HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:43 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
I did mine stock. Cut foam out of the nose to move battery forward. You want 70mm to be your starting point for CG. It's way nose heavy if you do it with the stock CG. Take the weight out and make it balance without it. On 1300s it's just not gonna have enough power for any additional dead weight.
Maybe even go with a 2100 or 2200.
I did my maiden with a 2200 30C and had no issues with no weight added and CG at 70mm.
(You'll eventually want the CG even farther back than 70. But 70 is a safe start point.)
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:48 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paxton View Post
I did mine stock. Cut foam out of the nose to move battery forward. You want 70mm to be your starting point for CG. It's way nose heavy if you do it with the stock CG. Take the weight out and make it balance without it. On 1300s it's just not gonna have enough power for any additional dead weight.
Maybe even go with a 2100 or 2200.
I did my maiden with a 2200 30C and had no issues with no weight added and CG at 70mm.
(You'll eventually want the CG even farther back than 70. But 70 is a safe start point.)
okay. I have some 2200mah bats waiting in the wings.
I'll try it.
What can I expect for flight times with 2200mah bats?
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:50 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
The stock setup pulls anywhere from 22-29 amps. So I'd keep first flight to 4.5 mins depending on how good the battery is and how much you fly full throttle.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:31 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,840 Posts
20 degrees may be a bit much. Go shallower. Barely any angle at all.
Good luck.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:46 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
982 Posts
Throw it level or just a tic up and it will settle on its own. Don't go much smaller than a 1800 batt. The cg per the manual is too far back as mentioned in the above post. I have cut a third finger hole behind the stock ones, thumb and middle finger in the front and index finger in the rear hole, yes we're still talking about the Stinger, try to focus,lol. The index finger really "pushes" this little jet to speed it up. I don't use it anymore but it really helped to get a good launch. Now I just "football" throw it from behind the wings. And it needs to be launched into the wind. Also with a 1800mah, just snug it up to the front foam ledge, no weight needed.
These tips helped me to have a lot of fun with this little jet. I have 2 of them, both stock, but looking to upgrade one of them. For the money they are lots of fun.

Good luck.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:56 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
i started putting my Stinger together today. the decals started flaking off faster than i could build !
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:54 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Boy, I've had a hell of time getting this bird to fly.
The Stinger is my 3rd EDF, UMX Mig15 and BH F86 Sabre being my first two.
I never had a problem launching either of the previous 2 but the Stinger, I feel I need to chuck it hard like a baseball to get any velocity to keep her up.
I have her completely stock with a 1300mah 3s bat.
I put about 28 grams of ballast in the nose (stuck them onto the front landing gear hatch) to get her balanced at the 65mm mark.
My first launch was an underhand toss that didn't have enough thrust or umph behind it. Broke the nose. Second launch was full throttle but still didn't seem to have enough umph in the toss.
Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'm going to try chucking it really hard at 20 degrees, full throttle and see what happens.
or should I do it differently?
Suggestions welcome.
Thanks
-Patrick
It's all for naught... after closer inspection I see that one of the fan blades has been chipped off. Probably not a good idea to try a flight.
Any suggestions for a "close to stock" 64mm fan unit?
I'm not really looking to hop it up.
I'm just looking for a decent first flight.
-Patrick
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:10 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
It's all for naught... after closer inspection I see that one of the fan blades has been chipped off. Probably not a good idea to try a flight.
Any suggestions for a "close to stock" 64mm fan unit?
I'm not really looking to hop it up.
I'm just looking for a decent first flight.
-Patrick
I too have bought the stock edf unit minus the motor. Check hobbylobby, under the stinger you can get the stock unit for around $12 last time I checked. Here's the link:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/stinger_6...36475_prd1.htm
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:56 AM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Feb 2009
4 Posts
I have flown my stinger 64 in the stock mode and it flew ok ,then I changed the factory esc for a 50a esc and used Turbojet 4s 2500 mah packs with stock motor and have flown it for a awhile successfully as a sport flyer and it zips around quite nice and solid,no overheating problems at all.And now I pulled the stinger's factory 5 blade 64mm edf unit out looking to upgrade it and get some speed out of it.I got a Haoye 7 blade 64mm rotor that fits nicely into the original edf unit,so I think I give it a try with a HK2836 edf Outrunner 3500kv that I just ordered from HK, and go with a hobbywing funfly 80a esc and see what it can do.I would like to try a 5s pack with this set up. but it might require a little shaving to the compartment fit the pack but possible.Has anyone tried a 5s setup in a stinger before?Any Feed back on this would quite appreciated..
LEGEND 60 is offline Find More Posts by LEGEND 60
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:36 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
I tried to cut down a 10 blade Changesun to no avail. Broke a blade off while I was sanding on it. Doesn't bode well for it's strength.
I've got several systems set up but I'm going to be using a JGF 400DH on stock fan with a Kontronik Jazz 40. (I'll have 3 times more $$$ in the power system than the jet costs... But I have them lying around) LOL
But I can run 3S and get just above stock power. And then 4S to add another 150 watts or so.
And weight increase is less than 5 grams 3S and 40 grams with 4S 2200.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:38 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
Throw it level or just a tic up and it will settle on its own. Don't go much smaller than a 1800 batt. The cg per the manual is too far back as mentioned in the above post. I have cut a third finger hole behind the stock ones, thumb and middle finger in the front and index finger in the rear hole, yes we're still talking about the Stinger, try to focus,lol. The index finger really "pushes" this little jet to speed it up. I don't use it anymore but it really helped to get a good launch. Now I just "football" throw it from behind the wings. And it needs to be launched into the wind. Also with a 1800mah, just snug it up to the front foam ledge, no weight needed.
These tips helped me to have a lot of fun with this little jet. I have 2 of them, both stock, but looking to upgrade one of them. For the money they are lots of fun.

