HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2010, 04:19 AM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
The first post is now updated with the full write up. Many thanks for your interests. It's a fun project.

Next project. UAV Ar.Drone with return to Launch capability ....

Enjoy, and keep it safe....
Mheeli is offline Find More Posts by Mheeli
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 04:46 AM
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
Hi Mheeli!

Thanks for sharing your work, and congratulation, very simple and should be very efficient.

I'm thinking about a similar project with:
- anticolision system using 5 (Front Left, FR, RL, RR, Top) ultrasonic sensor to add some limits to the signal
- same idea of GPS and UAV

I'm a beginner in drone & robotics.
Will yellowjack be enough to add GPS and 5 analogic input? Will CPU manage additionnal fonctions?

Thanks

RolluS
RolluS is offline Find More Posts by RolluS
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:31 AM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolluS View Post
Hi Mheeli!

Thanks for sharing your work, and congratulation, very simple and should be very efficient.

I'm thinking about a similar project with:
- anticolision system using 5 (Front Left, FR, RL, RR, Top) ultrasonic sensor to add some limits to the signal
- same idea of GPS and UAV

I'm a beginner in drone & robotics.
Will yellowjack be enough to add GPS and 5 analogic input? Will CPU manage additionnal fonctions?

Thanks

RolluS
GPS should be possible as the update rate is only 1-4Hz. But 5 Ultrasound sensors might be pushing it. Alternatively, we can always add another Arduino mini and talk to the YJ via serial.

It cost less than $20 and very light

I was thinking the same line as yours, but only for the top ultrasound. This is to keep the drone from hitting the ceiling.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:05 AM
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
Hi!

Thanks for your answear

The top sensor would be to prevent hitting the ceiling yeah
Something funny would to integrate ultrasonic sensors in the indoor shell, and gps in the outdoor hull...

Have you took a look to the firmware of the drone? Is it possible to modify rates, motor speed?

Another project is to make the drone full variable pitch or direct drive.
Variable pitch needs 2 ways for motor speeds (yaw) and 4 ways for pitch & roll
Direct drive needs probably some fine tuning of motor speeds.
Both would be more efficient (more autonomy and less sound). Variable pitch may let it do some aerobatics depends of internals gyros, I don't know if they sucks or not, because it's cheap...)

++

RolluS
RolluS is offline Find More Posts by RolluS
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:06 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,529 Posts
Success so far. Everything is as it should be up to step 8. I had to reverse the airleron, elevator and rudder channels in my tx. Now at step 8, I run cmd and get the dos looking window. I type in telnet 192.168.1.1 and get nothing. It doesn't recognize this command. What am I doing wrong?

Brian.

BTW, I did unpar and connected the wi-fi before running cmd. Also, when I first had a look in the monitor window, I had the "move stick to middle" line. I had it either way the gear switch was. I then adjusted the travel throw for the gear channel. Default for my JR9303 is -100% to +100%. I had to change it to -138% to +138% to get the "1 grounded" line.

Another thing I noticed was the dead zone on the throttle, when in the middle. When I was in the monitor window, you could move the throttle up/down a bit before it moves from 0.0, no need for a flatter throttle curve. Nice feature Mheeli, good catch.
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Last edited by Buffythesaint; Nov 25, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:52 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
Success so far. Everything is as it should be up to step 8. I had to reverse the airleron, elevator and rudder channels in my tx. Now at step 8, I run cmd and get the dos looking window. I type in telnet 192.168.1.1 and get nothing. It doesn't recognize this command. What am I doing wrong?

Brian.
Which windows version are you running?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:56 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mheeli View Post
Which windows version are you running?
Windows 7 home premium
Old Nov 25, 2010, 04:09 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Windows 7 home premium
Looks like MS removed the telnet client. I'm still on XP.

I will look around Internet to see any free Telnet client available.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 04:14 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Please follow the below link to install Telnet client on your Windows 7. It's available, just not installed by default.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/4230/...telnet-client/
Old Nov 25, 2010, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Please follow the below link to install Telnet client on your Windows 7. It's available, just not installed by default.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/4230/...telnet-client/
I have it installed. Time to make supper for the kids. I'll try later. Does my firewall need to be turned off?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 04:34 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
I have it installed. Time to make supper for the kids. I'll try later. Does my firewall need to be turned off?
You mean, you already had it installed before? What was the error when you typed in the telnet 192.168.1.1 command?

What output do you get with the ping command?

ping 192.168.1.1

And yes, might be a good idea to turn off Windows 7 firewall temporary.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:09 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,529 Posts
Quote:
You mean, you already had it installed before? What was the error when you typed in the telnet 192.168.1.1 command?

What output do you get with the ping command?

ping 192.168.1.1

And yes, might be a good idea to turn off Windows 7 firewall temporary.
Telnet was already on my PC, just needed to enable it. Step 8 is now complete. Everything went as planned. Now step 9. All I need to do is load the file, edit and flash just that file? My wifi calls my drone ardrone_048218 . Is this what I put in place of the red word "drone"?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:42 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,529 Posts
I tried ardrone_048218, ardrone, without the " " and it didn't recognize it. I must of missed something.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:18 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,529 Posts
It Flies!!!!!!!. It had to be "ardrone_048218". Remember to use the " ". I was able to bring it up in a hover. Go up/down, left/right and fore/aft and land. It is very sensitive. I'll be trying lower rates and expo. I'll also flatten out the throttle curve. It doesn't take much off centre to climb. I need the sticks less sensitive. If all goes well, I'll post some indoor flight video this Friday. This is exciting!!. Thanks Mheeli for all your hard work, much appreciated.

Cheers, Brian.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:09 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,529 Posts
Mheeli.

Can I use my flightrecord app to record my flight and use my rc tx at the same time?