HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:35 PM
BoxerBob
Kentucky
Joined Mar 2009
10 Posts
Discussion
Covering repair

I need to repair a 1.5" slit in solartex covering of biplane wing.
Can I simply attach the solartex patch by heating it onto the original solartex covering or do I need to use some adhesive on the solartex patch such as poly tak?
Thanks!
Bob Fincher is offline Find More Posts by Bob Fincher
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:37 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,197 Posts
Solartex has it's own adhesive. Clean the area throughly to remove any oil residue, and solartex is bad for hanging onto it, so scrub scrub scrub!
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:53 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,602 Posts
The problem will be that if you simply cover over the slit that the area will never shrink tight. The proper way is to cut back to the ribs on either side and to any other stable supports around the slit and recover the whole opening. Then you can shrink it to match the rest of the wing.

A hint about how I like to do such things. I'll cut away the covering so that I leave a 1/8 to 3/16 lip of loose covering all around the opening. I then slit the corners so that I can bend and heat seal this loose lip to the face of the ribs, spars or other supports that frame the opening. That way when I heat the patch to seal it down it doesn't soften the oringinal joint and allow the covering to slip as the glue softens.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews