^^ I wouldn't recommend that as a standard landing procedure.

The 3d guys call the manuver an elevator. You should learn it at altitude, as it is the basis for moving into the harier manuver. It's also helpful to know how your plane handles post stall in case you have a power loss when low and performing aerobatics.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:44 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
You can elevator down but need some throttle for a smooth landing at the last second, this takes some practice to get it right. I highly recommend getting a flat foamie to learn 3d, the wing loading is so light you can land them on a dime, they can fly super slow, much slower than your extra, so it gives you time to think and react, much less fear and more of a good time!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Right, im looking out there to see whats available for me to buy, tbh i don't have a lot of time to be building the foamies myself, so i kinda want to get something ready to go. I tought of hobbyzone supercub, but then i realised theres no ailerons on them, so thats no go. Apprentice is a little bit to dear plus is not available in UK.
My choice is now Parkzone Ultra Pole Cat???
What do you think? will this be simillar to my extra 300 or little bit more forgiving?

Thanks again,
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
IMO pole cat is not a beginner plane even when dialed down. See my earlier recommendations for beginner planes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Right, im looking out there to see whats available for me to buy, tbh i don't have a lot of time to be building the foamies myself, so i kinda want to get something ready to go. I tought of hobbyzone supercub, but then i realised theres no ailerons on them, so thats no go. Apprentice is a little bit to dear plus is not available in UK.
My choice is now Parkzone Ultra Pole Cat???
What do you think? will this be simillar to my extra 300 or little bit more forgiving?

Thanks again,
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01