HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2014, 02:14 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Question
Syma S33 battery upgrade

Hello,
I wanted to replace the original battery of my Syma S33 with something better.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21345
This works without any modification or do I have to change the connectors?
I'm not an expert on batteries, the one that I linked okay?
In addition, the original charger will continue to go well or do I replace it?

Thanks!
matti157 is offline Find More Posts by matti157
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 02:49 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti157 View Post
Hello,
I wanted to replace the original battery of my Syma S33 with something better.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21345
This works without any modification or do I have to change the connectors?
I'm not an expert on batteries, the one that I linked okay?
In addition, the original charger will continue to go well or do I replace it?

Thanks!
Hi, Yes that will work well since the Compact's are lighter than most.
You will need to change the heli's battery connections to X60 to match the battery.
I used to Velcro my 2200 lipos on to the bottom of the canopy to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible. Also you can move the battery forward or aft to suit the conditions.
As for your charger, well it will work-slowly!
If you're keen enough buy a good digital charger , they're cheap enough.
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Oct 05, 2014, 06:16 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
You will need to change the heli's battery connections to X60 to match the battery.
I used to Velcro my 2200 lipos on to the bottom of the canopy to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible. Also you can move the battery forward or aft to suit the conditions.
Thanks drambuidhe
now I'm still waiting for my arrival the helicopter but I prepare in advance ...
in practice the battery zippy has a connector X60, while the helicopter that type of connector you want?
because I have seen many adapters on hobbyking
or you can remove the connector from the helicopter and put the x60 without doing too much damage?

You know even link me a decent charger? thanks
Old Oct 06, 2014, 12:58 AM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
Hi drambuidhe, Still flying the FPV'S?. I've been on Vac and just got back home about a week ago. We have a small fishing cabin on a Lake in Eastern Wa. I fly my float planes off of the lake and I also have a couple of my Heli's over there, one of which is one of my Syma S33's. I can fly them in the area between our cabin and the Lake. I haven't tried to rig a float set-up on the S33 and due to the propensity of the electronics in the S33 to take a time out while flying, I probably won't go to the trouble of floats.

Here's a photo of the S33 flying at the lake. Didn't have any loss of signal, but I'm still leery of flying off of the water.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:05 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
I hope it goes well as a first experience this S33
the price was really good, about 50 €
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:14 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
in another thread i have seen this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Now I just have to figure out how to make the change to the original connector to put the X60
Old Oct 06, 2014, 09:55 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
matti157,
You need to buy some Male XT60 plugs to replace the stock Male plug on the Heli's ESC (Electronic Speed Control. ) You cut the male plug off of the S33's ESC and then solder on the new XT60 male plug, (make sure to observe the correct polarity) which will then mate up with the female plug on the Zippy Lipo.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

J
Old Oct 07, 2014, 12:26 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
thanks Jim
Old Oct 07, 2014, 06:25 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Hi drambuidhe, Still flying the FPV'S?. I've been on Vac and just got back home about a week ago. We have a small fishing cabin on a Lake in Eastern Wa. I fly my float planes off of the lake and I also have a couple of my Heli's over there, one of which is one of my Syma S33's. I can fly them in the area between our cabin and the Lake. I haven't tried to rig a float set-up on the S33 and due to the propensity of the electronics in the S33 to take a time out while flying, I probably won't go to the trouble of floats.

Here's a photo of the S33 flying at the lake. Didn't have any loss of signal, but I'm still leery of flying off of the water.

J
Hi Jim, Great to hear from you again. I hoped if I made noises on this thread again that you would appear
I am rather obsessed with fpv , particularly with doing so with my Cub float plane.
It's good that these helis are still going strong and that new folk are getting interested in tinkering too.
If it hadn't been for randomly buying a coax I'd never had discovered the wonderful world of rc!
I got mine down off the shelf yesterday and pondered the on going "rubbish" rc signal problems that it appears even the 2.4 suffers from.
A few years back I had a v-tail mixer which controlled two props on an rc boat. When you steered right ,one motor would speed up and the other slow down and vice versa , this then steered the boat. When you pushed throttle stick up,both motor's speed then increased together.
Can you see where I'm going? I reckon if I use two brushed motor esc's , one v-tail mixer and any old QUALITY rc tx and rx then my old so33g might never drop the signal again!! I could also stick a cheapy Orange flight stabilizer into the equation too, to help head holding.
It certainly keeps yer head busy trying to improve these things hey!!
Glad you're well anyway and still giving shed loads of great advice out
Sorry to monopolize this thread- I'm off now
P.S this is what I'm up to just now-
nicktwinnflying (2 min 38 sec)
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Oct 07, 2014, 08:44 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Very Nice fpv video, drambuidhe.

