SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:48 AM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Watchin one of these things burst into flames whilst in the air would be awesome, so long as it wasn't mine :P
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:41 AM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
Watchin one of these things burst into flames whilst in the air would be awesome, so long as it wasn't mine :P
It would be awesome! This plane owes me nothing! It has been great! I have flown it so many times in all weather conditions that I have lost count!
If it did go up in flames I would buy another one in a heartbeat!
It would be an appropriate retirement for this old war torn machine!
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Jun 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:06 PM
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Mar 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
But....with the summer temps.....Wow... these batteries can get hot!
I am just waiting for a LiPO to fizzle and erupt into flames and send my Mossie down on fire. I hope I have the camera rolling if that happens!
Perhaps I should finally join AMA and get that insurance...a speeding, out of control fireball is not something I have ever considered
tripleup05 is offline Find More Posts by tripleup05
Old Jul 01, 2011, 06:03 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleup05 View Post
Perhaps I should finally join AMA and get that insurance...a speeding, out of control fireball is not something I have ever considered
I consider it to be awesome!

Finally broke a gun today in what could be described as a "precision single point landing" :P (I was too concerned with my flap angle than actually landing the plane- tip stalled from 5ft up) snapped one of the guns and managed to get one break one of the magnets from the battery hatch.

No big deal, i couldn't find the gun but found the magnet, so have glued that back on - being sure to check the polarity!

The under cambered wing really sucks at low level turbulance. I was flying in 8mph winds - nothing major - and on low passes she really wobbles - much more than my mates P51 that was flying alongside, anyone else get this?
Old Jul 01, 2011, 07:51 AM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
I consider it to be awesome!

Finally broke a gun today in what could be described as a "precision single point landing" :P (I was too concerned with my flap angle than actually landing the plane- tip stalled from 5ft up) snapped one of the guns and managed to get one break one of the magnets

The under cambered wing really sucks at low level turbulance. I was flying in 8mph winds - nothing major - and on low passes she really wobbles - much more than my mates P51 that was flying alongside, anyone else get this?
Yes.....you really notice it at lower altitude because there is no room for recovery! And the slower the approach with the Mossie in wind ...all it does is amplify that tendency to drop a wing tip...and then the landing is not so pretty! I sometimes trim out the Mossie differently when I know I am going to be flying in wind.....move the CG forward and adjust elevator down and set the throttle trim up so that I am already at higher rpms at any given position of the stick.
I get spoiled switching back to the UM T-28. I can side slip and crab that thing into a perfect landing in a cross wind. The Mossie is an interesting "hand full" and you have to land it hot.....at those critical moments (during low passes and landing) it sometimes makes me over-correct with the controls(which is usually not good)... But with hands off, it won't correct itself either......so you really got to fly it in! I like it because it is a little more challenging
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Jul 01, 2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:58 AM
Joined Mar 2008
507 Posts
What sort of adhesive do yall recommend for securing the new nacelles to the wing? I have some foam save CA here at the house for field repairs, but I know some people don't like CA due to how brittle it is. Other suggestions? Or is CA fine?
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:51 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleup05 View Post
What sort of adhesive do yall recommend for securing the new nacelles to the wing? I have some foam save CA here at the house for field repairs, but I know some people don't like CA due to how brittle it is. Other suggestions? Or is CA fine?
Gorilla Glue works great on foam, and is a little flexible when cured. Dampen one piece of work with water, put a thin layer of GG on the other, and join. The water will make the GG foam up, so be careful not to use too much glue.

Best to test on something worthless first, so you can get a feel for the right mix & amount.

Great stuff, though. I've used it to fix my Radian Pro with perfect results.
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:36 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,892 Posts
I use UHU POR. Add a bit to the wing, press the nacelle into place, lift off and let the adhesive dry for about 5 to 10 minutes and press the nacelle back on. It will never come loose but can be removed the next time something needs service. I learned about this adhesive while living in Germany. My LHS has never heard of UHU so I order from Hobby Lobby.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:27 AM
Joined Mar 2008
507 Posts
Thanks for the advice fellas. I ended up going with Gorilla Glue because I had some on hand, but I am going to look into the UHU product. This isn't the first thread where I have seen it mentioned before. I know I saw some sort of UHU at Michael's the other day, but I'm not sure if it was POR or not.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:37 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
UHU is wonderful stuff It fixes pretty much everything, and has great flexibility.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:39 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
UHU clone glue:
http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...id=146:foamtac
Made in the U.S.A.
Excellent shipping rates.

This is what RCFOAM says about it:

"If you like UHU Creativ or UHU POR, you'll love this glue! It was formulated to match and you get almost twice as much for nearly half the price.

We worked with Beacon's to develop this foam just for RC Foamie use. You'll love it!"

Has a fast enough cure time to easily be used for field repairs.
I'm been using it for about a year now.
Wish I had never put a drop of ca on my UM planes.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Has a fast enough cure time to easily be used for field repairs.
I'm been using it for about a year now.
Wish I had never put a drop of ca on my UM planes.

rc
Sounds great, I normally do repairs with CA at the field. Will have to try get some over here in the UK
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:20 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
After a long search, I ended up getting beacon fabri-tac since I can get it locally. I started with UHU "all purpose twist & glue" worse product ever for foam HOURS to cure and snaps in half with minimal pressure. Anyone willing to compare fabri-tac against foam-tac would be great!. I don't mind paying for the good stuff; but, if I can't get it locally, I would need to justify that the good stuff can beat what I can get locally.

Based on the link provided, I think foam-tac is more flexy once cured vs fabri-tac. I am not a builder so I don't have experience. But the facri-tac is flexy but not "floppy" like the video.

I sheared both sides of the wings off on my corsair during maiden (2 cart wheels in 30 secs total LOL). The fabri-tac reglue held after 3 cartwheels on the remaiden and about 5 dumb thumbs and nose ins while trimming it out. I honestly think my wing is stronger after the reglue compare to new unbroken wing.

Again if some one has both would compare it would be great!

Thanks
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Last edited by jseeker101; Jul 04, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:58 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Ok, I know this is not a corsair thread, but we are on the subject of glue; I just got back from flying the corsair and of course, developed a new crack on the wing. The original crack held well. I again used my fabri-tac to reglue. It does eat foam!! I wasn't able to tell with my previous fix that fabric-tac eats a little foam I think because I had OLD glue covering the surface. The new crack is all foam. I am sure the fabric-tac will hold well... but I don't have much wing for it to eat with these UM planes.

I may answer the question my self. Will be getting foam-tac...

I am sure I am the last to know LOL
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:43 PM
Super Man's cousin! No cape!
Australia, New South Wales, Wangi Wangi
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
My Mosquito is going back to HH. I had a gutful of reciever lock outs, losing bind in-flight and most of all, I only flew it 6 times!!!! If they don't replace it, I am going to the Consumer Services Board and taking action. HH has always stuffed me around, one way or another. My little T-28's reciever shorted when I flew it for the first time. What did they do? You flew it, you replace it! In the end they replaced it, but with my luck, they won't do a thing.
Ultra_Spitfire is offline Find More Posts by Ultra_Spitfire