HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.48%
DW SKUA 28 4.81%
DW 38" kit 173 29.73%
DW 48" kit 154 26.46%
DW 55" kit 70 12.03%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.55%
Never owned one 208 35.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 582. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:08 AM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Go with the Juka if low and slow is your game It is still very precise when you throttle up too I love mine so much I have two with another all 9mm coming as soon as I clean off my workbench.
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:16 AM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
SpartanExec: the Juka? Yes, I concur sir! But, Slow and Low, I'd consider a bigger motor if you get the 40".

The 38" Juka is a very nice kit also that match that motor perfectly.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:17 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_N_Slow View Post
Thanks for that. I have not tried calling, but I will if I don't hear back in a few more days. I am really interested in hearing you guys' opinions on the perfect DW match for my gear.

BTW - I'm really liking the 9mm 40" Yak 55. Just not sure if I have enough motor???
Mike is extremely good at getting back, i sent him an email but it didnt go through but a quick reminder had him right on it, he sent me an invoice for a great setup, im now just waiting on saving the money to be able to purchase it, very excited about the setup
keithy351 is offline Find More Posts by keithy351
Old Oct 06, 2011, 04:07 PM
The Yak Daddy
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Sep 2008
143 Posts
All good info. Mike just e-mailed to let me know that he was @ the TAS and would get back to me with his recommendation(s) when he returns. Thanks to whoever alerted him

So...I noticed that the DW website indicates the same motor requirements for both the 6mm 38" planes and the 9mm 40" planes. Both sizes show 150w - 200w motors with the same battery recommendations.

Anyone on here fly a 38" 6mm Juka and a 40" 9mm Juka on the same set-up?
Low_N_Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low_N_Slow
Old Oct 06, 2011, 04:10 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStarArmy View Post
Ok, will stay tuned for a few more opinions before I choose a motor.
Flop has sage advice, careful with "Published" specs. They rarely tell the real story. I bench test everything and find this is the only way to really know what is and will be going on.

If you want bang for the buck it is hard to beat the BP2217-8 from BP Hobbies at $25, This motor pulls a solid 52 ounces thrust on 3 cell with a 10x4.7 prop. If this doesn't fully satisfy, the SonicElectric 2820-1050 (Which is actually a 2220 size) pulls a solid 57 ounces thrust on the same prop but out accellerates the BP about 2 to 1 (accelleration is important for uber 3D!). It will also run a good 500 RPM higher. It's $35 and the only motors I have found that come close to this performance are at least $20 more. The SonicElectric does have some quality issues but these can be resolved.

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm currently in Italy with Medievil access to the internet.

Enjoy!
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:49 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_N_Slow View Post
All good info. Mike just e-mailed to let me know that he was @ the TAS and would get back to me with his recommendation(s) when he returns. Thanks to whoever alerted him

So...I noticed that the DW website indicates the same motor requirements for both the 6mm 38" planes and the 9mm 40" planes. Both sizes show 150w - 200w motors with the same battery recommendations.

Anyone on here fly a 38" 6mm Juka and a 40" 9mm Juka on the same set-up?
Yup I do, used exactly the same setup on a 38" yak and a 40" 300.

Worked for me but your miallage may vary.

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:11 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
I don't think you'll be happy with that one, not enough power. It's only 52 grams.

I would be looking for something from 65-90 grams. The Dynamo is 72 grams.

This one I've used on a 10x6 and is pretty good but out of stock.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5112

There's always another Dynamo.

Hey Flop, since I told Mike Morgan I'm getting one, he emailed me the vimeo of Gabe flying your 40" Juka...dude, that's sick!!

Can I ask ya a few q's on your 40" Juka?

1st, what batts you using (I assume either 1000 or 1300mah)? What power system?

I saw saw the landing gear on... doesn't that add weight and move the cg fwd? Dampen performance any?

The color scheme...decals or paint (nice, btw)?

Lastly...I've been huckin my 48" Juka around for about a doz packs now & really love it. I'm a heli guy and it reminds me of a fixed-wing heli (??). She has the Dynamo combo & the LG on, and a Sky lipo 2200mah.

Do you have one? I was wondering how the two models compared.

thx bro

Jeff
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:33 AM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
I fly my 40" Juka on a 1350mah 3S battery and it balances just in front of the spar. For a more rearward CG I either switch to a lighter battery or move it back with new holes I cut for the velcro.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:01 AM
The Yak Daddy
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Sep 2008
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
Yup I do, used exactly the same setup on a 38" yak and a 40" 300.

Worked for me but your miallage may vary.

Mike R
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. What is your set-up (motor, esc, battery, etc)? What is your take on the similarities and/or differences between the two planes?

-Jeff
Low_N_Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low_N_Slow
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:35 AM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Jeff, I'm using 1000mah packs in mine, 1350s work great also. The landing gear adds about 20 grams or so but it's worth it. Looks good, better for orientation and you can takeoff and land like a proper model.

The paint is Sharpy paint pens. I had a 48" Juka long time ago. I like the toss about 40" size for general huckin' fun. I have a 55" Juka that I've put on hold because I had another project that came up. Actually now that I think about it I might tune up the big Juka this weekend.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:25 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Jeff, I'm using 1000mah packs in mine, 1350s work great also. The landing gear adds about 20 grams or so but it's worth it. Looks good, better for orientation and you can takeoff and land like a proper model.

The paint is Sharpy paint pens. I had a 48" Juka long time ago. I like the toss about 40" size for general huckin' fun. I have a 55" Juka that I've put on hold because I had another project that came up. Actually now that I think about it I might tune up the big Juka this weekend.

Thx Flop...I thought if I add the LG, which I will, then to shave back some wt I'll just go 1000mah

Dude I'm gonna have it delivered to you so you can decorate it....great job!!!
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:03 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
The paint is Sharpy paint pens.
You painted the plane in this post with paint pens? I'm impressed!
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:14 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
well here it is all put together. all i hae left is put radio gear on and put a landing gear on. this one of the first all 9mm kits!! it's ver rigid and ca't wait to get it in the air!!

Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:15 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
You painted the plane in this post with paint pens? I'm impressed!
Bryan, I did that one with paint and foam brush:

http://www.amazon.com/Advantage-4-Ou...021883&sr=1-59

Those work pretty well. But lately I've been using the paint pens. The down side to the paint pens is they are pricey. BTW the acrylic paints are pretty water resistant but surprisingly the paint pens smudge when wet.

An easy way to get more striking contrasts is to use regular black sharpie for pinstriping. Leave a little white space between colors and stripes for max effect.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:16 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeyreturns View Post
well here it is all put together. all i hae left is put radio gear on and put a landing gear on. this one of the first all 9mm kits!! it's ver rigid and ca't wait to get it in the air!!

Mikey
Nice! You gotta be pleased.