HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:19 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Discussion
HT-FPV Quad Frame Thread

I thought I would start a topic based on just this frame just like the topic VC-20-450 thread. This will be just dedicated to the discussions (and all the photos/videos) about this new amazing frame from HoverThings. Tom did an amazing job and I know we are all keeping him real busy.

Also like to give a BIG shout out to Juz who has inspired all of us with his videos to get a lot of us into this sport, I know he inspired me.

http://www.hoverthings.com

Here is my build

OpenPilot CopterControl

FrankenQuad CC protective case
Spektrum AR 7000 rx + sat rx
HT power distribution board
Turnigy Plush 30 amp ESCs
NTM 1200kv motors
NTM 28 series accessory pack

Gaui 8 inch props


Turnigy ESC programming card

400mW vTx
600XV camera
3dbi whip antenna
370mah 3s lipo for cam/vtx

GoPro Hero2 for onboard recording
LayerLens GoPro protection

Weight:
without batteries: 1138 grams
with 370 mAh battery and 3000 mAh battery: 1394 grams
with 370 mAh battery and 3300 mAh battery: 1420 grams
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Last edited by shdwkeeper; Apr 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:54 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
vic20owner's Avatar
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
This Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1626530

HoverThings FPV frame GPS 25 knot winds (0 min 32 sec)


Here's mine, Naza Flight Controller, 800mw 900mhz video TX (overkill), Spektrum AR7000+satellite, 500mah pack for video, 2200mah pack for flight pack, Fat Shark (basic) goggles. Omnidirectional antennas (rubber ducky). On the 2nd or 3rd pack my video starts to get choppy so I think I need a larger video pack. I was flying a WooKong but I don't need GPS for FPV so I removed it and went back to a Naza.

Before you ask for a carbon frame, it's an early prototype, see how the protector plate looks different. I have not gotten my hands on more of the material yet I am still testing it to see if it causes any problems with FPV but so far no issues at all.

HoverThings HT-FPV Flight with DJI Naza (4 min 34 sec)
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:58 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
This Thread:

Before you ask for a carbon frame, it's an early prototype, see how the protector plate looks different. I have not gotten my hands on more of the material yet I am still testing it to see if it causes any problems with FPV but so far no issues at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjWKe-7yucM
That carbon frame is very cool.
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:13 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Finally got my HT-FPV quad level and pretty stable without touching the AcceBias settings.

Here is what I did:

1) Reset all settings in Openpilot GCS and on CC board.
2) Reconfigured my transmitter (Futaba 9c with DM8) and made sure to all settings were default.
3) Switch the throttle to reverse mode ("Futaba Only" Setting I believe)
4) Made sure all settings on transmitter were 100%/100%.
5) Re-set the ESCs for the Maximum and Minimum throttle settings, then re-binded the receiver with transmitter, according to DM8 Manual.
6) Set EXP mode to -20% on Pitch/Roll & Yaw (Futaba is -20, other transmitters would probably be +20)
7) Setup Openpilot, recalibrate the controller, once all values in Openpilot are set, than place Quad on level surface and hit the LEVEL button. Quad should be perfectly level in flightmode window.
8) In Stabilization panel I used the settings attached, thanks to Vantasstic
9) Fly quad

Mine is VERY VERY LEVEL NOW. A little left and right drifting, but that could be the wind.

Hope this helps
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:44 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,155 Posts
Hey, Tom....

I've been emailing and PMing you for several days with no response. I burned up one of the "hacker type" blue can motors on the INS. Do you have another one I can buy? If not, where can I find one? Do you know the name of the motor? There's nothing on there to identify it.

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:29 AM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
Blucross's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
Finally got my HT-FPV quad level and pretty stable without touching the AcceBias settings.

Here is what I did:

1) Reset all settings in Openpilot GCS and on CC board.
2) Reconfigured my transmitter (Futaba 9c with DM8) and made sure to all settings were default.
3) Switch the throttle to reverse mode ("Futaba Only" Setting I believe)
4) Made sure all settings on transmitter were 100%/100%.
5) Re-set the ESCs for the Maximum and Minimum throttle settings, then re-binded the receiver with transmitter, according to DM8 Manual.
6) Set EXP mode to -20% on Pitch/Roll & Yaw (Futaba is -20, other transmitters would probably be +20)
7) Setup Openpilot, recalibrate the controller, once all values in Openpilot are set, than place Quad on level surface and hit the LEVEL button. Quad should be perfectly level in flightmode window.
8) In Stabilization panel I used the settings attached, thanks to Vantasstic
9) Fly quad

Mine is VERY VERY LEVEL NOW. A little left and right drifting, but that could be the wind.

