HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:29 PM
United States, PA
Joined Feb 2013
92 Posts
Discussion
Kingfisher - fishing boat

This plan was published in a 1958 issue of American Modeler Magazine, which has been defunct for many years now. I have seen it posted on many other sites and thought I would put a copy here. There is Kingfisher build thread going on right now in the scale boat forum. If anyone thinks this might be an issue, let me know and I'll yank it right away.

HD
Heavy_Duty is offline Find More Posts by Heavy_Duty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:07 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Duty View Post
This plan was published in a 1958 issue of American Modeler Magazine, which has been defunct for many years now. I have seen it posted on many other sites and thought I would put a copy here. There is Kingfisher build thread going on right now in the scale boat forum. If anyone thinks this might be an issue, let me know and I'll yank it right away.

HD
Given it's 1958, I can't see that it's an issue. Any Idea when the magazine stopped, or whether anyone took it over? Are there any official sites selling back-up copies? Or, perhaps, displaying them for free?

People might be interested in what has happened to the Meccano magazine, which was a similar firm favourite with mechanical modelers during the 1950s. Someone has collected all the copies and posted them on a web site. There are a number of boat plans amongst them. I'll put a link in the LINKS thread...
dodgy is offline Find More Posts by dodgy
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:47 AM
United States, PA
Joined Feb 2013
92 Posts
The most recent version of the magazine I could find is Dec. 1967. I haven't been able to find any history. Here is a link to some info about it.

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/m...deler-list.htm
Heavy_Duty is offline Find More Posts by Heavy_Duty
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:24 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Duty View Post
The most recent version of the magazine I could find is Dec. 1967. I haven't been able to find any history. Here is a link to some info about it.

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/m...deler-list.htm

And on the second cover down we see an item: 'R/C boat by 'Plecan'. Another task - someone to go through all those covers and then email requesting scan of the articles about model boats...
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:03 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
OK, I'll bite. Let see if he is willing.

EDIT: Message sent.
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Last edited by blutoh; Jun 25, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:39 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
OK, I'll bite. Let see if he is willing.

EDIT: Message sent.
Thanks for that! Good Luck! We'll watch with interest...
Old Jan 01, 2014, 10:10 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,455 Posts
Plecan was Paul Plecan, a designer/builder, IIRC.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Jan 02, 2014, 12:54 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
456 Posts
Plecan was Paul Plecan, a designer/builder..

Thanks for the info. I see that he worked for Berkeley at one point, but most references to him on the net show aircraft. Boats really are rather a poor relation...
Old Jan 02, 2014, 09:05 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Hi dodgy,

I never got any replies to my multiple inquiries. Case closed?
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Jan 03, 2014, 05:04 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
Hi dodgy,

I never got any replies to my multiple inquiries. Case closed?
Seems to be. Most of the business of trying to gather data on old boats is like that: someone tells you something - you ask for more data - you wait - little happens...

I was quite surprised to find that a lot of emails I sent off to existing companies asking for permission to publish plans of old boats they (or their earlier corporate entities) never got responses. I set a limit of 5 repetitions, and got answers from about half. You would have thought that it was quite easy to say 'No' if that was what they wanted to do.

Still - simply having a forum gives everyone a place to go to if they have data and offers a chance of uncovering anything that may be out there. We would never have seen the KOMET by Wentzel's , or Bridge from Beckman & Co if we didn't have it...