Good luck.
Saying the CG is "Too far back" is confusing. Actually it needs to move back to fly level and not be nose heavy I believe.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:01 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
I use krylon fusion. After removing decals, you already have a white base to work with. I clean with rubbing alcohol, and mask off 2 stripes on the wings and spray paint. Have done this with a few edf's and works good. Good visibilty.

As for the cg, push the 1800 pack against the foam ledge towards the nose, it's that simple. The cg will be near the REAR of the finger holes. Plus, you still have 10mm fore or aft, it doesn't have to be perfect. The CG as listed in the maual is a little too foreward. Full throttle into the wind and it will fly. Get some altitude and trim. Mine needed 2 clicks of up.

And you're rates sound good but perhaps elevator on low rates should also be 50%. Add a little expo too, like 35%, to soften things up. You can launch on low rates with no problems. After around 45 flights, I still have my ailerons set at 50% travel. At 100%, the roll rate borders on violent. It looks funny to, not very scale. You start to wonder how the lipo doesn't fly out of the fuse when rolling.

Here's a couple of photos with some different mods too.

Good luck and let us know how the maiden goes.

You are correct to correct me, sorry.

I posted incorrectly, it would be the other way around. The cg is too far FORWARD as per the manual. I found one of my previous posts to help clarify. Thanks for the catch.
The photos are on page 141. The finger hole really helped me launch.

Cheers
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:29 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a new Stinger and also purchased a Wicked 4000+ EDF/ESC setup from the Don.

My meager EDF experience has shown me that stock edf power systems are cheap, nasty, unbalanced and unreliable, i'm not overly confident in standard gear hence purchasing one of Don's setups.

When the plane arrives I will be maidening it using Nano-tech 3S 2200mah 25c-50c lipos which i have a large selection of from my Extra300, (I'll get 4S Nano-techs after I am used to the plane).

So my question is this:

The Wicked 4000+ setup with 60A ESC will be heavier than the stock setup but on 3S also makes approx 50-75watts more power than stock, so should I do the 3S maiden on Don's weightier setup or on the Stock setup?

What setup will give the best power/weight ratio, and more importantly what setup will give the best COG using these 3S 2200mah Nano-tech's. I would like to avoid excessive foam removal to gain 72mm COG if possible.

And do i balance the Stinger upright or inverted at 72mm?

If anyone has tried a similar battery on both stock and wicked setups, any tips are appreciated.

Thanks ;-)
orbit_01 is offline Find More Posts by orbit_01
Last edited by orbit_01; Feb 02, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:16 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
orbit_01

i was just looking at the 4000kv upgrade !! you could put the stock setup in there, until you get used to flying it. easy to switch out the fan & esc later.

which fan unit did you get with the 4000kv ?

as for balancing CG....i always do my planes inverted, just from habit
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Last edited by KCinNC; Feb 02, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:26 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
balancing low wing planes inverted is the best way to do it. mid to high wing can be done upright.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7