SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:42 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
Discussion
Inexpensive 3D Heli

I am looking at buying for first collective pitch heli. I am looking at the bnf blade 450 but is a little expensive for me right now. I am a plane guy myself but have recently purchased the blade mcx and then the blade sr 120 and have mastered flying it. I want one that is fully 3d capable so I do not have to purchase another heli later on. I would like one that is bnf capable, brushless, and the tail belt driven. What electric helis does everyone recommend? By the way I would like it to be atleast $250 or under.
themadhatter196 is offline Find More Posts by themadhatter196
Last edited by themadhatter196; Jul 28, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:11 AM
Aircrafting is noisey...what?!
charlieoneseven's Avatar
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Dec 2005
585 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453298
charlieoneseven is offline Find More Posts by charlieoneseven
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:52 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
great find!, although I know very little about setting up a heli, I would also need to buy a dsmx capable receiver. Would this option be my best bet?
themadhatter196 is offline Find More Posts by themadhatter196
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:12 AM
team sleprock
whiskykid's Avatar
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,375 Posts
mornin hatter!

the question isn't that you do know how ta set-up a heli but when!

a fully capable 3D machine, is a complicated peice of machinery!

"just a nickles worth of free advice" and not only should you completely go over a new heli!(RTF specialy)(cuase RTF is never RTF) you will be rebuilding it in no time at all!

as recomended many times, you should build your first CP heli, so you know how ta repair it!

if you want a BnF under $250, then you should concider the mCPx!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:37 AM
Registered User
Steve Joblin's Avatar
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
912 Posts
Here is my recommendation: http://www.clubheli.com/Helios-Helicopters_c_105.html

They have a high quality 100% T-Rex clone compatible heli for $250 (including transmitter and receiver) or a "super deluxe" package with tools and such for $350.
Steve Joblin is online now Find More Posts by Steve Joblin
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:31 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
I wouldnt need the rx or tx and would have to buy a spektrum rx which would put me over 300 is there any high quality receiver ready models? Right now I am leaning towards the blade 450 as it is just at 300
themadhatter196 is offline Find More Posts by themadhatter196
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:45 PM
Registered User
Steve Joblin's Avatar
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
912 Posts
what about the 450SE-V2... it is only $90
Steve Joblin is online now Find More Posts by Steve Joblin
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:52 AM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadhatter196 View Post
I wouldnt need the rx or tx and would have to buy a spektrum rx which would put me over 300 is there any high quality receiver ready models? Right now I am leaning towards the blade 450 as it is just at 300
Depends on what you mean by high quality. If you're calling the blade 450 high quality then I'd have to disagree myself.

Look at the classifieds or build threads, some of the high quality 450 builds cost over $1000.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:54 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
875 Posts
For the money you have for said heli. I think your choice is best in the blade 450. Much better than the e-bay crap rtf or pnp. The blade 450 is well made and reapirs will be basic. Anything under that $250 mark you noted will just be ---Nothing that will make you happy long term-
jenn123 is offline Find More Posts by jenn123
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:36 PM
Registered User
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn123 View Post
For the money you have for said heli. I think your choice is best in the blade 450. Much better than the e-bay crap rtf or pnp. The blade 450 is well made and reapirs will be basic. Anything under that $250 mark you noted will just be ---Nothing that will make you happy long term-
Jenn makes good sense here. While the Blade 450 might not be considered by some as "high quality", one thing that you can pretty much guarantee is parts availability. The first time you crash and have to wait a week for parts, you're going to regret it.
There's nothing like getting your first hover immediately followed by your first blade strike! It's like crack - you're going to want that hover feeling again long before your "fix" arrives in the mail. I've had my Blade 400 almost 2 years now & I've had plenty of crashes & plenty of fixes. There hasn't been a single part I've needed that I couldn't find at my LHS. I'm just now about ready to sell it along with some of my other stuff to build my first T-Rex 550 from the ground up. I'm excited!
Amichai is offline Find More Posts by Amichai
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 04:46 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
Depends on what you mean by high quality. If you're calling the blade 450 high quality then I'd have to disagree myself.

Look at the classifieds or build threads, some of the high quality 450 builds cost over $1000.
have you actually flown/owned a blade 450? Why would you say it is not high quality? Can you please explain the basis for your opinion, most of my eflite stuff is pretty nice.

What do you get for a $1000 450 build? Does it fly itself? What makes it worth $1000? I try to use good quality stuff but I have a old plastic HK450 with metal head/tail still flying after 2 years using HXT900 servos and a plush ESC. Even still has original bearings and has hundreds of flights, it was ~$180 when I did the 1st build, could build the same heli for $120...

Don't get me wrong, I do think there are advantages to getting high quality parts, but unless you are a super serious professional pilot a $1000 450 is silly
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:21 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
I own or have owned about 6 eflite helis. I don't own a 400 or 450 based mainly on my experience with their other helis. I have flown a 400 though and can understand why most people upgrade the shoddy electronics on them.

Eflite helis are good for what they are designed for, entry level helis. I would not classify them as "high quality" though. Their electronics tend to be bad and need replacing. Beyond the fact that they are easily available at local hobby stores there is nothing else, IMO to recommend them.

My Trex 450 SE V2 built from kit w/ the stock motor and esc but with hitec servos and futaba gyro cost over $600. My Furion 450 was $400 just for the kit. Add the electronics including fbl, skorpion motor, CC esc and hitec digital servos and I'm at $1000.

The cost is based on everyone's own priorities. My question then would have to be have you ever owned a high end heli like the furion or MSH mini protoss or CYB rave 450... etc.

The precision, build quality... etc. have to experienced to be believed. I don't compete or do extreme 3D but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the quality of these machines.

In the end, I just want people to have perspective and to realize that eflite and align are not the be all and end all of what's available.

I'm not trying to be snobbish but having tried most of the lower and mid tier helis like walkera, esky (low) and eflite, align (mid) that there are other options out there.

The comparison has been made often that align/eflite are like a chevy compared to lexus/infiniti/bmw... that doesn't mean the chevy doesn't run and can't last you for many good years but there is a significant qualitative difference from the others.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:02 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
I own or have owned about 6 eflite helis. I don't own a 400 or 450 based mainly on my experience with their other helis. I have flown a 400 though and can understand why most people upgrade the shoddy electronics on them.
You should be completely clear, it is not obvious that you have not specifically owned a Blade 450, or even a 400 for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
Eflite helis are good for what they are designed for, entry level helis. I would not classify them as "high quality" though. Their electronics tend to be bad and need replacing. Beyond the fact that they are easily available at local hobby stores there is nothing else, IMO to recommend them.
I guess people say that, what eflite helis have you owned and what parts did you replace on your eflite helis? the OP is a entry level pilot, why would you discourage him/her from getting a entry level heli? Parts availability is critical for a noob pilot to keep in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
My Trex 450 SE V2 built from kit w/ the stock motor and esc but with hitec servos and futaba gyro cost over $600. My Furion 450 was $400 just for the kit. Add the electronics including fbl, skorpion motor, CC esc and hitec digital servos and I'm at $1000.
I actually think the Furion 450 looks a little hodge podge, it must fly really good. Like to test one next to my 450Pro which I think looks HOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
The cost is based on everyone's own priorities. My question then would have to be have you ever owned a high end heli like the furion or MSH mini protoss or CYB rave 450... etc.

The precision, build quality... etc. have to experienced to be believed. I don't compete or do extreme 3D but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the quality of these machines.
I guess I have to say no, I have a TREX250 and a TREX500, both are solid and flew out the box. As I understand from your point of view, these are not high quality machines Oh well, I really enjoy flying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
In the end, I just want people to have perspective and to realize that eflite and align are not the be all and end all of what's available.
I don't think you are helpful at all in this case, do you really feel the OP needs a $1000 450 to learn to fly on? I think that is VERY bad advice. then you speak facts that you derive from other sources without qualifying that you never owned the heli you are complaining about. I don't feel comfortable with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
I'm not trying to be snobbish but having tried most of the lower and mid tier helis like walkera, esky (low) and eflite, align (mid) that there are other options out there.
for a $1000 If you are not trying to be snobbish, then don't be. The eflite 450 is a fine 1st heli. Once you learn to fly, spend a $1000 on a Furion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
The comparison has been made often that align/eflite are like a chevy compared to lexus/infiniti/bmw... that doesn't mean the chevy doesn't run and can't last you for many good years but there is a significant qualitative difference from the others.
I recommend you buy your kid a Chevy/Ford/Chrysler for a 1st car, let them get a BMW after they learn how to care for and pay for a car.

I don't mean to argue with you, but I find this advice particularly bad. I completely disagree with your proposition and to be honest, some of your own words indicate you kind of disagree yourself. Always put your response in the context of the OP, he is looking for a entry level heli, the Blade 450 is just that.

OMG, I have been flying mid grade helis and I LOVE THEM you haven't even made the case for me to spend $1000 on a 450, when I blow my $1000, it will be on my TREX600

Anyway, sorry for complaining, I know you are trying to help and who knows, maybe the OP will spend a cool grand for a nice 450
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:14 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
whether you agree with me or not really makes no difference to me but... I never actually gave any advice so I'm not sure how I could have given bad advice? I merely made a statement that eflite was not "high quality" you apparently read something into that which I had not written.

I suggest you go back and actually read whata was written and not what you wanted to see. Just because I say that eflite is not high quality and if you disagree that's fine.... at no point had I ever actually given advice to buy a $1000 heli.

As for the comments I've written, please point out where I contradict myself??

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course but having owned over 25 different types of helicopters from many many different manufacturers from 100 to 600 in size including multiple eflite and align models , I stand by my statements. The fact that I've never owned the blade 450 after having owned multiple eflite models and having tried the blade 400... well that's decision I've made based on my own experience.

I don't have to try all the chevy's to know that lexus quality is going to be better regardless of the model....

I also find it funny that you say you don't mean to argue with me.... yet that's all you seem to have done based on your own interpretation of what I haven't even written...

Any way, I don't want to get in the way of the good advice everyone else is giving so I'll bow out. One comment I will make though is that a used thunder tiger e325 can usually be found for under $300, get a used dx6i and receiver and you're close to the cost of a new blade 450. Even with all my other helis, I still find the e325 one of the easiest to work on and most stable 450's I've owned.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Last edited by Druss; Aug 08, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:31 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
Depends on what you mean by high quality. If you're calling the blade 450 high quality then I'd have to disagree myself.

Look at the classifieds or build threads, some of the high quality 450 builds cost over $1000.
OK, I guess I stand corrected but this sounds like some kind of very vague advice. Then you say in your next post that eflite makes good entry level helis.....what are you saying? Is the Blade 450 a good entry level heli that can carry a pilot into advanced flying or not? That is what the OP is asking? Or does he need a $1000 heli to learn how to fly?

OK, I guess I do mean to argue with you, cause I thought you were giving bad advice, but like you say, you are not giving advice.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Can I put a 4ch radio in a 6ch 3D heli? romian 3D Electric Heli Flying 4 Aug 02, 2011 04:06 AM
Idea My Blade 450 3D (BnF) heli for your...??? C_Watkins Atlanta Area RC 13 Jul 22, 2011 06:36 AM
Sold Walkera 4G6S 3D micro heli deal with extras RTF nitrodude71 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 7 Jul 09, 2011 05:57 PM
Question best 250 heli for "first time" real world 3d training heli's angels 3D Electric Heli Flying 18 Jul 08, 2011 07:37 PM
Wanted looking for an inexpensive 2 ch heli and an inexpensive heli 4 - 8 ch newbieflyer12724 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Sep 28, 2006 07:53 PM