I shouldn't watch the fpv video's, as it makes me want to have a fpv set-up. If I would ever delve into the world of fpv, I believe I would set up a plane, like you have, rather than a quad copter, as I already have a number of planes that would be suitable for fpv.

drambuidhe, It's really good to hear from you again and that you are severely bitten by the r/c bug and as you know, there is no known cure. I was bit 65 years ago and I still suffer greatly from it's bite. lol.

As you know, I have several 2.4ghz DH 9118 Heli's and they don't suffer from signal loss, so I might be tempted to rig one of them with floats, even tho they don't have quite the power of the S33.

If you do decide to rig up the S33g with two esc's, v-tail mixer and a stabilizer, I would be interested to know the outcome.

J
Old Oct 09, 2014, 06:02 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
I got the s33 today and it's fantastic, I'm going to continue to fly and I have already uploaded 2 times the battery
maybe for you it will not be the best but this is the first time I make something fly

I can not wait to put a more powerful battery!

P.S. sorry for my poor english, but I'm Italian
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:10 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
matti157,

Glad to hear that you now have the S33 and have successfully flown it. It's a nice, easy to fly Heli.

I don't know if you are into modifying the heli's or not, but with a couple of modifications, the S33 can be flown out doors in a light breeze ( 4 to 5 miles per hour) There's a whole thread on RC Groups on how to modify the S33 to make it fly better.

The one thing that most everyone has a problem with is the loss of signal on the S33. Some are worst than others.

matti157, hope you get many enjoyable hours of flying your S33. There are lots of venders that sell replacement parts for it.

J
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:50 AM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
thanks jim,
I bought this for now
http://www.ebay.it/itm/181501662872?...84.m1439.l2649

I hope that it is enough to have more speed in forward
in addition to other changes that you would do?

I bought these in more
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...arehouse_.html
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:29 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti157 View Post
thanks jim,
I bought this for now
http://www.ebay.it/itm/181501662872?...84.m1439.l2649

I hope that it is enough to have more speed in forward
in addition to other changes that you would do?

I bought these in more
matti157,

It looks like you have the parts that you need to get more flight time out of the S33. By going with the 2200mAh Li-Po, you have increased the length of the power band (you will have a flatter discharge curve with the high "C" rating of the Zippy Li-Po) the stock battery has about a 10 to 12 "C" rating and the Zippy has a "C" rating of 25.

The Aftermarket Charger that you bought will be a lot better than the Stock one.

Be sure to let the motors on the Heli cool after each flight, they get very hot and if not allowed to cool, they will not last very long.

I'm not familiar with the aftermarket tail rotor that you have, but make sure that it fits the stock shaft and doesn't bind. You may also have to have a longer screw to fasten it to the stock rotor shaft. You will be able to determine that after you try fitting the new tail rotor.

I like to set my S33 up so that when the sticks are in neutral, the heli will fly slowly forward on it's own, but still can be reversed by pulling back on the right hand transmitter stick.

In it's stock configuration, the S33 should balance level, (stock battery installed) when picked up with your fingers, by lifting under the top blade holders. With the Zippy Li-Po installed, it should balance slightly nose down when lifting the heli.

Let us know how it flies after you get everything done.

J
Old Oct 12, 2014, 06:28 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
thank you very much for your explanation!

the tail rotor should be fine, as you can see from this video
Syma S33 Helicopter Tail Rotor Blade Mod (5 min 35 sec)

but what do you mean to flatter discharge curve?

I certainly will write the differences in flight, as soon as I get everything I ordered