Hope this helps
Ok, so I started from scratch again and followed these steps and copied the same settings you got from Van. Lo and behold it was flying perfectly level without touching the accelbias!

The yaw response is a bit mushy for my tastes and I feel like I need to do a bit of fine tuning but man, this got me closer to where I want to be more anything else I have tried with the CC thus far. Thanks for sharing that, and thanks to Van as well.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:31 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucross View Post
Ok, so I started from scratch again and followed these steps and copied the same settings you got from Van. Lo and behold it was flying perfectly level without touching the accelbias!

The yaw response is a bit mushy for my tastes and I feel like I need to do a bit of fine tuning but man, this got me closer to where I want to be more anything else I have tried with the CC thus far. Thanks for sharing that, and thanks to Van as well.
np. I know. I didn't know what to expect but I had some settings wrong and once I did all of these steps I finally got it level thanks to some of the Stab settings from Van.

The Yaw is a little mushy I agree, but I can tweak those as I go. But this is a good start.
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:21 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
150 Posts
shdwkeeper, This is the exact build I want to do, like Juz. This is my first build. I will put off the FPV part for a second phase. Regarding Hobby King order, Other than the motors,Motor Accessory pack, Plush ESCs, ESC programmer. Are there any misc items I should include in my order that I'd need? Any advice?I just ordered a battery from ebay. I have my Copter Control. I just want to get the basic FPV quadcopter airborn before I throw $$ on cameras and transmitters.

Thanks.

I spent a lot of time researching my first build, and just like yours, I think is a great combo.

Max
disneytoy is offline Find More Posts by disneytoy
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:11 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneytoy View Post
shdwkeeper, This is the exact build I want to do, like Juz. This is my first build. I will put off the FPV part for a second phase. Regarding Hobby King order, Other than the motors,Motor Accessory pack, Plush ESCs, ESC programmer. Are there any misc items I should include in my order that I'd need? Any advice?I just ordered a battery from ebay. I have my Copter Control. I just want to get the basic FPV quadcopter airborn before I throw $$ on cameras and transmitters.

Thanks.

I spent a lot of time researching my first build, and just like yours, I think is a great combo.

Max
If you want LED lights, some heat shrink tubing, extra wire, EC3 plugs, some Nylon standoffs. This is just to fill-out your HobbyKing order correct? I would also order some spare motors, accessory packs and ESCs, probably 2 of each. Also the Nano-tech batteries are very good.
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Last edited by shdwkeeper; Apr 20, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:56 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
150 Posts
Thanks for the info. Again a first timers question if you don't mind. Having to order on-line and not being able to see the items in person, what size, spec. shrink tube, and wire should I need?

Thanks.
disneytoy is offline Find More Posts by disneytoy
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:15 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneytoy View Post
Thanks for the info. Again a first timers question if you don't mind. Having to order on-line and not being able to see the items in person, what size, spec. shrink tube, and wire should I need?

Thanks.
Probably get 14-16AWG wire: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=466

and 2mm-4mm shrink tube: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rink_Tube.html
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old May 12, 2012, 08:16 PM
ShOP loCAL FaRMers
Puget Sound Flyer's Avatar
Caffe-nation
Joined Jan 2004
650 Posts
Maiden day for my HT FPV.


Scorpion Motors
CC PHX 25's
Grauper Props
Naza FC
JR 921 Rx
Replay HD video cam
Security Cam
Immersion 5.8 Rx/Tx
JR 9303
Zipties/3M VHB/Duct Tape/Velcro
Puget Sound Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Puget Sound Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 08:25 PM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
I love the new frames.... i am always tempted to build one.... i think i have a spare multwii.... hmmm
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:21 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Closing this thread so we can keep all discussion in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1626530
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Frankenquad FPV Zombie Frame Thread AeroVideoUS Multirotor Talk 467 Sep 08, 2013 09:06 PM
Discussion VC-20-450 Quad Frame Thread vic20owner Multirotor Talk 7038 Jan 21, 2013 10:19 PM
New Product xRotor FPV Quad Frame Qrome Multirotor Talk 88 Aug 13, 2012 10:02 AM
Build Log Micro FPV Quad "Quadrixette FPV-frame" daign Multirotor Talk 60 Mar 18, 2012 03:32 PM