HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:44 PM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
Careful!
Steigeisen Servo big Issue

Hi F3K fan,

A few days ago I received my brand new Steig from Stratair. Unfortunately today meanwhile I was setting the throws, the left wing servo lost his mind...

First I thought that maybe the Aurora 9 or the Optima 6 was the issue, but not, I changed it to mi Futaba and the problem till was there, I changed the batt, the channel , etc, but nothing, the servo is damaged.

This would not be so bad if I had not bought the Wing with the included Atlas Digital Servos..

A video shows more than words:

HDV 0155 (1 min 14 sec)

Did any body of you have ever had a problem like that???

I really don't know what to do, the Staig was very expensive, and Austria so far away from Chile...

Regards,

Mario Kilian
Maki is offline Find More Posts by Maki
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:03 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,087 Posts
Hi Mario,
Sorry to hear about your issue!
Have you contacted Stratair yet?
It seems that the hyperions are popping up with problems lately...
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:49 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
looks like the servo cant find its center. thats a bummer, should be able to get a new wing from stratair unfortunately its a long wait due to shipping, freaks me out i just ordered an all carbon wing with the servos moulded in! crossing my fingers the servos are good!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:51 AM
tau
Joined Aug 2006
42 Posts
..bad luck...

Mario,

seems you've ran into one servo of this batch. Unfortunate that there are still a few 'out there'.

Quote:
unfortunately its a long wait due to shipping,
It's easier to talk to strat and come to an agreement, then open up 'classical servo window(s)' on the bottom wing face and get rid of defective servo (least stress to the wing skin is to dremel carefully out old ones and replace with new, hopefully good ones) and then enjoy this great flying DLG.

Good luck and Success!

TAU
tau is offline Find More Posts by tau
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:51 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
It's just a matter of time before you have to do that anyway... I'm on my second set after almost 2 years.
Mine are in the pod.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
Well thank you.

I contact Stratair, but it's week end. Anyway the service from Stratair was outstanding, I hope it will be so after this servo issue.

..and I thought I was buying one of the best servos..

Any way, other issue is that I have paid US$ 235 for Fedex shiping and US$415 for Chilean Customs.....it's a lot of money I cant do again if I have to buy other wing...

1900 Driver, I hope you don't have the same issue.

I'll keep you updated about Stratairs answers.

regards from Chile

Mario
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:04 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
Thanks, and good luck!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:22 PM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
Well..nothing to say about costumer service from Stratair..., the answer they gived me can't be shorter...

"Hi Mario,

I saw your video. I do not know why but left servo is not OK. During production and before delivery we check function.

Best is if you change servo.

Open surface around servo on bottom side with cutter knife and replace servo. Then glue cut surface part again."

I don't have this servos in Chile, I'll try with a Hitec or JR, but unfortunatelly the wing will have two different servos...

bay the way...my next DLG will be an Apollo from Skip...

regards,

Mario
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:40 AM
dumbthumb
World's Ass - Chile
Joined Dec 2004
355 Posts
I can't believe manufacturerŽs answer... I guess he is aware about this servos malfunction. If not, he must be. He is responsible about quality of materials he uses for what he build.

What If boom will broke on first launch?
He might say "Sorry, you have to got a new one... when we tested here it didn't broke..."

I wonder how would soaringusa response to a case like this if you would had bought your Steig from them...

Best luck,
Alex
aleXtino is offline Find More Posts by aleXtino
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:18 PM
Austria
Joined Jul 2004
49 Posts
Hi to all,
we try to install good servos. We try to find out bad servos:
- we test them out of the box
- after glueing servos, before closing the mold we test them
- before delivery we test the servos

If there is a servo problem or ANY other issue we try to help customer/pilot as fast as possible. Even on weekend!

Mario has a problem with the servo. It is shi. and I hate it too but I CANNOT change it. I am not the servo producer and I CANNOT look into a servo and I CANNOT know if a servo becomes faulty or not.

Changing the servo is the correct answer. What else?
Chile - Austria is not the nearest distance and we have to solve it as soon as possible. That was the reason why I wrote Mario that instructions.
Of course the replacement servo (of course free of charge) is already on the way to Mario since today morning.

The only way to avoid such servo issue is not to install servos in wing.

IŽd like to improve our service! I am open for constructive inputs.

Best regards,
Rainer Stratberger
STRATAIR is offline Find More Posts by STRATAIR
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:39 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,146 Posts
There shouldn't be any complete trust in electronic components thus molding these servos in is a mistake. Cutting these 1000 dollar planes open is an unacceptable option for an issue that can be resolved by a simple replacement. I'll keep saying this--- A servo HATCH will help tremendously. If the bigger planes have this, why can't molded DLGs?
I've heard arguments about pieces of tape altering the performance of a plane...
Please... if you can tell the difference a piece of tape makes on a plane then I bow to your magnificence.

Sorry about your servo issue, Mario. I and a few others have posted ways on how to fix this issue. Look them up and I hope they'll be of some help.

Good luck.

Soar!
Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATAIR View Post

IŽd like to improve our service! I am open for constructive inputs.

Best regards,
Rainer Stratberger
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:59 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,587 Posts
Glad to see that Rainer (Stratair) and Tom (LE-composite, Stobel) are active on rcgroups and that they try to improve their products upon our input.
It was the customer input that got Stratair to offer the 'servos in the wing' option.
Rainer and the Steigeisen designers (Michael Wohlfahrt and Florian Seibel) are coperative and have always listened to my requests.

Sorry Mario for the bad servo, I hope you can fix it (see the various Stobel servo repairs) and enjoy flying the Steigeisen.

@Jun:

I would not want hyperions burried into my wings with their track record. But it is not only the drag, it is also the structural integrity of the wing that is increased going without a hatch. DS 285 in SalPeter work perfectly and I am unaware of failure (for info, SalPeter is more widespread in Europe than Stobel in US).

On the Steigeisen it is easy: stick with the 4 servos in the pod if you don't want to risk a hyperion going bad.
Works great for me (4x DS 285) and with proper install it is flutter free beyond 60m launches.

You can also order Stobels without installed wing servos, so you can make your own hatch and installation (top drive).

Reto
RetoF3X is online now Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RetoF3X; Oct 18, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:41 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,146 Posts
Yeah, definitely plus to have Tom and Rainer here in the groups.

But I'm not convinced about the structural integrity being compromised too much. A couple of grams of additional carbon reinforcement will nullify that issue.

Trust me, we wouldn't have these conversations if replacing and maintaining these wings were made easier or more accessible... WITH A HATCH!

I'm out!
Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X View Post
Glad to see that Rainer (Stratair) and Tom (LE-composite, Stobel) are active on rcgroups and that they try to improve their products upon our input.

it is not only the drag, it is also the structural integrity of the wing that is increased going without a hatch.

Reto
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:47 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Yeah, definitely plus to have Tom and Rainer here in the groups.

But I'm not convinced about the structural integrity being compromised too much. A couple of grams of additional carbon reinforcement will nullify that issue.

Trust me, we wouldn't have these conversations if replacing and maintaining these wings were made easier or more accessible... WITH A HATCH!

I'm out!
Jun
+1.............I agree...very poor engineering if there is not easy access to a servo. Sort of like having to remove an engine to replace a set of spark plugs....

-Dave....owner of two Stobels....
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:07 PM
Joined May 2010
326 Posts
Hi Mario,

As a steig owner with 4 servos in the pod it is a grate plane to fly and it saved my as.... in the high wind 2011 german open.

For our good weather conditions i have ordered the new D-box lighter version with the servos in the wing.
I hope mine arrives with a working ones.
And if not i will not hold Stratair responsible for a SCD09 bad servo, it will make me upset that i'll need to cut the new and shiny wing open, but sooner or later with a competitive glider the beauty clear wing is something that is gone in couple of months,
I know that it's not much but things happens as we calls them force major.

I'd like to point that Reiner has an excellent service and you can also talked to him directly on the phone to get help and advice on how to approach this issue

I am crossing fingers on my New Steig to arrive safe and sound.
Beetle-Jet is offline Find More Posts by Beetle-Jet