Working Current: <7mA
Upload Interface: USB
Height Range: -500~9000m
Height Accuracy: 0.3m
Operating Temp Range: -20c~65c
Temperature Accuracy: 1c
Sampling Fequency: 1hz/2hz/4hz/8hz
Storage Capacity: 63h(1hz)
Looks good, small, light and cheap price!
Vegas_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Vegas_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:09 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Just received this from HobbyKing and can't get USB download. I installed Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge Driver and can't find HK-Altimeter.exe file. Any suggestions????
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,360 Posts
I too would appreciate some help with this. I'm having exactly the same problem.

I received the HK altimeter yesterday and something definitely seems to be wrong. When I plug the altimeter into the USB drive and the drive into the PC, as instructed, the computer apparently can't even see the new drive (it doesn't show up on "My Computer").

But the strange thing is that when first plugged in, Windows says "found new hardware" then "new hardware is ready for use". The LEDs on the altimeter and USB drive light up as they should, but that's all. No software such as the "HK-Altimeter.exe" file referred to in the (very cryptic) so-called instructions shows up anywhere.

I'm running Win XP SP3. Thanks!
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:02 PM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
Looks like the files are on the files tab at the above link in post #1. Scroll down to see it. HK usually does not include files with their shipped products. They prefer to post the download or link to the files on the product description file tab. One of the feed back posts says it works well. Every one else never found the files and gave up.
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:24 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaktech View Post
Looks like the files are on the files tab at the above link in post #1.
Thank you, sir. The files are indeed there, as you say.

I tried downloading some of them (not sure exactly which ones I need) and can now get the screen with the various options (data transfer, configure altimeter, etc). But I can't get any communication between altimeter and PC. I think (hope) it's just a matter of tinkering around with the Com port settings etc until I get that problem sorted out. Which may take a while because I don't really understand all this stuff.

But progress has been made!

Thanks again for the help - I normally do check that Files tab but didn't this time, for some reason.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:33 PM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Flew the HobbyKing Altitude Logger tonight - sweet...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:07 AM
Amritsar, India
Joined Dec 2007
1 Posts
help with setting up the hobbyking altimeter

I can't get any communication between altimeter and PC. When I plug the altimeter into the USB drive and the drive into the PC, as instructed, the computer apparently can't even see the new drive (it doesn't show up on "My Computer"). The blue light on the altimeter does glow up. I am running Win 7.

Same problem faced by Harry D and Piper J3

Please someone help.

Hardeep
India
hsgujral7 is offline Find More Posts by hsgujral7
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:32 AM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Sollentuna
Joined Aug 2010
221 Posts
The altimeter doesn't show up as a new drive like an usb-stick. You have to use the accompanying software to download your data from the altimeter to your pc. I'm running WinXP so I can't verify that the software runs under Win7, others have to chime in for that.

If you haven't downloaded the software yet, it's available from the files tab on the atimeter page at HobbyKing.

/Stefan
SBS_Pilot is online now Find More Posts by SBS_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:36 AM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBS_Pilot View Post
The altimeter doesn't show up as a new drive like an usb-stick. You have to use the accompanying software to download your data from the altimeter to your pc. I'm running WinXP so I can't verify that the software runs under Win7, others have to chime in for that.

If you haven't downloaded the software yet, it's available from the files tab on the atimeter page at HobbyKing.

/Stefan
Then you have to assign a USB port #. I think it is #4. Could be trial and error to find correct USB assignment.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Aug 2010
221 Posts
Yes, I'm afraid you're right about trial and error because on my machine it's #10.

It is possible to find the port number in the system information, but for anyone who's not used to using that information it's probably faster to just try all port number until it works.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:28 AM
Gary L
Dexter, Kansas
Joined Oct 2009
231 Posts
On my Vista machine, the port is COM3. It shows up in Device Manager under "Ports (COM & LPT)" as:

"Silicon Labs CP210X USB to UART Bridge (COM3)"

As an aside, I've lost the airborne 'chiclet' from my HK setup. If anyone has one they don't use, see my Wanted ad here on RCG under category Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous.
AMA69405 is offline Find More Posts by AMA69405
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
221 Posts
Does anyone know what the connector-type on the altimeter is called? I want to make myself a few spares...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:30 AM
Norway, Ostfold, Moss
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Youtube video

Hobbyking Altimeter, Bixler & GoPro @ Rødsund / Moss / Norway (4 min 12 sec)
1538Moss is offline Find More Posts by 1538Moss
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:08 PM
Newby on the loose
The Netherlands, GE, Ermelo
Joined Mar 2013
44 Posts
can anyone tell me how to power this little piece of fun?
I am absolutly not technical but figured out allready i cant plug it into my RX since ive got my plane (axn floater) powered with an 11.1v 2200mah 3s Lipo, so if i plug it directly into my RX ill blow the altimeter......but how do i connect it then? and if i need other connectors or anything, can you post the links to HK for me, so i directly know what to order!

Did that make sense?? i hope, and i hope someone can help me!
Deinum24 is offline Find More Posts by Deinum24
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:06 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinum24 View Post
Did that make sense?? i hope, and i hope someone can help me!
The receiver is powered by the BEC in your speed control which likely supplies 4.8 volts to the radio ... if the altimeter came with a "servo plug" then that's what it's designed to do. Plug it into an open receiver port and go fly.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev