HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Oct 2004
602 Posts
Friday we did 8 laps with the Antares, a personal best.
Without a glider to fly because of a mishap on Saturday I encouraged Rick to fly the Antares Sunday.
He had the sticks for a minute or two prior but this would be his first real flight. Well the real "Master" did 8 laps with a high energy finish and perfect landing.
When he turned to hand the transmitter back he had the "Antares Smile" on his face.
Rick likes this glider and why not. Super strong and well built. It's amazing to see it scoot with such a flat glide. It handles well and lands slow.
Thanks to everyone who made the effort to attend.
You folks are the pioneers of US GPS racing.

Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:45 PM
Team Horizon
United States, CA, Montague
Joined Jan 2004
211 Posts
Well I hope I didn't look too goofy with that "Antares Smile" on my face because I will be looking like that a lot from now on. I picked up a brand new Antares from Bob at SUSA this morning to replace my now dearly departed Ventus. To my eye its not nearly the beauty queen the Ventus was, but does it ever look good while going around the GPS Triangle course.

This GPS stuff is even more fun now that I have some experience with the tactics and strategy of XC. I have a much better understanding of how best to get around the course. Just like XC, the best part is the last 10 minutes when you are racing to the finish, constantly evaluating the air and calculating the best way to utilize it such that you are just about out of altitude at the finish. But, unlike XC, you get to do that last 10 minutes several times a day and it doesn't require a vehicle to do it. I won't mention the massive performance difference between even a normal 1/3 scale model and an MXC. You will be more likely to believe it when it comes from Dean anyway.

Hopefully, by the first of next year, the new Sky Navigator software for Android and iOS will be available and we won't have to use these clunky Ipaqs any more.

Many, many thanks to Dean for keeping the GPS Triangle dream alive in the USA. When the rest of you guys catch on you will be kicking yourselves in the butt that you didn't start doing it sooner.

Rick

PS Just to be clear, I love XC racing. It is a super event in its own right for many reasons. I hope it flourishes as well.

PPS Imagine a world with enough places to fly and enough XC and GPS events on the calendar that there would be no good reason to fly those puny little "sticks with wings" F3J planes. Oh, I must be delirious from the smell of fresh Antares carbon fiber.
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
Last edited by rshelby; Jul 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:36 AM
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2009
165 Posts
GPS Racing at Visalia.
I talked to Chris Pratt last weekend about triangle racing as a part of the monthly aero tow.

He is all for the idea as long as it doesn’t create a traffic problem for others who might be flying in the triangle path or on landing approach.

With that in mind I’d like to suggest that we have a white board on hand where we could post lap count and speed. An informal contest if you will.

Maybe it could be done on Friday afternoon.

I don’t want to change the informal relaxed atmosphere that makes the monthly aero tow so much fun, so if anyone objects please so.
Mac37 is offline Find More Posts by Mac37
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,923 Posts
Condolences and Congratulations Rick..There is a place it is called Europe.
Do you want to read a report on the CZ Triangle event at Znojmo??
LJ F3J is dumb, but not because of the models...
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Jul 25, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:44 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
Rick, what happened? Axel doesn't look too good...he's going to need prosthetic feet and some skin grafts.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
Team Horizon
Joined Jan 2004
211 Posts
At some point during the weekend or maybe even before, I think one of the wings got cracked. Every now and then during flight it would suddenly snap roll. I thought I had just gotten the cg too far back and was stalling it. I added another couple of ounces of lead to the nose and it seemed to be better. But then just as I was entering the course for a speed run, it snap rolled again so hard that one of the wings came off. It didnít fly too good with just the one wing. It impacted the ground about 150 feet from where we were standing. It was going straight down at 265 kph.

The wing that came off in flight slowly floated to the ground. When I retrieved it, the carbon under the obechi was broken on the bottom skin. The break ran from across the twin servo opening for the flap and spoiler servos outward to the spar. I am thinking that it may have been cracked for a while, occasionally shifting enough to twist the wing and make the plane snap roll.

At least the devastation was so complete that I never, even for a nanosecond, contemplated rebuilding it. The only usable piece left is the outboard wing panel from the wing that came off in flight. Axel is really beat up but will probably fly again after some plastic surgery. He is the biggest piece left that was located in the nose of the aircraft. The rest of the pieces from the nose section are about the size of a dime or smaller.

Rick
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:47 AM
Team Horizon
Joined Jan 2004
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Do you want to read a report on the CZ Triangle event at Znojmo??
Absolutely, Larry. I am aware of the website http://www.gps-triangle.net/ Is there more information elsewhere?

Rick
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:22 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Way to go, Mac. I like it!

Sorry I missed the event. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac37 View Post
GPS Racing at Visalia.
I talked to Chris Pratt last weekend about triangle racing as a part of the monthly aero tow.

He is all for the idea as long as it doesn’t create a traffic problem for others who might be flying in the triangle path or on landing approach.

With that in mind I’d like to suggest that we have a white board on hand where we could post lap count and speed. An informal contest if you will.

Maybe it could be done on Friday afternoon.

I don’t want to change the informal relaxed atmosphere that makes the monthly aero tow so much fun, so if anyone objects please so.
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:59 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Hi Dean,

The summer vacation schedule is filling up quickly. Are you going to host this event again this year and, if so, do you have dates?

Thanks,

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Oct 2004
602 Posts
Mike,
Should have something soon.
Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL