HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2014, 08:26 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,239 Posts
Question
pulsejet models??

Just picked up a HK PJ and wondering if you guys know of a decent model kit or ARF for this motor, thanx
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
308 Posts
Check out you tube. There are some nice runing examples there.

You need to make some mods, add kline regulator and make your own presure tank to make it run reliaable. ( all read in the description of videos)

Planes watch on viedo: Multiplex prop pusher jets, extreme flight delta wing arf modified.

From the above think that probably balsa usa force one, and bte delta wing could work.

Cheers

Juan
juanjulian is offline Find More Posts by juanjulian
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Nov 2001
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjulian View Post
Check out you tube. There are some nice runing examples there.

You need to make some mods, add kline regulator and make your own presure tank to make it run reliaable. ( all read in the description of videos)

Planes watch on viedo: Multiplex prop pusher jets, extreme flight delta wing arf modified.

From the above think that probably balsa usa force one, and bte delta wing could work.

Cheers

Juan
To make it run reliable on an RC airplane you will have to go to Methanol to make use of the Cline regulator. That does require a few mods to the flowjector.
hobbyboy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyboy
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
1,867 Posts
You'll have some fun. No throttle, they are either going or stopped. Some claim to be throttleable. It's a lie.

Wear good earplugs. I suggest you buy earplugs for everyone within about three miles too.

Don't run it too long stationary on the ground or it will melt. Stop it or fly it before it glows bright orange and you should be ok.

Here's a good one On a VERY remote Scottish island. His day job is flying a 747
RC Twin Pulse Jet (2 min 56 sec)
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Yesterday at 06:11 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
Joined Nov 2001
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Powell View Post
You'll have some fun. No throttle, they are either going or stopped. Some claim to be throttleable. It's a lie.

Wear good earplugs. I suggest you buy earplugs for everyone within about three miles too.

Don't run it too long stationary on the ground or it will melt. Stop it or fly it before it glows bright orange and you should be ok.

Here's a good one On a VERY remote Scottish island. His day job is flying a 747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-Ar7gb4tQ

I have a pulse jet that goes from 15 to 18 pounds at idle to 50 pounds using a throttle, no lie....... :-) Cyclone 50 by Bob Maddox. Also, have a valveless on propane that goes from about 3 pounds to 10 pounds by varying the propane flow. The small ones are very hard to do that with, but bigger ones are no problem.
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,239 Posts
thanx guys and BTW Im an old X U/C speed guy and have seen alotta those rockets set some records, even had a small tiger jet so their nothing new to me , anyway Looks like will need a twin tail model so what would you suggest?
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM
Joined Nov 2001
659 Posts
Funjet!
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Joined Nov 2001
659 Posts
Hobbyking pulse jet with new fuel system (cline and pressurized) (0 min 36 sec)
Old Today, 01:06 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
very good, so how and where did ya rig up a pressure tap, or is their one? would also like to see some pix of the dyna
on your funjet
Old Today, 02:25 AM
Joined Nov 2001
659 Posts
That's not mine. You will not need a tap but a bladder set up.
Start about here in this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...se+jet&page=41
Old Today, 07:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
I have a pulse jet that goes from 15 to 18 pounds at idle to 50 pounds using a throttle, no lie....... :-) Cyclone 50 by Bob Maddox. Also, have a valveless on propane that goes from about 3 pounds to 10 pounds by varying the propane flow. The small ones are very hard to do that with, but bigger ones are no problem.
I didn't know that. I have had several over the years starting with the original Dynajet and including a tiny OS one. Only ever used for control line. None of them were throttleable.

Steve Rickett, shown in the video I posted, used Italian ones. They were surprisingly inexpensive considering the probably low production numbers, about 300 Euros each (from memory). No regulator or pump, they just sucked fuel though the venturi, as the earlier ones all do. Worked fine, though his carbon home-made tanks are close to the venturi. Maybe using a pump is the path to a throttle?

Here in the UK it is near-impossible to find a place to fly them now because of the noise and because our model flying body's third-party insurance won't cover them. That's silly as they are no more powerful than the average turbine, which they do cover (without any AMA type waiver). They are a bit 'nannyish' so likely told the insurer to exclude them because of the noise.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Today at 07:53 AM.