HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2008, 08:48 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jul 2006
113 Posts
Discussion
Jr buddy box

I just recently bought a JR 7202 and I'm trying to get a buddy box setup and working with this radio. I bought a cable today that connects the 7202 to one of my old futaba 4 channel radios. It works, but it uses all of the switchs and trims from the old futaba radio. I thought the plink system built into the JR would allow the slave radio to use the trim settings mixes etc. of the master radio. I've tried all the settings in the training link section.

Do I have to have another JR radio as the slave to accomplish this....and if so does anybody know if the s400 buddy box will work as I'm expecting.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodId=JSP98140

Thanks
nhale is offline Find More Posts by nhale
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2008, 08:50 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,093 Posts
As far as I know with computer radios both have to be set up for the model.
The trainer cable just sends the PPM signals along, not the stick and switch positions.

Pat MacKenzie.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 04, 2008, 10:16 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
for me i had to use a cheapo JR quattro box as my slave set to pi link + settings it uses all the trims "as long as the trims of the slave box are centered" and all the mixings from the master box as well as dual rates
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Oct 05, 2008, 09:12 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
It depends. With two JR computer radios, the Master has to be programmed to the model, but the Slave (if two are set up properly) only supplies stick inputs, and doesn't need to be programmed.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Oct 05, 2008, 11:01 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,961 Posts
What Pincone said also applies to using two Spektrum DX7 transmitters.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 05, 2008, 12:17 PM
New Braunfels Tx
Joined Oct 2005
42 Posts
I am also trying to setup a buddy box system using a DX7 and a JR 600 sport.
Do I set the DX7 to P-link and not have the 600 on?

Thanks
abarth is offline Find More Posts by abarth
Old Oct 05, 2008, 01:48 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
i set mine to pi link + the master TX is turned on the slave is not

so set your dx to pi link turn it on plug the cable in do not turn on the 600 and plug in the cable the box will turn on itself in slave mode and all should work
Old Oct 05, 2008, 03:18 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jul 2006
113 Posts
Many thanks to turbored21.... it turns out it does work just as expected with my old Futaba Conquest ... once I centered the trims on it and reversed the servos correctly. You just saved me some bucks because I would have bought another radio. One thing that is strange. When I used to use my old futaba radios together the slave box did not need to be turned on. With the JR 7202 it will not acknowledge my old Futaba as being connected until I power it on. I have taken the crystal out of this radio. Is this likely to cause any interference with other channels? Thanks.

Nelson
nhale is offline Find More Posts by nhale
Old Oct 05, 2008, 03:28 PM
New Braunfels Tx
Joined Oct 2005
42 Posts
Will either a mono or stereo cord work? I could only find a 6 foot mono cord at Radio Shack.

Thanks
abarth is offline Find More Posts by abarth
Old Oct 05, 2008, 04:53 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
you need a 6ft or longer MONO cable a stereo will act up

without a crystal it shouldnt emit any radio signal at all but im not 100% a more experienced radio guy may chime in here on this one

and your welcome Nhale i had the same issues as you i actually had to call horizon tech on mine because it wouldnt use the mixing i had in the master box for the V tail plane i was setting up "SLO V as a trainer = great btw" they helped me sort it out and i did nothing more than pass the information along