HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2013, 01:22 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
We're now ready to button up the Tx case. Reconnect the toggle switch cable and make sure it doesn't interfere with the module case. Secure the board to the chassis.

When I do this again, I'm going to put the DHT module on the other side, which is the case's left side as seen from the back when opened. There's more room there.
RWalker is offline Find More Posts by RWalker
Last edited by RWalker; Jun 11, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2013, 01:29 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
We finish up by placing the antenna on top then doing a function check. Follow the FrSky binding procedures. In this case, the RX LED glows green, and all channel functions work great!
RWalker is offline Find More Posts by RWalker
Last edited by RWalker; Jun 11, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:40 AM
Earth-Europe-Finland-Espoo-Friisilš
Joined Sep 2007
666 Posts
Cool!

Tuomas
tuootal is offline Find More Posts by tuootal
Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:49 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmann View Post
I sent an email to Tony Stillman at Radio South. He said you can plug the newer 2.4ghz modules for the Futaba radios into the FG series and it will work. You can use Frsky, Corona and some others. You need the type with the screw on antennas. The module goes in upside down compared to the newer Futaba radios. I might get a module for mine from HK and bring the old FG back to life.
I just discovered this thread and completely go along with Tony Stillman on this one. No soldering whatever is involved, it works fine and the transmitter remains compatible with 72 MHz.
I have been fitting the FrSky DFT module to my Futaba Gold transmitters very simply.
It plugs in upside down as indicated, so the antenna connector needs to be moved to the other hole in the module (FrSky has conveniently provided an extra hole in the correct position).
A spacer is also required to fill the space around the smaller module and secure it mechanically. I made mine of plywood and balsa as shown in the pictures.
I'll try to post dimensions later.
Once the FrSky module is plugged in, it will be found that the meter in front of the transmitter pegs all the way to the right. This because the Futaba module drives the meter via a 4.7k resistor, while the FrSky module delivers ground on the meter output pin. There is no risk for the meter, but one can adjust the meter calibration pot inside the transmitter to compensate. Pictures show the meter calibration pot inside a 6-channel and a 7-channel transmitter. In both cases, the letter "M" shows which pot needs to be turned counter-clockwise about 1/4 turn. I adjusted for a reading of 10 with the FrSky module. When the Futaba module is fitted, the reading is 8.5.
The spacer also allows for installation of the later Futaba FM modules.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Oct 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 02:41 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,722 Posts
Here are the construction details of the spacer.
For a good fit, make sure the dimensions 16 mm and 17 mm are accurate.
Start by glueing the 3/8" balsa piece to the 1/64" ply floor, then the 1/32" ply and 3/16" balsa sides.
Then glue the 38x2 mm 1/32" ply catch to the 38x18 mm 1/32" ply plate and glue to the 3/8" balsa piece inside. Finally glue the 17x14 mm 1/32" ply catch to the 3/8" balsa piece outside.
I used medium cyanoacrylate glue for the assembly.
Finish is black acrylic paint over two coats of dope.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Oct 29, 2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:44 PM
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Oct 2008
12 Posts
Futaba FP-T3 Hack

Hi all, I have just successfully fitted an Orange RX Hack module to my old 3 channel transmitter. Once I located the signal output point it was pretty straightforward.Had to reverse the output of the throttle Pot and carefully set the pot position so that module would turn on. Bind / Range check LED was fitted into battery voltage indicator housing,glows green when on.http://s10.imagestime.com/out.php/i909138_image.jpg
747guy is offline Find More Posts by 747guy
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:07 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,886 Posts
Stewart302
Very neat conversion!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Dec 29, 2013, 05:16 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,742 Posts
I really like the way the LED looks.
Excellent conversion.
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
Old Feb 04, 2014, 09:35 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1 Posts
How to for converting a Futaba Gold series to 2.4ghz

Attached is a pdf of a little power point that I created to share with others that want to convert their Futaba Gold series to either a Corona or FrSky 2.4ghz system.
Bhart is offline Find More Posts by Bhart
Old Feb 04, 2014, 10:48 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,886 Posts
It is odd that the older FG module beside being bigger than the newer one was also installed upside-down like the Hitec module for the Eclipse-7&Prism-7. JMP_blackfoot and Bhart solution solve that well(allowing the use of 2.4 Ghz and still keep FM functional). Didn't know about the analog meter being driven via the module in older Futaba FG!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan